Questions about Tipping

MintJulep

Mouseketeer
Hey Everyone,

I am not sure if anyone has posted information about this on the threads before, but I have a few questions about tipping?

How much should we tip our server?

Is there a pre-determined amount that we will be required to tip or is it our descretion?

Besides the server who else will we need to tip, and is their fee pre-determined?

Thanks so much for the help! :yay:

Hey Everyone,

I am not sure if anyone has posted information about this on the threads before, but I have a few questions about tipping?

How much should we tip our server?

Is there a pre-determined amount that we will be required to tip or is it our descretion?

Besides the server who else will we need to tip, and is their fee pre-determined?

Thanks so much for the help! :yay:

http://cruisetip.tpkeller.com/

All on this website, you tip the server, assistant server, the head server and your stateroom host.

Also tip room service $1>2 an item, Palo you decide, and 15% is automatic on all booze.

DCL says these are 'recommeded tips' for your severs, please ensure you understand it covers ALL food, served, breakfast lunch etc wherever you choose to eat, excepting Palo and Room service.

There are huge threads on tipping, all erupt in controversy eventually.

Tipping is at your choice. DCL recommends a total of $12 per guest per night of the cruise, which is divided among your server, assistant server, head server, and room host. You will be provided with information on the division in your stateroom on the second to last day. Some people to not tip the suggested amount, others tip more.

It is also common to tip a few dollars for room service and to tip the baggage porters (if you use them).

The tip given to your servers covers the tipping for ALL meals except room service (not just the dinners). Even if you never eat in the dining room, you ate somewhere. There is an automatic 15% gratuity added to bar items. Part of the $15 per person charge for Palo is for the gratuity; many people add extra to that--again, your choice.

Disney makes it easy and offers a Prepaid Tips option. I highly recommend it...

And even if you use this option, you can still bring a few extra dollars to tip any room service and drinks you might order.

Im sorry I do not mean to hijack this thread but since it goes along with the tipping questions..I would like to know if you can put cash in the envelopes or is it better to give cash to the guest services and get the tickets to put in the envelopes? Just trying to decide which is the best option for the servers and us :goodvibes:thumbsup2

Im sorry I do not mean to hijack this thread but since it goes along with the tipping questions..I would like to know if you can put cash in the envelopes or is it better to give cash to the guest services and get the tickets to put in the envelopes? Just trying to decide which is the best option for the servers and us :goodvibes:thumbsup2

I don't think it matters one way or the other. We have done it both ways. The only thing with tipping in cash, is that we needed to make sure that we have ones, fives and tens so that we could put the recommended amount in each envelope -- plus a little extra because service is always so good.

I actually addressed this issue with my favorite server. While he freely admitted that not all shared his opinion, he found it easier to have people "charge" their tips (or give cash to GS). That way, he got a check every 2 weeks for his tips, which it was easy for him to send home (he was supporting a wife and kids at home). He said he always got plenty of cash for his limited needs on the ship, and with the check he didn't have to worry about tips getting lost, stolen, etc.

I've always charged the tips to my onboard account...paid off with Disney Visa and accrued points toward the next cruise.

How do you prepay them? If you book online or via a TA is there an option to do this at booking?

This is the info I received Tuesday in my Disney Cruise Line Packet:

7- Night Cruise Gratuity Suggestions (per person, including children)

Restaurant Server $28
Restaurant Assistant Server $21
Head Server $7
Stateroom Host(ess) $28
Room Service Your Discretion

How do you prepay them? If you book online or via a TA is there an option to do this at booking?

All you have to do to pre-pay the standard tips is let your TA (or DCL if you didn't use a TA) know that you wish to do this and give them your credit card number. You'll receive the tip coupons in your stateroom, and will place them in the envelopes that you give to the CMs on the last night.

I don't recall asking for it, but in the cruise booklet that I just received, it says, "Thank you for choosing to pay your gratuities before your cruise." Why would I choose to do that? I don't see any advantage to paying before I even go, but I'm going to leave it. It's not worth the hassle of changing it and unless the service is horrible, we usually tip extra. Just less cash to bring.

Maybe because it was booked with a voucher for purchasing BLT I didn't have a choice. Who knows?

Right underneath the quote is the "3-Night Cruise Gratuity Suggestions (per person, children included)" and it's $36 divided among four CMs. It states that the pre-paid gratuities are based on that table and room service is "your discretion."

Only four weeks from today, I can't wait!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter