Questions about GREAT BAY in St. Maarten

Holly&Joesmommy

Mouseketeer
Questions about GREAT BAY in ST. MAARTEN Our family is trying to pick a beach in St. Maarten,...but we have some questions...I hope someone can help us out.
Our first choice is Great Bay just b/c of the convience of it.... :confused3
but we are also thinking about Little Bay...any or all opinons please :listen:
QUESTIONS:
1. Can you find a nice spot on Great bay that is not overly crowded to relax?
2. Are there pushy sales people all the way down the beach?
3. When is the best time to hit the beach before or after shopping?(still thinking of the crowd)

Holly&Joesmommy said:
Questions about GREAT BAY in ST. MAARTEN Our family is trying to pick a beach in St. Maarten,...but we have some questions...I hope someone can help us out.
Our first choice is Great Bay just b/c of the convience of it.... :confused3
but we are also thinking about Little Bay...any or all opinons please :listen:
QUESTIONS:
1. Can you find a nice spot on Great bay that is not overly crowded to relax?It didn't seem overly crowded when we went in December
2. Are there pushy sales people all the way down the beach?The sales people were a little annoying. I would assume they are the same all the way up and down the beach. We just told them no and they would leave, but then shortly someone else would come by.
3. When is the best time to hit the beach before or after shopping?(still thinking of the crowd)
Not really sure. We did the beach first and went back to the ship. I got cleaned up and went back out shopping on my own.

it is a crowded beach, but we were in the water the entire time, and did not really care, my kids did use the trampoline but that is it, there were jet skis available. It is very convenient to the ship.

We've gone over there twice and had a good time. It's a lot quieter and much less crowded. There are some rental stuff there, along with restrooms and a snack bar. The snorkeling along the east side of the bay is nice. Watch out for all the fire coral, though.

To give you another option we have been to St. Martin 2 summers in a row. We have 2 sons (now 5 and 8). Last summer we spent the day at Orient Beach and it was fun. Lots of chairs and umbrella's, yes some nudity but not a lot and we have seen a lot more on vacations in Playa del Carmen Mexico. But it is a long taxi ride, more expensive and VERY crowded.

But a few weeks ago we were on the August 5th Magic and we got off the ship and stopped to look at the big map they have right by the information center and we wanted to try something new. I had to decide Great Bay or Divi Bay.

We went early since we were up. We were at the beach by 10:00 am.
We went with Divi Bay which is part of the Divi Beach Resort. It was a short $4.00 per person taxi ride and the chair & umbrella rental were inexpensive ($5.00 for each). It was really beautiful, the water was clear and calm. It was not crowded at all. There was an area to get drinks and snacks.

We were thrilled with our choice. We left around 2:00 pm and did some shopping and had a late lunch on the Magic. The crowd did seem to pick up later in the afternoon but not crazy like at Orient Beach the prior year.

We always wish we would have more time in STT but since you have a long day in St. Martin you have plenty of time to hit a beach first and then shop.

Just thought I would give you another option. Remember when you get off the ship there is an information center. Try NOT to listen to what the "official tourism" workers tell you bc they have motives in where they advise you to go. You are doing your research now so go with what you know.

The map is helpful and you will be able to see Great Bay Beach, Divi Beach (and Resort) and several other beaches. You can also look on the back of the Navigator you will receive for St. Martin and on the back it will list some family friendly beaches and information.

Have fun!
GN

gamecockinnc said:
But a few weeks ago we were on the August 5th Magic and we got off the ship and stopped to look at the big map they have right by the information center and we wanted to try something new. I had to decide Great Bay or Divi Bay.

We went with Divi Bay which is part of the Divi Beach Resort. It was a short $4.00 per person taxi ride and the chair & umbrella rental were inexpensive ($5.00 for each). It was really beautiful, the water was clear and calm. It was not crowded at all. There was an area to get drinks and snacks.

This beach sounds really nice. I was thinking about Orient Beach, but I'm not sure I want to deal with a large crowd. Does Divi Bay have any rentals there? Jetskis? DH & DS need jetskis... :sad2:

gamecockinnc said:
To give you another option we have been to St. Martin 2 summers in a row. We have 2 sons (now 5 and 8). Last summer we spent the day at Orient Beach and it was fun. Lots of chairs and umbrella's, yes some nudity but not a lot and we have seen a lot more on vacations in Playa del Carmen Mexico. But it is a long taxi ride, more expensive and VERY crowded.

We were thrilled with our choice. We left around 2:00 pm and did some shopping and had a late lunch on the Magic. The crowd did seem to pick up later in the afternoon but not crazy like at Orient Beach the prior year.

We always wish we would have more time in STT but since you have a long day in St. Martin you have plenty of time to hit a beach first and then shop.

Just thought I would give you another option. Remember when you get off the ship there is an information center. Try NOT to listen to what the "official tourism" workers tell you bc they have motives in where they advise you to go. You are doing your research now so go with what you know.

The map is helpful and you will be able to see Great Bay Beach, Divi Beach (and Resort) and several other beaches. You can also look on the back of the Navigator you will receive for St. Martin and on the back it will list some family friendly beaches and information.

Have fun!
GN

This sounds like what we want to do,...thanks to all for all of your info :surfweb:

I am thinking hit the beach early then back to ship for lunch & drop of the kids, then shop, so the kids can go to club,..so I don't have to hear ALL day,..."MOM,.. can we go to club now???? :rolleyes1 " I love that they love club! Everyones happy :thumbsup2

I too an wondering if you can rent trampoline time or jet skis at divi beach...
does anyone know? :confused3

They did have jet ski's but no water trampoline. But it was a great day. It was not as crazy as Orient Beach and it was a short ride. The taxi was $4.00 per person so when you get off the Magic follow the signs to the taxi stands and they have signs for each location the taxi's go to but usually a taxi driver will ask you where you want to go and just tell him Divi Beach. Make sure they charge you the correct amount. There are several signs around with the taxi fares. The chairs were $5.00 each and an umbrella was $5.00. There was a shop to buy drinks and snacks. They drop you off at the older part of the resort but you are using the beach so it does not matter. You will see to the left the new Divi Bay Beach Resort between the two is the jet ski rental stand.

It was a great day, calm, plenty of room and relaxing.

Enjoy!
GN

Please excuse my ignorance but who do you pay to rent your chair and umbrella. Is their a clear marked sign that says chairs for rent. I am very new to all this, sorry :confused3 Are there restrooms to use also? Thanks!

I have not been to St. Maarten, but I'm guessing :confused3 it will be like most of the other beaches,...there should be a stand of some sort to rent and sometimes if the chairs are just out there to sit in, an employee from that resort will come over to you and let you know that there is a rental fee.
Some of our fellow dis'ers can clear this Q up for us I'm sure.

I was also looking at beaches to go to there and was definately looking for one that would be quieter, Great Bay was never an option, I was hoping to do some snorkeling and was thinking of Dawn Beach or Coconut Grove/Le Galion, both would have longer, more expensive taxi rides. So now I am thinking about Little Bay (and watching out for the Fire Coral) or can you tell me if there is decent snorkeling at Devi ? Thanks.

GeorgiaVol said:
We've gone over there twice and had a good time. It's a lot quieter and much less crowded. There are some rental stuff there, along with restrooms and a snack bar. The snorkeling along the east side of the bay is nice. Watch out for all the fire coral, though.

ok, to my knowledge, I have never seen fire coral, I have researched it some since you mentioned it, but I have another question for you, is this something that I will only see in the deeper water, when snorkleing or diving? I guess what I really want to know is if my kids can play in the shallow water w/o running into it? I know that some beaches have tons of Jellyfish that wash up on shore, just wondering if we need to be educating the kids. :teacher:

I have snorkled and dove in and around the Virgin Islands and fire coral was always part of a reef, not in all reefs though. So just swimming around in open water you won't see any, and, when you do dive or snorkle coral shouldn't be touched anyway, not to say your leg couldn't brush up against it or something. But anyway, no problem with the swimming. :sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter