Questions for early Alaskan cruisers!

[QUOTE="Got Disney";40999785]I read this on one of the trip reports....for those that have asked this question about the pool temperature....

[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Could you please post a link to this trip report.
Thanks

Not sure if this has been asked yet, but who is Captain (besides Mickey!) and who is Cruise Director on this first Alaskan cruise? I thought I heard Clayton for CD, but also heard something about Christiaan coming onboard for later Alaskan sailings?

I posted this yesterday on the meet thread for 5/17th cruise, but will re-post here:

"I have read a LOT of posts on DIS about this since last night. I just called DCL to ask. The person I spoke with said he shows it is indeed an inside passage cruise and he had not heard anything about taking the outside route. He put me on hold to talk with a supervisor. He then returned and said that she also had not heard about the Wonder taking the outside route. He pointed out that if indeed the Captain chose to change the route for whatever necessary reasons, "we" (i.e. the department that answers calls at DCL from us when we call) would not be the ones that would be notified. He said they were going to try to get more information about what I shared is being reported on message boards (not taking the Inside Passage) and perhaps they would have more information later today.'

It would seem to me that if the explanation credited to Deb Wills is correct, DCL would have known this FOREVER ago and would not have posted an inside passage route at any time. Also, if that explanation were the reason, the DCL CMs would seem likely to know it, no?

Disclaimer: I am not discrediting anyone's explanations, especially people I don't know. I am just thinking it through "out loud."

- Dreams

I think part of the confusion might be about the geography of the Inside Passage. The entire Inside Passage extends from SE Alaska to Washington State. The ports DCL is visiting are most definitely part of the Inside Passage, so the Wonder is sailing the Alaska portion of the Inside Passage.

It would be nice if DCL could update their route on the website to explain which they are taking. I know many ships go around to the West side of Vancouver Island because it is faster than travelling the East side where they must keep their speed lower.

I think part of the confusion might be about the geography of the Inside Passage. The entire Inside Passage extends from SE Alaska to Washington State. The ports DCL is visiting are most definitely part of the Inside Passage, so the Wonder is sailing the Alaska portion of the Inside Passage.

It would be nice if DCL could update their route on the website to explain which they are taking. I know many ships go around to the West side of Vancouver Island because it is faster than travelling the East side where they must keep their speed lower.

I agree. I have lived in Vancouver and Victoria my whole life and have never heard of the body of water between Vancouver Island/Haida Gwaii and the mainland referred to as the inside passage. The inside passage is in Alaska.

Sean

From Carol's trip report

http://www.carol-anne.ca/2011 May Alaska Cruise Trip Report.htm

It was quite entertaining sitting and reading while occasionally looking out at the deck, the quiet pool and the ocean. The ocean was tossing with 20 foot waves and the swells were almost as high in the pool. All three pools were closed and the pool water was washing from side to side and from front to back in the pool, crashing over the sides onto the deck on all sides. There were a few hardy souls in the two hot tubs beside the pool and they were occasionally doused with a wave of water from the pool. The hot tub probably felt like Splash Mountain or Kali River Rapids! They have been keeping the pools at 90 degrees so there was steam billowing from the roiling water all day! There was a misty rain almost all day and the people brave enough to walk the deck were tossed around by the pitching and rolling motion and slip-sliding on the wet deck. It was quite a show!

I agree. I have lived in Vancouver and Victoria my whole life and have never heard of the body of water between Vancouver Island/Haida Gwaii and the mainland referred to as the inside passage. The inside passage is in Alaska.

Sean

As a child we often cruised the San Juan and Gulf Islands and up to Victoria/Vancouver during the summer on my dad's sailboat. Such a beautiful area. I too had never heard of it referred to being part of the Inside Passage until I did a google search and a few sites mentioned the Inside Passage goes all the way into Puget Sound in Washington which is where I'm from.

I've also been seeing on the blogs for the first Alaska cruise that people are referring the the mountains they see on the coast as the Canadian Rockies. They're actually the Coastal range and not a part of the Rockies at all which are much further inland. This is one area of the world where studying geography might be a good idea before you go on your cruise.

I've also been seeing on the blogs for the first Alaska cruise that people are referring the the mountains they see on the coast as the Canadian Rockies. They're actually the Coastal range and not a part of the Rockies at all which are much further inland. This is one area of the world where studying geography might be a good idea before you go on your cruise.

I've noticed this too. It gave me a chuckle when I first read it.

Is there a pirate night on the Alaska cruises?

Yes. When I called Disney they said it was on the 5th night after the day in Juneau. I have heard others say that the menu is different though. And our TA said that the party is indoors and there are no fireworks.

From Carol's trip report

http://www.carol-anne.ca/2011 May Alaska Cruise Trip Report.htm

It was quite entertaining sitting and reading while occasionally looking out at the deck, the quiet pool and the ocean. The ocean was tossing with 20 foot waves and the swells were almost as high in the pool. All three pools were closed and the pool water was washing from side to side and from front to back in the pool, crashing over the sides onto the deck on all sides. There were a few hardy souls in the two hot tubs beside the pool and they were occasionally doused with a wave of water from the pool. The hot tub probably felt like Splash Mountain or Kali River Rapids! They have been keeping the pools at 90 degrees so there was steam billowing from the roiling water all day! There was a misty rain almost all day and the people brave enough to walk the deck were tossed around by the pitching and rolling motion and slip-sliding on the wet deck. It was quite a show!

My sympathies for the motion sick guests......
Might as well be crab fishin on the Northwestern - like on Deadliest Catch! :headache:

Sean

Well the thing is- if you go on DCL's website and look at the AK itenerary- it clearly shows the Wonder sailing in between Vancouver Island and not going around it.... I don't know why they would have their website showing this if they were not planning to do it.

Could you add the questions -

1. What did you pack that you didn't need
2. What did you NOT pack that you wished you had packed

According to Deb Wills Disney has permission to only do the inside passage going South for the first year. She stated that this is true for all first time lines cruising there. Since it it dark as the ships are traveling north they want the ships to sail it in daytime for the first year.

So they are doing outside on the way up and inside on the way back. Sounds like it makes for a rockier first day but I'll just be happy to be on the ship. :)

Strange. They bring Pilots on board that know those waters so don't know why it would matter if it is a new ship or not?

Well the thing is- if you go on DCL's website and look at the AK itenerary- it clearly shows the Wonder sailing in between Vancouver Island and not going around it.... I don't know why they would have their website showing this if they were not planning to do it.

There are actually any number of reasons they would change the course for one or more sailings. One being that the area is known for having pretty severe tides that might affect the ability to navigate the area. Some of the passages are very tight and I could certainly understand the ship not being allowed through if the captain isn't familiar with the area. Weather conditions including fog, which is common this time of year, also might play into the need to alter the course.

Also, when cruise ships go up the East side of Vancouver Island, they are required to have a pilot aboard for the entire trip until they hit Alaskan waters. By taking the course up the West side of the island, they don't need the pilot most of the trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter