Questions/Fears about wheelchair use

ThE FuTuRe ImAgInEeR

Earning My Ears
Ok, so I've been really nervous to ask these questions but my family is being persistent about the whole situation. I have had 4 bouts of idiopathic pericarditis over the past five months. Last Wednesday my cardiologist diagnosed me with it again. We leave for vacation in 12 days and the medication is not helping to alleviate the symptoms at this point. I've been placed on strict bed rest to avoid getting an effusion or other complications. The doctor says that he wants me to use a wheelchair on vacation (and not ride certain rides) because he is worried that all the walking will cause the pericarditis to flare up and I won't be able to see him because we'll be states away.

My concern is that because I'm young (18 going on 19) that people will see me in the wheelchair with no easily apparent health condition and think I'm just in it to cheat the lines. I've read a lot of posts on the forums where others flame people who use wheelchairs with no easily apparent condition. I don't want to receive dirty looks and comments. I'd rather just walk and be in pain than experience that. Can someone ease my mind that this won't happen?

Thank You in Advance

I think if you go looking for people who are making snide comments you will find them. If you go with the intention to enjoy yourself you will be fine. I'm not saying 'ignore' others such that you run over them or whatever, but if you're busy enjoying yourself at Disney, you'll be too busy to notice anyone who seems unhappy. There will always be people who think their role in life is to decide what others should be doing. If what you're doing is legal you can ignore them. If what you're doing is moral, you *should* ignore them. Your health is far more important than their beliefs about a complete stranger.

I hope you enjoy your trip. Anyone who comments or gives you dirty looks has made the decision to allow their own negativity to affect their day -- please don't let them adversely affect yours.

We needed to use a wheelchair last December when we were there for Christmas for my mother...almost all of the ride lines are wheelchair accessible, so you are in the same line as everyone else, with the same wait time....once you get to the front of the line you and your family may go a different way at that time....the rides that a wheelchair can't go through the regular line we used FP+ for, like Big Thunder Mountain....we used a push wheelchair instead of a motorized one, which worked for us because for some of the rides you need to transfer from motorized to push wheelchair.

Regarding what people think, I wouldn't let it bother me.....you know that the wheelchair is needed and that is all that matters! I have needed a wheelchair on occasion and gave no outward signs and have seen the looks....I stare back at them and they tend to look away pretty quick.

Go and enjoy your vacation and don't let anyone or anything put a damper on it!

First of all, a lot more people will go on-line and say judgmental things than will visibly react in person, where they might be confronted. It's easier to be nasty to someone when you are not in arms reach. The most you are likely to get is dirty looks, if anything at all.

Secondly, a young person with their family, being pushed in a WC, is less likely to get a bad reaction than, say, a group of young people riding ECVs. The assumption appears to be that your parents wouldn't be putting up with pushing you around if there wasn't something really wrong with you.

Finally, if you do get dirty looks or mutters, ignore them! You don't know these people and will never see them again, so who cares what they think. You know you need this help, so make this trip as enjoyable as possible. You will also be making the trip more enjoyable for your family. They don't have to worry about you, or slow down to keep pace with you, or miss part of the day because you have reached your limit.

Besides, I personally think there is something kind of pathetic about people who are at Disney, and with all the wonder around them the best use of their time they can come up with is to worry about who does or does not need accommodations, and policing who "deserves" a WC. :rolleyes2 Leave them to their misery and enjoy your trip!

If you need a wheelchair, get one. I've seen some reports of other guests being rude about it, but everything is inflated on the internet. I don't think it's a huge epidemic and I definitely don't think you should let other peoples possible reactions dictate anything about your vacation.

Go and enjoy yourself. As others stated, wheelchairs just go through the regular line so there's really no reason at all for other people to be grumpy with you in regards to that.

I personally wouldn't even bat an eyelash at you. I really don't notice much outside of my little bubble in the world lmao.

People on line can say what they want in real life most people in Disney are so busy looking at everything there is to see they don't notice who's in a wheelchair you will find that out when people walk right into you

Thank you everyone for all the positive replies. I am much less nervous now. I will definitely stay focused on enjoying my vacation as opposed to worrying about what other people think.

Using a wheelchair doesn't lessen the amount of time you wait in line.

Why do you care what other people think? Please keep in mind most people won't even notice you! Have fun.

The only opinion that really matters is your doctors, the rest can just "have a nice day".
Go and have fun!! Contrary to what you read on the web, most people are very nice and understanding.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter