• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Questions for early Alaskan cruisers!

OK it may be a silly question but are there any Harley shops nearby the ports to buy T-shirts. We have friends who love to get shirts when we vacation. when we toured in 2004 there were some just cant remember where.....

Squid
Um I didn't really LOOK for this, so I have no idea if they were at all the ports but I did see a Harley store when I was walking around the stores near the port in Ketchikan. So there's definitely that one. the other ports might have had them too, I just didn't notice them or look for them. Hope that helps!

OK it may be a silly question but are there any Harley shops nearby the ports to buy T-shirts. We have friends who love to get shirts when we vacation. when we toured in 2004 there were some just cant remember where.....

Squid

LOL - since we booked this cruise, DH has been on the "Harley Store Search". Every port including Vancouver has a Harley store. Here's the info he has:

Vancouver:
Trev Deeley Motorcycles
1875 Boundary Rd.

Skagway:
Chilkoot Pass H-D
750 Broadway St.

Juneau:
Taku H-D
263 Marine Way

Ketchikan:
Inside Pass H-D
34 Front St.
(inside Ketch. Mining Co. bldg)

We were just told by friends of ours that used to live in Alaska that sometimes these stores will sell a "package" of 5 shirts - one from each Alaska Harley store (there are also stores in Denali & Fairbanks). Hopefully we can find this in our first Alaska port & save some time!

Our gang did a private tour with Harv & Marv also (2 boats of 12 people) and everyone I talked to really enjoyed it.

We sail Aug. 2nd. I read tripadvisor a LOT, and everyone says Harv and Marv are beyond extraordinary. We are a party of 7, and we have their large boat all to ourselves (Kids are 10 and 7. They will not put kids on a 'public tour' as they have had too many prior problems. I understand, and since they are _still_ cheaper than DCL, it's a great deal.

Anyway, H & M say they are happy if they can see 2-3 whales/trip. Whale watching is always a risk, but it was my MUST do. I saw a humpback in Boston, when I was 16 (that was 25 years ago.) I still consider it momentous event in my life and really wanted my kids to have the experience.:thumbsup2

Did anyone get these from Room Service? I know they were hard to come by in Europe, and was hoping they'd be available in AK.

Thanks!

Um I didn't really LOOK for this, so I have no idea if they were at all the ports but I did see a Harley store when I was walking around the stores near the port in Ketchikan. So there's definitely that one. the other ports might have had them too, I just didn't notice them or look for them. Hope that helps!
LOL - since we booked this cruise, DH has been on the "Harley Store Search". Every port including Vancouver has a Harley store. Here's the info he has:

Vancouver:
Trev Deeley Motorcycles
1875 Boundary Rd.

Skagway:
Chilkoot Pass H-D
750 Broadway St.

Juneau:
Taku H-D
263 Marine Way

Ketchikan:
Inside Pass H-D
34 Front St.
(inside Ketch. Mining Co. bldg)

We were just told by friends of ours that used to live in Alaska that sometimes these stores will sell a "package" of 5 shirts - one from each Alaska Harley store (there are also stores in Denali & Fairbanks). Hopefully we can find this in our first Alaska port & save some time!

Thats exactly what I am looking for a 5 pack!

THANKS so much both of you!

Squid

First of all, I have LOVED reading this thread! We leave June 6th for Vancouver!:cool1: My questions for Alaska cruisers:

*Anyone done the Mendenhall Glacier Float Trip?
*Any feedback on the Pacific Rim?

We are booked for the Mendenhall Glacier Float Trip for our cruise in a few weeks. I have a daughter who had ACL surgery in February, and I've been worried that maybe since this excursion involves a raft that it might be too extreme for her. She appears to be doing great with physical therapy and all of that, but I just don't want to do anything that could re-injure her. Any feedback on this excursion? Is it rough at all? Do we need to provide our own waterproof gear (shoes, ponchos, etc.)? Would we be able to bring our regular camera, or do you get wet?

Also, if anyone has stayed at the Pacific Rim, I'd love to hear how it was. TIA!:goodvibes

Susan

First of all, I have LOVED reading this thread! We leave June 6th for Vancouver!:cool1: My questions for Alaska cruisers:

*Anyone done the Mendenhall Glacier Float Trip?
*Any feedback on the Pacific Rim?

We are booked for the Mendenhall Glacier Float Trip for our cruise in a few weeks. I have a daughter who had ACL surgery in February, and I've been worried that maybe since this excursion involves a raft that it might be too extreme for her. She appears to be doing great with physical therapy and all of that, but I just don't want to do anything that could re-injure her. Any feedback on this excursion? Is it rough at all? Do we need to provide our own waterproof gear (shoes, ponchos, etc.)? Would we be able to bring our regular camera, or do you get wet?

Also, if anyone has stayed at the Pacific Rim, I'd love to hear how it was. TIA!:goodvibes

Susan

I have been researching this excursion for our Aug. trip. From what I read it is very mild...to some disappointingly so, but not me. There are only a few rapids and I've heard it's fun and just enough for beginners. They do supply rain gear, including boots I believe, and rain jackets. Please post about this trip when you get back...I'm curious to see what you thought of it.

Kelly

I would like a review of the newly opened Mammoth Waterfalls Zipline excursion. Have any Disers gone on that? What did you think...
Thanks,
Shirley

Is anyone doing (or did) the excursions DCL offers in Vancouver pre or post cruise? Wondering how they were and if they were worth it.

Does anyone know what the Castaway members get? I know the Platinum get a scarf...what do the other levels get??

THANKS!!

I'm just curious but for those that have been on an Alaska cruise, I have a question. Do you know what characters will be on the Alaska Cruise?

I'm just curious but for those that have been on an Alaska cruise, I have a question. Do you know what characters will be on the Alaska Cruise?

I've merged your thread with the longer AK thread. Check page 29 for the answer to your question.

We sail Aug. 2nd. I read tripadvisor a LOT, and everyone says Harv and Marv are beyond extraordinary. We are a party of 7, and we have their large boat all to ourselves (Kids are 10 and 7. They will not put kids on a 'public tour' as they have had too many prior problems. I understand, and since they are _still_ cheaper than DCL, it's a great deal.

Anyway, H & M say they are happy if they can see 2-3 whales/trip. Whale watching is always a risk, but it was my MUST do. I saw a humpback in Boston, when I was 16 (that was 25 years ago.) I still consider it momentous event in my life and really wanted my kids to have the experience.:thumbsup2

What kind of problems have they had with kids before? We are 2 adults and 3 kids - does that mean we need to get a private tour?

What kind of problems have they had with kids before? We are 2 adults and 3 kids - does that mean we need to get a private tour?

With a quick Google search, I found their website and this is posted on it:
"By design our company is one of the smallest Whale Watching Companies in Juneau. Most of our boats carry 6 or less passengers, offering an intimate and personal setting for our passengers. I personally have been providing these tours for over six years now. Over this time and on numerous occasions I have had the unfortunate experience of children ruining the experience for others, jeopardizing the entire tour and even shortening the length of our tour. As you can imagine this is an uncomfortable situation for everyone involved. In response to these unfortunate events we have had to implement a minimum age policy that restricts children under the age of 13, unless an Exclusive Tour is booked.

This policy is being implemented to maintain the quality of service to all of our passengers and not to discriminate against children. Our Goal for each and every tour is to make it the most enjoyable and positive experience for all."

- Dreams

I have a Ketchikan excursion question... We are booked to do the trolly tour there but I read somehwere that that was a bad tour. I have a 8 and 4 year old so can't do the ziplines. Is the lighthouse, totems and Eagles a better choice there? thanks!

We were on the inaugural Alaska sailing and did the City Highlights, Totems and Creek Street by Trolley Tour in Ketchikan. We were disappointed with the tour. A brief summary of our tour is as follows: We boarded the trolley from the pier (make sure you get there early to ensure you get a proper forward facing seat and are not on the sideways bench)...we took a quick tour through the downtown area and then spent 30 minutes at the Saxman Native Village...we boarded the trolley again and headed to Creek Street where you have 30 minutes to tour Creek Street and then you can decide to take the trolley back to the ship or walk back on your own. We decided to walk back to the ship on our own and walked through the downtown shopping area.

Please note that since we were on the inaugural sailing, it is possible that the tours may be different based on guests reviews because DCL was interested in hearing our feedback on the excursions (both good & bad).

Whil we did not take the Lighthouses, Totems & Eagles excursion, we did hear from people that took it that they were disappointed, but again based on guest reviews, the excursions could be altered.

Since you have children, I would recommend the Disney Exclusive The Great Alaskan Lumberjack show. We had a blast. They really got the kids involved in the show and seeing the smiles on their faces was priceless. After our show the kids (and the adults) were able to meet the lumberjacks and also get pictures and autographs.

With a quick Google search, I found their website and this is posted on it:
"By design our company is one of the smallest Whale Watching Companies in Juneau. Most of our boats carry 6 or less passengers, offering an intimate and personal setting for our passengers. I personally have been providing these tours for over six years now. Over this time and on numerous occasions I have had the unfortunate experience of children ruining the experience for others, jeopardizing the entire tour and even shortening the length of our tour. As you can imagine this is an uncomfortable situation for everyone involved. In response to these unfortunate events we have had to implement a minimum age policy that restricts children under the age of 13, unless an Exclusive Tour is booked.

This policy is being implemented to maintain the quality of service to all of our passengers and not to discriminate against children. Our Goal for each and every tour is to make it the most enjoyable and positive experience for all."

- Dreams

I'm very glad they quoted the website. I have read the most incredible reviews of this company, and seen phenomenal pictures that people have posted. I can understand that my post came off strangely. I have booked with them, and can't wait. However, as much as I adore my children, I am fully aware that they can be a handful at times. (My son, then 5, completely melted down at the butterfly sanctuary on St. Maarten when we cruised last.) I get it that H & M don't want a boat with 6 people, where you have a family of 4 and another couple, and the couple end up displeased with the trip because the younger passengers are having a bad day. I can't wait until I return and can say more, but I'm super excited about sailing with them!

FWIW, I've found H & M to be incredibly nice and relatively economical. We have a private tour on their larger boat and are paying $140 + tax per individual. They provide all transport and will offer a courtesy stop of 15 mins. at Mendenhall Glacier. This is in line with, or cheaper than most similar excursions. The captains of these boats live on the water in AK, and REALLY know their whales. Please check tripadvisor for reviews. If whale watching is your _thing_, I honestly don't think there is a better provider.

We were on the inaugural Alaska sailing and did the City Highlights, Totems and Creek Street by Trolley Tour in Ketchikan. We were disappointed with the tour. A brief summary of our tour is as follows: We boarded the trolley from the pier (make sure you get there early to ensure you get a proper forward facing seat and are not on the sideways bench)...we took a quick tour through the downtown area and then spent 30 minutes at the Saxman Native Village...we boarded the trolley again and headed to Creek Street where you have 30 minutes to tour Creek Street and then you can decide to take the trolley back to the ship or walk back on your own. We decided to walk back to the ship on our own and walked through the downtown shopping area.

Please note that since we were on the inaugural sailing, it is possible that the tours may be different based on guests reviews because DCL was interested in hearing our feedback on the excursions (both good & bad).

Whil we did not take the Lighthouses, Totems & Eagles excursion, we did hear from people that took it that they were disappointed, but again based on guest reviews, the excursions could be altered.

Since you have children, I would recommend the Disney Exclusive The Great Alaskan Lumberjack show. We had a blast. They really got the kids involved in the show and seeing the smiles on their faces was priceless. After our show the kids (and the adults) were able to meet the lumberjacks and also get pictures and autographs.

My parents did that trolley tour and did not think it was at all worth the money. Mom said there wasn't anyone at Saxman, so you got out, took some pictures, and that was it. With no explanation of what you were seeing, it was pointless. And she said they could have just walked the downtown. She just didn't see spending the money on what was basically a bus.

Second the rec for the Great Lumberjack Show. We loved that. My DD(5) and I did the Potlatch Park with exclusive youth activity and the DCL exclusive LB show. Both were really fun. The park visit was neat and not too long. The guide told stories about the totems that were appropriate for the kids, but interesting to me. Like how one is basically the native version of Hansel and Gretel. The kids got to paint part of the totem that is going up and meet the carver. I booked the "DCL exclusive" LB show on the LB show website on my own for less than what DCL was charging, btw. You pick your tickets up inside the gift shop. Seating is first come.

Does anyone have a recommendation for shoes? Is a regular sport type shoe ok or would a hiking type shoe be better?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter