Questions about $$$$

nottellin'

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone! I've been lurking on the disboards for about a year now but this is my first post :wave2:

My family and I are planning our second trip to Disneyland from March 29th until April 8th. Last time we went we were so unrepared I think we spent about $7000 for 2 days :crazy2: .
So this time around we are looking at doing Disney on a budget.
I was wondering how much most ppl bring for spending cash? Our hotel and tickets are already paid for, so it's just everything else we need to worry about. I am an avid princess collector so I know I will spend some money in the parks for keepsakes.

My second question is does anyone have any cost cutting dining tips? I've researched about as much as I can, but I thought maybe if some poster know of inexpensive resturants arounf Disney that would be great. We have already decided to go to the grocery store when we arrive and buy water and breakfast stuff. Our hotel does not have a kitchenette but we would like to eat some meals in the hotel (it has a microwave and we are bringing out George Foreman Grill).

Oh I should also add we are a family of 4. DH, me, DS (6) and DD (7).

Thanks so much :)

Hi and welcome :wave2:

The best money-saving tip I would have is share meals. My DS13 and I can easily split meals at most of the DL restaurants and be satisfied. Bring your own water (keep it cold in your room) is another great idea.

If you don't have a car to drive for shopping, Vons does deliver and with your first delivery of over $50, they give you a free delivery coupon code.

We try to eat at Quizno's or Subway to save $...and it can be healthier than McDonald's. They're both on Harbor.

We split meals when we buy in the park...I think sit-down restaurants charge a plate fee, but counter service does not.

HTH!

Thank you both. I think the first day we get there we will be going to a grocery store. I think the best way to save money will be eating our breakfasts in our room. I also think if we can load up on snacks that might save some money too..oh and the water. I could not believe how much we spent on water last time.

What is a good way to estimate how much spending money we should bring? We will be there for 10 days and I do want to have fun and not "go without" but I also don't want to break the bank as I want to make this a yearly trip ::yes::

I try to budget $100/day for food and snacks...some days we're under, others we're over. I also budget $100 for souvenirs. If the kids want more they have their own money to spend (birthday $, christmas $, allowance, etc.)

We are going to take a lunch 2 of the 4 days we are there. Sandwiches and chips in the stroller. The girls will share a meal. My husband will not share so I wont even ask .LOL.

We are going to eat the breakfast the hotel offers each day. We can fill up on cereal,fruit,eggs and danishes. Little Cesaers had cheap pizza so that will be one dinner for about $10. We will bring water and those powder packets to flavor. Find out where the drinking fountains are and refill our bottles. I will get a cup to bring back. We will bring snacks but allow a treat each day. Gogurts,goldfish crackers,trail mix. I am budgeting $500 for 9 days for a family of 4 with 2 small kids (5,2).

We have family in the area so they might get a dinner or lunch for us We are hitting the grocery the first day too. I hope I can find a super Walmart. We have spent so much on airfare, hotel, rental car, and Disney tickets. I hope we have enought to eat. LOL.

We are going to take a lunch 2 of the 4 days we are there. Sandwiches and chips in the stroller. The girls will share a meal. My husband will not share so I wont even ask .LOL.

We are going to eat the breakfast the hotel offers each day. We can fill up on cereal,fruit,eggs and danishes. Little Cesaers had cheap pizza so that will be one dinner for about $10. We will bring water and those powder packets to flavor. Find out where the drinking fountains are and refill our bottles. I will get a cup to bring back. We will bring snacks but allow a treat each day. Gogurts,goldfish crackers,trail mix. I am budgeting $500 for 9 days for a family of 4 with 2 small kids (5,2).

We have family in the area so they might get a dinner or lunch for us We are hitting the grocery the first day too. I hope I can find a super Walmart. We have spent so much on airfare, hotel, rental car, and Disney tickets. I hope we have enought to eat. LOL.

I agree having a budget is a great way to start!

Another thing is buy everyone a souveiner gift card, if you put everyone's budgeted amount on their own card and say this is it, you find the kids (and your self ;) ) might not be as sucked in by impulse items and instead will tend to wait for just the right item that you REALLY want. I know lots of families have very good luck with this tip.

we often run over to El Pollo Loco. If we go during the summer, we do this around Noon or 1:00 when it starts getting really hot and crowded in the parks. We drive over (it's a 5-10 minute drive from DLR), get a meal of grilled chicken with sides (yummy, hot, and fairly healthy), and take it back to our hotel. After eating, we usually cool off in the pool, then everybody lays down and watches T.V. for an hour or so, or until it starts to cool down a bit. This way, we're well fed, cooled off, and rested before we head back into the parks to stay until the Midnight closing. We have 4 kids and this routine works really well for us, especially if we're spending a full 5days in the parks.

You can't beat the price either!! About $25 total for tons of pretty healthy food! Also, you can pick up churros while you're there, which, if your family likes them, can save you some $, too. Churros in DL are a few dollars each, whereas at El Pollo Loco, they are 2 for $1!! YAY!

this is our main meal of the day at DLR, if we do it this way. we bring bananas, yogurt, granola bars, etc., and have these for breakfast. we bring sandwiches (pb&j or meat, carried in an insulated backpack with icepack or frozen water bottles), along with boxes of raisins, cereal bars, apples, etc., in case anyone is hungry while we're actually inside the parks. doing things this way not only saves us a ton of money, but it also keeps everyone's tummies in proper working order, lol, because if you read around, you'll find that a lot of people note potty "issues" when eating a lot of DLR food.

hope you have a great time!!:)

We have budgeted 100/day for souvenirs and food combined. The food money we need continues to go down (as our diets change) and the need for souvenir money is going up though.

Duh, forgot to include the link...you can get to the menus (as updated as the person who runs the site can manage, but don't take it as gospel) here for a good idea of cost and things available.

I'm sorry, did you say you were going to have a car? If so go to the character warehouse, get your souvies there. They are much cheaper and it's all stuff that was in the parks at one time. If not then do the Disney gift cards or Disney Dollars for souvies as someone else suggested. Then you've got a set amount to spend and you won't go over (well, by much). Share meals, we do this all the time. Take your own water and just refill your bottles, there is a water fountain with cold filtered water in the First Aid Station and in the Baby Care Station, Rancho del Zocalo (one of our favorite places to eat and share) has a small water spout in the middle of the tables, you can fill your bottles there but it's not filtered or cold like the other 2 places I mentioned. :) Take your own snacks, that's a GREAT idea. Eat in DTD and again, share, the portions at those restaurants are HUGE! We really like eating at the Jazz Kitchen (even the Jazz Kitchen Express) and Rainforest Cafe. DBF and I always share a Maya's Combo when we eat there. :) So much food, you can't possibly eat it by yourself. Don't forget that even adults can order the kids meals, that's a great budget tip, I have eaten more than a few kids meals at DL. :) Buy light up toys and/or glow sticks BEFORE you leave, when it gets dark out pull those babies out and your kids will be happy! We get ours at the dollar store or at the dollar spot at Target, (the glow sticks) and the kids just love them!

Oh geez, don't fill your water up anywhere other than the First Aid Station.

Awesome tips guys :)

A few questions (again...sorry)

Where is El Pollo Loco? We are staying at the Tropicana is it on that side of Disney or another side?

I also have to ask
I am budgeting $500 for 9 days for a family of 4 with 2 small kids (5,2).

Do you think this is managable? The reason I'm asking is because I would like to keep our budget pretty similar to this, maybe a little more but not much.

I think the cost the first time has sort of scared me :scared:

We are going to eat the breakfast the hotel offers each day. We can fill up on cereal,fruit,eggs and danishes. Little Cesaers had cheap pizza so that will be one dinner for about $10. We will bring water and those powder packets to flavor. Find out where the drinking fountains are and refill our bottles. I will get a cup to bring back.

This also sounds pretty much like what we are going to do. Our hotel doesn't offer a great breakfast but we will get cereal ect from the grocery store, so that should save some $$$ instead of going out.

You guys are great with all the tips :cheer2:

We will have our car as we are driving. Does the character warehouse have the snowglobes ect? I had read online at one point that they didn't offer much...but since I haven't been there don't know what they do offer.

The glowsticks idea is fantastic...last time we boght those necklaces ($20 each I think) and the kids broke them after 2 uses.

I also have to ask

Do you think this is managable? The reason I'm asking is because I would like to keep our budget pretty similar to this, maybe a little more but not much.

I think the cost the first time has sort of scared me :scared:
:cheer2:

You should click on the link in Bumbershoots post and check out the menus for the different restaurants at DLR so you can get an idea of how much they charge for different things. That should help you know how much to budget for meals you have at DLR.

Yes, the cost of your first trip scares me too! :scared1:

We will have our car as we are driving. Does the character warehouse have the snowglobes ect? I had read online at one point that they didn't offer much...but since I haven't been there don't know what they do offer.

The glowsticks idea is fantastic...last time we boght those necklaces ($20 each I think) and the kids broke them after 2 uses.

Oh yeah, and I bought glow bracelets on amazon and I think I got 100 for $10.

I've tried to stick to $50/day but it's very difficult for a family of 4. Also I factor in my grocery store and Target food into my budget...after all the money has to come from somewhere kwim.

FTR our $100 for souvenirs is for everyone for the whole trip, not per day lol.

This is what we do:

Split most in park meals. Kids can definately split meals.

Never buy soda, always ask for free water in a cup.

Bring your own water bottle if possible.

Eat at counter service, not table service places.

Give your kids a set amount they are allowed to spend in the stores.

Bring a protein snack in the park with you to fill in if you get hungry while waiting in lines. Granola bars, peanuts, ect.

Market House gives a free coffee refill if you save your reciept.

Bring plastic baggies. You can save some of the kids' meal items they don't finish. They can eat it later instead of throwing it away. Plastic bags are also good for protecting things on wet rides too.

Have a snack instead of a meal. We will sometimes get an ice cream and call it lunch! Don't feel you have to eat a meal just because it is "meal time".

My family of four- DH, Me, and two teen boys ate there on less than $100 a day. :thumbsup2

You spent how much!?! :scared: Ouch!

DF and I usually budget $100 per day for everything in park. This time I'm making sure we eat at proper restaurants every day though, whilst they may be more expensive - the value is better IMO. I don't feel ripped off for paying $10 for a dodgy hot dog, I'm full and I enjoy the meal.

This way, if I have planned PS throughout the day, I don't feel like snacking throughout the day, because I know I've got a big meal coming up...

Welcome to the boards! :wave2:

I'm not sure what they have, they are liquidators so the stock is ever changing. But, it's after Christmas so they might. :) It's about a 5 mile drive down Harbor, you go up over the freeway and drive down Harbor to Orangefair mall or something like that and it's in there. It's an outdoor mall so just drive until you see it. :) And they have a Sonic across the street, good place to have a cheaper meal. :)

You should click on the link in Bumbershoots post and check out the menus for the different restaurants at DLR so you can get an idea of how much they charge for different things. That should help you know how much to budget for meals you have at DLR.

Yes, the cost of your first trip scares me too! :scared1:

Me too! LOL I think we spent about that last year but we went a LOT more than once....LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter