Questions for early Alaskan cruisers!

My specific question is what characters were onboard in "special" attire?

I know when we did the transatlantic, they had the fab 5 and some of the others in pirate costumes for pirate night and in Spanish styled garb when we got to Spain. Looking forward to seeing what they come up with for Alaska!

Someone has probably answered this already but since there are so many pages, I thought I'd weigh in just in case. Donald is wearing a black and red buffalo check jacket and hat. Minnie is wearing fur mukluks (boots) and a fur-trimmed parka with hood. Mickey is dressed for fishing...yellow suspendered hip-wader pants and hat and cool black and red boots. Goofy was kind of disappointing to me. It seems to be an outfit used at Expedition Everest....white snowpants and jacket with ski googles and a blue backpack. The characters wandered around on deck on Tracy Arm day (missed Minnie that day but saw her later).

Glad to hear you enjoyed this excursion; we are booked with Harv and Marv in our own private boat for Juneau also. I believe our excursion time is 8:30am. I sure hope we see plenty of whales.... hearing that one posters report about one of the tours not seeing any and yours about only seeing one concerns me....

I saw five or six humpbacks on my excursion in Juneau and more than that the same evening on deck (starboard side...whales and warm sun!). I missed the orcas on the last sea day (and they were on the port side and I swear I was looking out our little portholes at the same time someone said they were out there). We missed a very rare sighting of a pod of orcas in Vancouver harbour by 24 hours. They were spotted swimming under the bridge and around the harbour on May 11.

Has anyone on here noted that we got a Mickey hand for sailaway that incorrectly listed the dates of the cruise as May 3 - 11?!!!! I was tempted to say I was going to stay on until the 11th since the hand said so!

Someone has probably answered this already but since there are so many pages, I thought I'd weigh in just in case. Donald is wearing a black and red buffalo check jacket and hat. Minnie is wearing fur mukluks (boots) and a fur-trimmed parka with hood. Mickey is dressed for fishing...yellow suspendered hip-wader pants and hat and cool black and red boots. Goofy was kind of disappointing to me. It seems to be an outfit used at Expedition Everest....white snowpants and jacket with ski googles and a blue backpack. The characters wandered around on deck on Tracy Arm day (missed Minnie that day but saw her later).

Also Keani and Koda from Brother Bear!

225880_1935945409143_1557574668_1992241_5973476_n.jpg

. This is Keani's 'scary bear' pose!

The port security people don't start working till 11AM, so if you are there earlier you will be standing in line. The line is INSIDE the building and there is VERY limited seating in this area. There is a small newstand and I think a place that sells coffee and beverages. I didn't make it to that side of the room when reboarding for the B2B (was able to process through with a mobility imparied friend and we waited on the benches on the other side of the room and went in through the cast member entrance).

Once you are through security you go into the part of the terminal with the DCL check in lines, and there are plenty of chairs there for waiting as well as a separate area for concierge/platinum members.

Thanks so much for this info. Since we're taking my DM who really can't stand for any length of time, we're trying to find a way to minimize her discomfort. Hopefully we'll be able to find her a seat if we do have a long wait before we get through security.

I definately understand that there are factors that may cause them to alter the route on some sailings; and if that were to happen (even on my sailing) while I might be disappointed, I would certainly understand.
My concern/complaint was that it was being said that Disney was not allowed to go the east side due to it being their first year. Now if DCL knew/knows that they will be unable to sail that side of the island their entire first year- their website should reflect that. Currently their website has them going in between the island, not around it.
With that said; I just read an update on one of the blogs posted here on the first page that Disney went around the island because it was their first sailing, the blogger did not mention anything about the first year, only about the first sailing. So maybe (hopefully) this was only the case for the first sailing and this coming weeks sailing will go in between the island and Vancouver like originally expected. Time will tell.....
I know we will have a wonderful time in a few weeks regardless, but I certainly hope we go the route I have been anticipating....

It was just the first time (on the way up). We sailed on the inside on the way south. The captain said it was a B.C. (or maybe Canadian) law that they needed to satisfy themselves on how the ship handled. It was rough the first day but we made it just fine!

Also Keani and Koda from Brother Bear!

225880_1935945409143_1557574668_1992241_5973476_n.jpg

. This is Keani's 'scary bear' pose!

I only saw the bears once (and didn't get pictures....this one is awesome)! For some reason, I was not in character-spotting mode on this trip. My mom ran right into Sorcerer Mickey on the way back from the restroom when I was sitting waiting in Studio Sea. I did run into Ariel once.

I have a question I don't believe has been asked yet.

Was there duty free on the ship? I am not sure if the "duty free" rules are really applicable. I am specifically interested in the fragrances that have been sold in the past. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Everything sold on board is considered duty free and sold without taxes. Just like on other cruises, the stores are closed while in port.

Thank you everyone who was on the first sailing for posting your comments. They are helpful in final packing and planning!

Did anyone do the Misty Fjords and Wilderness boat excursion (NOT the flightseeing) in Ketchikan? Torn between that and the Lighthouse, Totems, and Eagles. I would LOVE any feedback you may have.

Also, one of our concerns is that by doing a tour we are not going to see any of Ketchikan. That it's one or the other. Thoughts or input?

Thank you, in advance,
Dreams

We did the boat excursion and it was one of the best excursions we have ever been on. This was cruise 12 or 13..not all Disney...for us with lots of excursions in our past. The boat has a jet engine, there is a full time narrator who was the best speaker historian naturalist I have ever heard. The seating is like deluxe airplane but roomier, the snacks (3x) are yummy, the customer service was as good (or better) than Disney. We had a wheelchair in our party and they handled her fantastically. Have been to Alaska before and we did all our "shopping" in Skagway - best prices and selections for "Alaska" stuff this time and only bought post cards in Ketchican. There is not much time to see the city is you go to to Fjords but the scenery was breathtaking!

We did the boat excursion and it was one of the best excursions we have ever been on. This was cruise 12 or 13..not all Disney...for us with lots of excursions in our past. The boat has a jet engine, there is a full time narrator who was the best speaker historian naturalist I have ever heard. The seating is like deluxe airplane but roomier, the snacks (3x) are yummy, the customer service was as good (or better) than Disney. We had a wheelchair in our party and they handled her fantastically. Have been to Alaska before and we did all our "shopping" in Skagway - best prices and selections for "Alaska" stuff this time and only bought post cards in Ketchican. There is not much time to see the city is you go to to Fjords but the scenery was breathtaking!

How rough or smooth was the water? The tour looks lovely, but I was too worried about getting seasick to book it (yes, I know we're going on a cruise :rotfl:). Those small boats are very different than a large ship and I've been miserable at times. Is it glassy, rocky, or a combination?

TIA!

Did anyone do the Misty Fjords and Wilderness boat excursion (NOT the flightseeing) in Ketchikan? Torn between that and the Lighthouse, Totems, and Eagles. I would LOVE any feedback you may have.

I was curious about this as well. Friends who have done an Alaska cruise before were very disappointed in the Misty Fjords boat excursion. They said they were on the boat quite awhile when they finally reached their destination to see a big rock wall, then had a long cruise back. They did say if you were into photography, there were tons of great photo ops but they felt unfulfilled after being on the boat for 4 hours just to stare at the wall. The encouraged us to take a floatplane instead.

Glad to hear you enjoyed this excursion; we are booked with Harv and Marv in our own private boat for Juneau also. I believe our excursion time is 8:30am. I sure hope we see plenty of whales.... hearing that one posters report about one of the tours not seeing any and yours about only seeing one concerns me....

When are you going? I dont think you should be concerned. You will have great time and in the next few weeks the whales will be back. And I love Harv and Marv tours. Both times! The whole team is friendly and professional. The boats are clean and well maintained. Let me know how your experience was. i would love to hear all about it.

LJ

I'm pretty sure this is a live web cam with the Wonder on it in Juneau right now!
http://www.lynden.com/aml/web-cams/aml-juneau-key-cam.html

I have a Ketchikan excursion question... We are booked to do the trolly tour there but I read somehwere that that was a bad tour. I have a 8 and 4 year old so can't do the ziplines. Is the lighthouse, totems and Eagles a better choice there? thanks!

Guess I missed the Wonder as now all I see is water. :(

I'd be curious about the excursion question as well. Thanks!

When are you going? I dont think you should be concerned. You will have great time and in the next few weeks the whales will be back. And I love Harv and Marv tours. Both times! The whole team is friendly and professional. The boats are clean and well maintained. Let me know how your experience was. i would love to hear all about it.

LJ

We will be on the 5/31 sailing...

Does anyone know what days they are offering brunch at Palo? I know it's almost always on sea days but I was wondering if maybe Ketchikan day also since we don't dock until 1:45.

Thanks!

Kelly

For our sailing, Aug. 9th, brunch is only offered on the 3 sea days.
Have you checked in with the meets thread for your sailing to see what others have been able to book online?

OK it may be a silly question but are there any Harley shops nearby the ports to buy T-shirts. We have friends who love to get shirts when we vacation. when we toured in 2004 there were some just cant remember where.....

Squid

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter