Questions about linking reservations

LisaS

DIS Veteran
Has MS ever been unable to link two reservations for you? I'm not talking about reservations that are "unlinkable" (different room types, different resorts) but rather two reservations that should be linkable but the computer system refused to link them together.

Have you ever had MS link reservations together but then were told at check in you would have to move rooms?

I'm curious whether linking is always an option and guarantees you can stay in the same room or whether it is usually possible but not guaranteed.

I will find out in 15 days. I booked a studio for Aug 3 - 9. Then added one night in a studio with our developer points to stay Saturday night. The last time I called MS, I was told the reservations were linked and I should be staying in the same studio. I have to call to take some folks off the 2bdrm, so I'll check my studio reservations tomorrow. Then we'll find out Aug 2 if I stay or have to move on Sunday.

The closest I've had to the situation you describe is one time when I did a dbd reservation for BWV std during NYE week. On day 3 the computer wouldn't let MS add a day to my current ressie, so she closed it out, started a new one, and linked them together. I didn't have to move.

I have checked in at the front desk, with what I thought were linked reservations , only to be told I would have to move rooms . I was hesitant at first but asked if they would make sure I had to move , they still said I would. I then asked if it was a new policy that when I had linked reservations before I did not have to move rooms. They went out back and wouldn't you kow it I did NOT have to change rooms . This has happened twice although now I will just say please check for the linked ressies and that unless things have changed we have always been able to stay in same room ( of course unless changing category or size room )

If the rooms are from the same inventory and linked, you should not have to change rooms. Unless DVC changes their approach, there is no limitation to linking other than the inventory and unit type. For example you can't link a CRO room and a DVC room and you can't link a 2 BR lockoff with a 2 BR dedicated. Realizing that BCV has 2 types of dedicated 2 BR units, all other units of the same type reserved on points (including MS cash reservations) should be linkable and treated as ONE reservation. There is a risk of error along the way as noted above.

Have you ever had MS link reservations together but then were told at check in you would have to move rooms?

I had two linked reservations for our stay at AKV a few weeks ago (one of the reasons I am so happy about the new reservation system - no more linking, I think!).

No problems regarding switching out of our crappy savanna view, however - I did not realize that providing a credit card at check-in meant we were agreeing to express checkout. When we physically checked out, they had already applied the charges to the first reservation and said they could not make any changes, i.e., CM would not credit our Disney reward dollars from Visa card against the charges. At first they said both reservations were "closed out" but I persisted and eventually they applied the credit from the rewards card against the incidental charges that were attributed to the second linked reservation. The charges attributed to the first reservation in the link were over and done with.

So based on everyone's comments it sounds like MS is always able to link the reservations. That leads me to believe that linking probably amounts to nothing more than an entry in a database, as opposed to blocking out nights in a virtual room in the reservation system. It appears that the real work is done when room assignments are made. The discussion elsewhere on the boards about how the reservation system might work got me curious whether people's experiences with linking reservations might provide some more clues. Thank you to everyone who replied!

YUP and to me IMO it was such a silly reason they couldn't link mine! UGH.
My kids and I are flying in a few days earlier then the rest of my party . ( total. The total party will be there on a Monday but my kids and I (3 total) are checking in for an extra day so we will check in on Sunday. Since the 9 total have the dinning plan if I were to check in under the main ressie every one would need to have the dinning plan for that 1 extra day!:scared1: Keep in mind the other 6 people in the party won't even be in the state! We are doing the deluxe dinning so it isn't even like we could say we'll hold on to the extra meal tix. So what they have to do is they have me down with the kids in a 2 bedroom dedicated for 1 night no dinning plan. Then in the morning I have to check out and HOPEFULLY I can keep the same room and check back in to a 2 bedroom dedicated. I just don't see why they can't start the dining plan on that Monday. It is just plan silly! I really hope I don't have to move rooms!!!!!!!

YUP and to me IMO it was such a silly reason they couldn't link mine! UGH.
My kids and I are flying in a few days earlier then the rest of my party . ( total. The total party will be there on a Monday but my kids and I (3 total) are checking in for an extra day so we will check in on Sunday. Since the 9 total have the dinning plan if I were to check in under the main ressie every one would need to have the dinning plan for that 1 extra day!:scared1: Keep in mind the other 6 people in the party won't even be in the state! We are doing the deluxe dinning so it isn't even like we could say we'll hold on to the extra meal tix. So what they have to do is they have me down with the kids in a 2 bedroom dedicated for 1 night no dinning plan. Then in the morning I have to check out and HOPEFULLY I can keep the same room and check back in to a 2 bedroom dedicated. I just don't see why they can't start the dining plan on that Monday. It is just plan silly! I really hope I don't have to move rooms!!!!!!!
It sounds like they could have linked them, you just wouldn't have liked the results of having to pay for the DDP for the extra night. DVC has no control over the DDP rules and that is the rule, all in the room for the entire LOS. Odds are you won't have to move. Just go early in the morning and "check in", assuming all are a dedicated 2 BR, the chances of you having to move by going early are ALMOST zero unless you're at BCV, there it depends. Good luck and let us know how it works out please.

Yes they Could have linked them but who wants to pay for 6 deluxe dinning plans if the people aren't even in the state? So they couldn't have linked them in a realistic way. KWIM?

I was told I probably wouldn't have to move BUT they couldn't guarantee it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter