Questions about Old Key West Resort

faeflora

<font color=blue>Meredith College Class of '06<br>
Hi,
We are looking at a possible three night stay at this resort and am wondering if anyone has been lately and what they think of the resort. We would be going in January and would be looking at a 1 bedroom villa.
Thanks in advance.
Julia

Faeflora,

If you are looking for spacious accomodations, OKW is the place. It is also a very laid out resort. There is a lovely main pool (no slide, however) and several quiet pools near the different buidings. If you want alot of detail, try doing a search on the Disney Vacation Resort (DVC) thread. There are tons of comments/reviews of OKW out there. As an owner at OKW, I'd say you can't go wrong.

We are DVC owners,and OKW is our home resort. The rooms are very spacious.. The resort itself covers a fair amount of area, and is laid out around a golf course. The pace is relaxed and laid back. They have a nice restaurant(Olivia's) and a nice pool area, although the pool is not as elaborate as say, SAB or the BW pool with the rollercoaster slide. It is, however, large and kind of curvy, with a very nice children's play area with sand bottom and sort of a sea/nautical theme. You can rent boats and bikes, there is a nice walking path, there is a boat the takes you to DD. It is set up like a condo as opposed to like a hotel, so, if you have a car, you can park near the front door of your unit. Some people have a problem with the bus service being slow...I have personally never experienced that. I think the bus service is equivalent to any other WDW resort. If you are staying in a 1BR, you will have a full kitchen, a bathroom with a jacuzzi type tub, a full size washer/dryer(great for decerasing the amount you have to pack....I pack for half the # of days of my trip and do a load of laundry in the evening while I am sitting on my balcony sipping a drink and/or snacking....very relaxing!). IMHO, it's a beautiful resort. It's location is not like YC/BC or BW, where you are within walking distance to 2 major parks and lots of action...it's a little quieter.

Thank you both for your replys. My hubby and I spent our 10th anniversary last year at the Disney Institute and really loved the fact that the resort was so laid back and peaceful.
We are currently planning a January trip to WDW with my parents and thought they might like to try a home away from home property and I thought OKW would be perfect. We are going to try and book a 1 bedroom since it sleeps four adults and sounds spacious.
Thanks so much for the information it definitely makes me want to book for January.

If you loved DI, I think you will be in heaven at OKW. It is the same general area as DI, so you are familiar with the location but the accomodations are much larger and more modern. It is laid out on the golf course. The villa will have just about every convenience you can ask for (jacuzzi, washer/dryer, dishwasher, etc., etc.)

The one-bedroom villa has a king bed in the bedroom and a queen sleeper sofa in the living room. You might want to keep this in mind when planning your stay.

OKW is great. We just booked a trip in Nove and are taking my family down with us... We are DVC members but belong to the BW but when we need a lot of room and quiet space we go to OKW. Have a blast!!!

I don't think you will want to stay in a regular hotel room again after doing a one bedroom at OKW!:) :)

There is a wonderful jacuzzi bathtub in the one bedroom which is very nice after a long day in the park. The porch or balcony has lovely views and is nice to sit out with a favorite beverage. Don't forget that you don't have to take a lot of clothes with the washer and dryer there, also!

Have a great trip!

Another positive post here. We've been members since OKW opened (as The Disney Vacation Club back then!) and love the resort. Hope you have a great time at my "home"!!

ENJOY!!!!

Thank you all so much, wow I am getting so excited about this trip plan. Ok so one more question if possible which units should I request that would have separate entrances to the bathroom?

If I remember correctly all homes numbered 30 and over have the seperate entrace to the master bathroom through the laundry room. You can actually just request that you want a one bedroom villa with a seperate entrance to the bathroom. They will know what you are talking about....

We just stayed at building 54 and there was a separate entrance to the bathroom. It is in South Pointe area which is near a nice pool and nice and quiet. It is not near the front pool, but my family does not mind. You should ask this question on the DVC board. I can't keep straight which do and which don't! There are lots of people over there that do know!!!! Have a wonderful trip!

Wow such great information I am so thankful I really appreciate it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter