• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Questions about stairs and such (WDW)

Gracie'sMom

Mouseketeer
It's been 5 years since my last trip to WDW and this will be my first time that I will need to be somewhat aware of mobility issues. :scared: I have no idea what attractions include steps and/or difficult areas to navigate when not at 100%. To be honest, I simply didn't pay attention to something that was of little relevance to me at the time.

When we arrive in September, I will be 6 weeks out from knee surgery to repair a torn cartilage. I am now mostly mobile on level ground and can navigate 2 or 3 steps at a time (although somewhat slowly) but certainly couldn't take a full flight of steps without causing a major traffic jam! :snail:

I am also beginning to think that a few of the rides throughout all four parks will be an exercise in creativity when trying to climb OUT of the car. Good thing my husband will be there to give me a hand up when needed. :worship: My husband's tolerance for "Happiest Place on Earth" though is not as strong as that of myself and our DD10 and he will likely tucker out and head back to the resort before we do. So here is another question...Can they stop the treadmill thingy on rides like HM long enough for me to exit if I have no one to steady me and speed me up?

Initially, my thoughts were that I would not need a GAC card because walking and standing in line is not a problem for me and I have no need for a wheelchair....(although the ortho's office tells me I may reconsider once i've been on my feet for that long). I can now see though that I may need a GAC as an option for individual rides here and there if I do need assistance.

So, here are my question....

1) What attractions will I likely need to be aware of for steps and/or other navigation issues?

2) If I have to take a couple extra minutes to get my sea legs when climbing out of a car (I'm thinking Splash Mt., Space Mt., etc.), will having the GAC to flash be a smart idea or will they give me time needed regardless (without rolling their eyes)?

3) Do any of the regular lines accommodate a wheelchair if my week ends up like that? I would always prefer to wait my turn in the regular line when possible.

3) Is there anything obvious to any of you that I have not considered that you could point out to me?

As you can see my thoughts are a little scattered on this as I have no idea what to expect both of my knee or the parks.

Thanks to any serious and considerate responses in advance! :hippie:

:surfweb:

OK, I just saw the sticky above that covers a lot of the info that I am asking. If anyone has anything to add though I'd certainly welcome the input!

The only rides with moving walkways that can't be slowed down or stopped are Peter Pan's Flight and the Peoplemover. All you need to do is ask. When I need extra time getting off other kinds of rides (boats, trains, etc.) because of my depth perception, I also just let them know and it's fine.

The average guest walks something like eight miles a day. Given your condition now, your post-op status then, and the hot, humid September weather, I'd seriously consider planning on renting an ECV for the trip. I'd also bring a good, sturdy cane for extra help when you're off the ECV and for getting in and out of ride vehicles.

Most ride lines are wheelchair accessible. A cast member outside will tell you how to enter each one as you approach.

First thing that pops up in my mind is Toy Story Mania - full set of stairs up, walkover a bridge and then full set of stairs down. You will need to use the guest needing assistance bypass on that pone. You wait in the full line and then people branch to go up the stairs, you will be directed to the bypass ( at least that's my understanding of how it works :)).

1) What attractions will I likely need to be aware of for steps and/or other navigation issues?

I certainly can't think of all of them but Dinosaur and Toy Story Mania come to mind, as well as some of the theater type attractions like Finding Nemo the Musical. I bet there's a list floating around here someone. You can absolutely get a GAC regarding not using the stairs, but you may find yourself standing in bits of the lines longer than the stand by.

2) If I have to take a couple extra minutes to get my sea legs when climbing out of a car (I'm thinking Splash Mt., Space Mt., etc.), will having the GAC to flash be a smart idea or will they give me time needed regardless (without rolling their eyes)?

Maybe, frankly it takes me a minute to get out of Space Mountain anyway. Showing that at boarding will certainly show them there's an issue but I don't know about deboarding. I can deal with a few eyerolls, they'll forgot about me in two minutes away.

When it comes to attractions with a moving sidewalk type thing, you can request that it be slowed or stopped except for Peter Pan and the Peoplemover.

3) Do any of the regular lines accommodate a wheelchair if my week ends up like that? I would always prefer to wait my turn in the regular line when possible.

Virtually every line in WDW is wheelchair accessible. Some lines will reroute you to a separate boarding area.

3) Is there anything obvious to any of you that I have not considered that you could point out to me?

You may find you want to plan on using a wheelchair anyway. If you have one, I'd say bring it, or rent from an outside company. You don't have to be sitting in it all day, but you'd have it for reassurance and you could use it almost as a walker, just to take a little pressure off your knees and legs through your day.

It's been 5 years since my last trip to WDW and this will be my first time that I will need to be somewhat aware of mobility issues. :scared: I have no idea what attractions include steps and/or difficult areas to navigate when not at 100%. To be honest, I simply didn't pay attention to something that was of little relevance to me at the time.

When we arrive in September, I will be 6 weeks out from knee surgery to repair a torn cartilage. I am now mostly mobile on level ground and can navigate 2 or 3 steps at a time (although somewhat slowly) but certainly couldn't take a full flight of steps without causing a major traffic jam! :snail:

I am also beginning to think that a few of the rides throughout all four parks will be an exercise in creativity when trying to climb OUT of the car. Good thing my husband will be there to give me a hand up when needed. :worship:
Follow the link in my signature to the disABILITIES FAQs thread (or look for it stuck near the top of this board). Posts 18-22 on page 2 of that thread have information about individual attractions at WDW and includes information about ones with a difficult step on and/or off.
My husband's tolerance for "Happiest Place on Earth" though is not as strong as that of myself and our DD10 and he will likely tucker out and head back to the resort before we do. So here is another question...Can they stop the treadmill thingy on rides like HM long enough for me to exit if I have no one to steady me and speed me up?
Post 28 on page 2 of that thread has information about attractions with moving walkways and stairs. There are actually not as many as people think.
In most cases, guests with special needs will wait in the regular line until close to the boarding area or the stairs and will then be routed around the stairs or to board at the exit. THis is the place where CMs can control the moving walkway better for getting on and off.
With a mobility device (even a cane), you would not need a GAC because the CMs can see that you need to board in that area.
They usually will slow, but not stop the moving walkway completely. That is generally enough for most people. 2 attractions with moving walkways that can't be stopped are Peter Pan and Tomorrowland Transit Authority (Peoplemover) - the walkway to get up to and down from the station.
Initially, my thoughts were that I would not need a GAC card because walking and standing in line is not a problem for me and I have no need for a wheelchair....(although the ortho's office tells me I may reconsider once i've been on my feet for that long). I can now see though that I may need a GAC as an option for individual rides here and there if I do need assistance.
If you have a mobility device, you don't need a GAC.
For deciding if you need a mobility device, consider that most people walk at least 5-6 miles a day at WDW, and some do more - up to 9-12 miles.
We kept track of our milage on our trip this Spring. We were taking it easy because we had my 80 yr old + mother in law and my brother and sister in law on the trip. None of them are big walkers, so we didn't push it, but we still averaged almost 6 miles per day.
So, chances are that you will need some type of mobility device.
Rollators, which are walkers with wheels and a fold down seat, are becoming quite popular. They provide support while walking, can be parked with the strollers if you don't want to use it and can have the seat folded down for sitting.
So, here are my question....

Post 22 on page 2 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread lists attractions where everyone will stand unless they have brought a mobility device with them.

Post 28 has information about attractions with stairs and moving walkways.
Both of those attractions are difficult ones to get in and out of because the tightness of the ride car, and in the case of Space Mountain, it is very low.
Flashing a GAC will actually take more time because they are not expecting to see it at the exit and there is no CM near enough to read it.

Attractions like Splash Mountain, Pirates, Small World, Space Mountain comes to a complete stop for every guest to load and unload. The CM will not start the ride car moving until everyone is safely in or out. (This is the same at basically every ride that does not have a moving walkway). There are a few - Space Mountain, Expedition Everest and Rock N Roller Coaster, where guests have a limited time to get on and off - this is because of how the ride works and having a GAC would not allow extra time.
People assume most lines are not accessible and have special wheelchair lines or wheelchair entrances. That is not correct.
Actually, almost all lines at WDW are accessible thru the regular line and guests with mobility devices wait in the regular line with everyone else.
These are called "Mainstream Lines" and most WDW attractions have them.

As you can see my thoughts are a little scattered on this as I have no idea what to expect both of my knee or the parks.

Thanks to any serious and considerate responses in advance! :hippie:
Explore the disABILITIES FAQs thread a bit and feel free to ask any more questions you think of.

I visited WDW 7 months after a total knee replacement. Before going I was very nervous about getting off and on some of the rides. I had this image in my mind of a ride taking off with me half in but I shouldn't have worried about that. I had no trouble with Space Mountain or Rock n Roller Coaster. Even though the ride cars are low the sides of the car are close enough that I could hold on to them for support. And I actually had plenty of time.

I have two big ride cautions. The step down into the cars at Tedt Track was much steeper than I anticipated and there is very little to hold onto. I hurt my new joint pretty badly getting into the car. Please watch out for that one. The other ride that hurt my knee was Star Tours. I sat on the back row and my feet did not reach the floor. The ride really slings you around and with nothing to brace my leg against, the knee was jerked around too much. You might check and see if the other rows are as much off the ground.

I did not really have much trouble with stairs. Toy Story Mania has stairs but with all my knee surgeries I have become proficient in baby stepping them. Just use the rail and remember up with the good leg first and down with the bad. The real problem was finding a place to sit when I needed to rest and get the weight off the knee. There are just not that many benches and the ones there always seemed to be occupied by other tired guests. By the end of the day i wished that I had rented a wheelchair. When you are hurting the last thing you want to do is walk around looking for a place to sit.

Good luck!

Thanks so much for the quick responses and great information.

I suppose I need to put a little more consideration into the idea of using a wheelchair from the start or at least to renting one after my knee tells me that a day in the parks is more than I bargained for!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter