• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Questions about Flying to Orlando

kath1210

DIS Veteran
OK, we've been to Orlando many times, but only flew once many, many years ago. We are going to WDW December 18-26, and I am seriously considering flying to avoid weather issues.

We can get nonstop flights on SW from BWI to MCO for $212.90 roundtrip each. Is this a good fare for Christmas time?

How much of a pain is traveling during these dates? Can I use Magical Express only for the trip home? How is ME?

Anything else I need to think about? I need to book these tickets today!!

Thanks!

Just allow extra time to get through the ticket counter, security, ect.

You can use Magical Express both ways. When you arrive at MCO DME will transport you and the luggage will arrive at the resort shortly after you arrive. On your return trip you will have to take the luggage on the bus to the airport and then you will need to check in and have them tag your luggage. Everyone is entitled to use DME from MCO to the resorts. It is only on your return trip that some have to handle their luggage on the bus and through the airport but you can ride DME to the airport.

Ummm I love SWA

I think you should book the flights and if SWA comes out with cheaper tickets (through DING or something), they will let you rebook for no fee. You can even change/cancel your tickets easily too (for weather issues etc).

I am the BWI SWA princess (I fly out of BWI on SWA often so if you have any more BWI SWA questions just ask)

Like another poster mentioned, if you book with SWA and there is a fare sale and a less expensive fare is available or if you decide to change your dates/times to get a cheaper SWA fare, you can change (with no fee) and get a credit that can be used toward another SWA flight up to one year in the future.

I booked Hartford, CT to MCO for $710.60 RT for 4 people as soon as the flights became available. When the fare on my first flight was lowered $10, I changed the booking and got a $40 credit. I'm hoping that SWA runs a sale for $49 each way soon (a common sale price for BDL-MCO), in which case, I would get a $240 credit I could apply toward our next trip!

Thanks everyone! I booked the tickets!! My kids are really excited, since they've never flown before.

If I see a cheaper fare, how do I apply it? Do I book the lower-priced tickets and then call SWA about canceling the others? Or, do I call them and ask to have the lower fare applied to my tickets?

Thanks!

kath1210 said:
Thanks everyone! I booked the tickets!! My kids are really excited, since they've never flown before.

If I see a cheaper fare, how do I apply it? Do I book the lower-priced tickets and then call SWA about canceling the others? Or, do I call them and ask to have the lower fare applied to my tickets?

Thanks!

You do it all online- you cancel your previous tickets and rebook using the old confirmation number to apply your ticketless travel funds (i think thats what they call them). It's totally easy.

Yay!

Forevryoung said:
You do it all online- you cancel your previous tickets and rebook using the old confirmation number to apply your ticketless travel funds (i think thats what they call them). It's totally easy.

Yay!
hmm..I thought I just made a change on one of the pages...I would be hesitant to cancel one and taking a chance on not having the other available.

DMRick said:
hmm..I thought I just made a change on one of the pages...I would be hesitant to cancel one and taking a chance on not having the other available.

Well, thats how I did it... Someone might have an easier way :confused3 :teeth:

You can make sure your flight is completely available by going as far in the process as the page where you enter your payment method.

You do not need to cancel and rebook. You can go to Change A Reservation under Travel Tools on the Southwest website. You are able to change each or both legs of your trip. If you change to a lower fare you will receive the difference in Ticketless Travel Funds which you could use for another trip. You may also be able to call Southwest's Customer Service number and request a refund to your credit card of these funds. And I think the $212 fare is very good for Christmas time.

I just called Southwest this week and got my credit card credited for a lower fare for our August trip. The first customer service agent said she couldn't do it, but I could try to call their main office. I did and they credited it to my cc. You just have to wait until after you take the flight I believe.

EthansMom said:
If you see that a lower airfare is available, don't cancel your existing reservation. Just go here: http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/changeItinerary.html and follow directions. :)

I just saw a much lower DING fare for one leg of my trip, but was not able to apply it by using this method. I had to cancel my entire original reservation, and then re-book each leg separately, since there was no DING fare available for the return trip. Did I miss something?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter