Questions about Mears Shuttle to Swan and Dolphin

brewhome

DIS Veteran
Hi Swan and Dolphin fans,

I need your advice! My sis and I are thinking of staying at one of these two resorts this September, but the only thing that's really making us hesitate is the fact that Magical Express does not apply.

Have any of you used the Mears shuttle buses to get from MCO to the hotel and back? How did it go for you? Did you have to wait long for the bus to leave MCO, or was it as quick as when you use Magical Express? Do you need to be picked up at the hotel 3 hours early to go back to the airport like with Magical Express?

Thanks for your help! The resorts look great, other than this one item... so any feedback on your experiences would be appreciated.

Looking for the same info myself. Heading down on Wed!

Before ME, we used Mears. They were efficent & reasonably priced but we found that we prefered a private towncar rental for a round trip - plus they will stop at a grocery on the way in if you prearrange. It cost more but you are in control of the time, won't have to leave quite as early or pick up/drop off other guests along the way. Our last ME we were concerned we weren't going to get back to the airport in time due to so many pick ups!

We are thinking of a split stay ending at Dolphin so we will have ME on the way in & I expressed this concern to Dolphin ressies - I was told they have a limo or towncar service available you can schedule at the hotel but I'd rather have those details ironed out before I leave home - just my comfort level.

Hopefully others more in the know will post to let us all know who that might be &/or the efficency of Mears servicing Dolphin/Swan guest in more recent days.

When I have stayed at the S/D, I usually used a car service. BUT....the last time I stayed there, I decided to use the Mears shuttle service in order to get some first hand info for the board. So,,,,,here are my thoughts.
The cost was reasonable. About $32 pp r/t. If you have more than 3 in your group, a car service may be a better idea.
You can book your shuttle ride to the S/D ahead of time, online, pay for it, and then just print out your 'bus voucher' when you get to the Mears counter at MCO. Very easy to find the Mears area...just head down to level 1, same as the DME area.
So....I printed out my voucher, went out to the bus area. I had carryon bags only. There was a van that was being loaded at this time, but it looked pretty full. I was given a 'beeper' and told when it beeped, to come back to the kiosk. They told me it would be about 20 mins. Okay....I headed to a nearby bench, sat down and started cleaning out my carryon bag...it always gets all discombobulated when I am flight. Well...about 4 mins later, my beeper went off....I was put in the van!! Cool. The driver was a hoot...told us lots of interesting stuff about the area. I met some really nice people. And got to see parts of Orlando I never knew existed...Old Town was something.
It took me about 90 mins, start to finish, to use the Mears shuttle. I was pleasantly surprised, and now I have no problem recommending it.
As far as the ride back to the airport...you can pretty much let them know when you want to leave (at least I think that's the case). I just wouldn't wait too long to head to the airport. Yes, I realize a lot of people think that DME leaves way too early. But, here's the thing.....if you use Mears, you have no idea how many other stops you will be making.

As far as the private towncar services go.....I love 'em. There are many of them just sitting and waiting at the S/D resorts. Or, you can book one in advance.

Me?? I love using the car services. Especially if you have checked bags. The driver helps you with the baggage, then into your own private ride, and off to your resort, with no other stops, unless you have requested a grocery store stop.

If cost is an issue, go with Mears. It's really pretty good. But, if you don't mind spending a bit more, go with a car service.

I stay at S/D almost every year & have used town cars, cabs & Mears to get back & forth. Mears was fine & with just 2 people this will be the cheapest option for you.

Thanks for the play-by-play Diane! I'm heading down next month for a conference and DH will follow the next day. We're staying at the Dolphin but on past stays we've had our own car. Now I know just what to expect when using Mears.

Thanks for the play-by-play Diane! I'm heading down next month for a conference and DH will follow the next day. We're staying at the Dolphin but on past stays we've had our own car. Now I know just what to expect when using Mears.
The things I do for my board!!! Pretty much threw myself 'onto' the bus, just to gather some first hand knowledge.
I love the Dolphin, prefer it to the Swan. I love staying there....wish I had a stay planned!!! Have fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter