Questions concerning purchase of DVC

mrford

Minnie is my hero!!
My husband & I sat through the DVC presentation last summer but did not buy at that time. I called the guide who helped us last summer to tell her that we were making another trip on March and we would like to talk to her again about buying DVC. We were trying to decide between VWL and BCV, but she told me that VWL sold out last week and that we can only buy at BCV. The only use year she offered us for BCV was SEP, OCT or DEC. I guess my main question is this. IS VWL really sold out? And is she only offering those use years to us for BCV is because we would like to take advantage of MB? I hate being told one thing and reading something different here on the boards. What would be the best use year for a person who would like to take a trip in March (spring break) and 1 trip in summer June or July. She tells me that December would be the best. I would like a more unbiased opinion. THank you for your help. I sure that everyone sees the same questions over and over again.

We have two contracts. One at BWV with an April use year, one at OKW with an October use year. We don't see any advantage or disadvantage to any particular month because we can do banking and borrowing anyway, but apparently many people do. Why?

You can purchase a sold out resort through the resale market. Our sponsor from this board has many available, that you can click on above to find out more about (DVC Resales). My understanding is that VWL is sold out. There are resales available if you want to purchase there. Purchase where you would like to stay most often, and especially during peak times so that you have the advantage of the 11 month window.

My take on the use year, is that you don't want if to happen right after you typically vacation. My thinking is that if something should come up and you have to cancel a planned vacation, you want to have some time to be able to use up those points in a different manner or bank them within the appropriate time frame prior to them expiring at the time of your use year. If a vacation is cancelled, you could take a couple of luxury getaways to New York or some other place on the conciege collection to make sure you didn't loose the points entirely. Just my thoughts. Good luck with your purchase.

I agree with Desperado. We bought last year in April and have an April use year. Well now we are finding that with school spring breaks in March we would have really liked to have had a March use year.

We can work around it, but it isn't something I thought about when we bought.

Since we usually vacation in September, it will work out alright. But if I could point a new use year, I would go with March.

DJ

we were just at the dvc open house, and we are in the progress of buying,and we were offered wlv(was told they still had a few points left for) or bcv. we chose bcv and was given sept. use year. i dont know what wlv use year was, because we went with bcv. we chose bcv because we really love epcot and the boardwalk, and we figure we were close to the magic kingdom too. hope that helps you !:D :D :D :D

Originally posted by mrford
My husband & I sat through the DVC presentation last summer but did not buy at that time. I called the guide who helped us last summer to tell her that we were making another trip on March and we would like to talk to her again about buying DVC. We were trying to decide between VWL and BCV, but she told me that VWL sold out last week and that we can only buy at BCV. The only use year she offered us for BCV was SEP, OCT or DEC. I guess my main question is this. IS VWL really sold out? And is she only offering those use years to us for BCV is because we would like to take advantage of MB? I hate being told one thing and reading something different here on the boards. What would be the best use year for a person who would like to take a trip in March (spring break) and 1 trip in summer June or July. She tells me that December would be the best. I would like a more unbiased opinion. THank you for your help. I sure that everyone sees the same questions over and over again.

My understanding is that VWL is indeed sold out. However, there are apparently some points left to sell to existing DVC members who want to add on to their current memberships. Perhaps those are gone now, too. I recall that not all use years were available even for add ons, though.

You may be able to get a use year at BCV besides September, October or December if you insist and are persistent. However, you may not be able to utilize the MB incentive if you get another use year. The 100% banking deadlines for those months are February 28, March 31 and May 31, respectively. Disney rents out the points you "give back" with the MB promotion and has to have enough time to do that.

If you choose another use year, and are unable to use the portion of points that you cannot bank before the end of the use year, you will lose them.

Use year only matters if you have to cancel a reservation. If you cancel 31 or more days ahead of arrival, the points are returned to the current use year. If your banking deadlines have not passed, you can bank the points. If they have passed, you would need to reschedule your trip (or rent the points to someone else) before the end of your use year. If it's late in your use year, you may have a problem doing either.

I agree with your guide that of the BCV use years offered to you, December would be the best for your current vacation plans. You would have until May 31 to bank all of your current year points. That works very well for your March trips and pretty good for June/July trips.

IMHO, if use year is the only consideration, February would be best for trips in March and June or July. That would give you until July 31 to bank 100% of your points (covers both March and June/July trips) and in case your spring break schedule changes to sometime in February, you'd be good OK there, too. However, if you chose February, you would not get any 2002 points, only 2003 points. Since the annual dues would be the same for getting 2002 and 2003 points as they would for just getting 2003 points, a December use year is a more valuable purchase right now. In this situation, I personally would take the December use year.

Try not to stress out over use year. Keep in mind that your traveling habits may change before 2042, and that hopefully, you will not have to cancel any trips at the last minute.

HTH.

Good luck!

We just purchased on 2/15. We were told that we could get
BCV with a September or October use year. We really wanted
WLV, but they only had February 03. Are guide checked with her
boss and was able to sell us 150 pts. as an add on with a September 02 use year. So our main contract is at BCV. So we got the points we wanted, with two home bases, with one use
year. Since 1/2 the year is gone we took advantage of MB too. Might be something to look at.

Irene
Andy (DH)
Maddison (DD)

We were at the DVC meeting at OKW on Tuesday 2/11 and the rep. said they have all use years for BCV, and some for WLV,HH, &VB.

thanks for the resoning on use year importance. Now I understand regarding the cancellation aspect.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter