Questions about paying for extras and kids' charging privileges

MelissaE1

Truly believes in the Magic
OK you DCL experts out there... :)

I was filling out my docs and came across the page where you have to hook your KTTW cards to a credit card, or specify cash or whatever. If you hook them to your credit card, does it automatically make a charge every time you get something, or can you "settle up" at the end by paying cash or part cash and part credit?

Also, for the kids... say we tie our cards to our Amex but deny them charging privileges...can we attach a certain amount of cash to their cards only, like pay $50 and the card has a $50 limit? Or "charge them up" a little for the arcade? I didn't know if you could separate things like that.

Thanks!

Originally posted by MelissaE1
OK you DCL experts out there... :)

I was filling out my docs and came across the page where you have to hook your KTTW cards to a credit card, or specify cash or whatever. If you hook them to your credit card, does it automatically make a charge every time you get something, or can you "settle up" at the end by paying cash or part cash and part credit?

Thanks!

My understanding is that they will charge once it get to a certain $$$ amount... do not remember where I heard this or what the amount was. Not much help huh??? LOL

Hi Melissa,

To answer some of your questions.

DCL chargers your listed credit card when your account reaches approximately $200-300. If you put cash or Disney Dollars down on your account at the beginning of the cruise, but you must do it once on the ship, the cash, disney dollars will get used first then your charge card.

As far as charging previlages for kids. You can not set a limit on their spending. Once charging previleges are put on the card they can charge against the account.

You can prebuy arcade tickets and then give them those to use.

Hope that helps.

have a great cruise.

KennyK

As far as charging previlages for kids. You can not set a limit on their spending. Once charging previleges are put on the card they can charge against the account.

A couple of funny incidents related to this. Just back from the 12/28 7 day. One afternoon they had a magician comedian give a demonstraton on magic tricks to the kids. Afterwards he was selling magic kits. He told the kids "Hey kids, the cool thing about this is that you don't need money. As long as your parent have a blue card you can get one!!!" My DS-7 asks me "Dad, do you have one of those blue cards so I can buy a magic kit"

Another: Passing by the internet cafe I overhear a father chastising his son for running up 90 minutes of internet charges at the cafe... @ .75 a minute!!!

Needless to say, our kids did not have charging priviledges.

Thanks for the info, everyone. :) I see how it works now. I guess I will "prebuy" arcade tickets, suspend the charging privileges, and keep my "blue card" to myself. (grin)

Guest services told me they charge it the credit card when the account hits $400. They totally messed up my accounts though. We had 2 rooms and each had our own credit cards tied to the rooms. At check in they asked if did we really want the 2 rooms with 2 different cards. I said yes, just as I had filled it out. Well, everything got charged to one account anyway. I tried to pay at the end with a check(for part of my room bill) and they said no.....no partial check payments. They would only take checks for the entire amount or it had to go on the card. I didn't know it was going all on the other card at that time. I called DCL back when we got our statements and I saw they had charged all my things to the other room. He was horrified of their mistake and said someone from another department would call after it got straightened out. It's been 2 months and no one has called yet. It wasn't really a problem, but a great annoyance that they wouldn't do it as I asked and as I had filled out the papers.

MelissaE1,

I can relate to your problem. On our last cruise we had 4 adults in our cabin with each having their own charging privleges. I constantly checked the accounts of each person during the cruise to make sure the charges were in the right accounts. By doing this, there were no surprises at the end of the cruise.

Kennyk

and they did charge my card when we hit $400. I had put down my regular Visa card bc they put a hold on your card and did not want a hold (I think it's $400) put on my bank card, but I did not want to "charge" our incidentals, I wanted to pay wtih real money. So, on the last night I went to Guest Services and they issued a credit to my Visa, then charged the total to my bank card. They did not give me any hassle at all. It may have helped that I went down there at about 1 am!

On another note, be very careful that all your charges have posted when you settle up your final bill. I got a $35 surprise charge to my card (the Visa, since they had that on file) about a week after I got home. It seems that our Palo's brunch from the very first day had not posted b4 we left the ship, and I did not even notice. Luckily it was not a large charge, but still, it seemed funny to me that the Palo's dinner we had on the last night got on there, but something we charged the first day did not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter