Questions about Fall 2010 Discount Packages and Halloweentime

Red24Red30

Comets!
Hello there,

This is my first post on the DISboards, though I've been lurking around as a visitor for a few years. I was born in NorCal and lived there for the first 18 years of my life before moving with my wife to Florida to take part in the Professional Internship programs at DAK and Epcot. Due to the expense of living in both CA and FL, we currently reside in Houston and we're excited to be going back to Disneyland after being absorbed in WDW for a year and a half!

Now to get to the point, I have a sort of dilemma here. This is going to be an extra-special trip for us because it will be our first time going all-out and staying at a Disney property: the Disneyland Hotel. I would like to book a flight as early as possible before prices climb, but Disney has not released official dates for either the fall travel packages or the Halloweentime celebration. I went to the planner at Disneyland.com and entered dates for September 27 - October 1, and I still got the Summer Travel Package rate, (even though most sites list the promotion as ending on September 26.) That's all well and good, but I'm afraid that we'll miss Halloweentime because we'll be there too early. On the other hand, if we book for the week after, I'm pretty sure we'll make it for Halloweentime, but we won't get the Summer Travel Package rate and I don't know what sort of Fall deal they'll have, if any. Alternatively, I could wait for the Halloweentime and Fall Discount deals to be officially released, but by that time I might miss out on cheap plane tickets!

So any way I turn, it seems there's some sort of risk. Does anybody have any advice on what to do? Am I seriously freaking out needlessly? Thanks in advance for any help!

Hello there,

This is my first post on the DISboards, though I've been lurking around as a visitor for a few years. I was born in NorCal and lived there for the first 18 years of my life before moving with my wife to Florida to take part in the Professional Internship programs at DAK and Epcot. Due to the expense of living in both CA and FL, we currently reside in Houston and we're excited to be going back to Disneyland after being absorbed in WDW for a year and a half!

Now to get to the point, I have a sort of dilemma here. This is going to be an extra-special trip for us because it will be our first time going all-out and staying at a Disney property: the Disneyland Hotel. I would like to book a flight as early as possible before prices climb, but Disney has not released official dates for either the fall travel packages or the Halloweentime celebration. I went to the planner at Disneyland.com and entered dates for September 27 - October 1, and I still got the Summer Travel Package rate, (even though most sites list the promotion as ending on September 26.) That's all well and good, but I'm afraid that we'll miss Halloweentime because we'll be there too early. On the other hand, if we book for the week after, I'm pretty sure we'll make it for Halloweentime, but we won't get the Summer Travel Package rate and I don't know what sort of Fall deal they'll have, if any. Alternatively, I could wait for the Halloweentime and Fall Discount deals to be officially released, but by that time I might miss out on cheap plane tickets!

So any way I turn, it seems there's some sort of risk. Does anybody have any advice on what to do? Am I seriously freaking out needlessly? Thanks in advance for any help!

Hello there! Welcome to the DIS!:goodvibes

First of all, if you have not already done so, feel free to scroll through our "Halloween at DL" photo and information superthread and look at the wonderful pictures of all the things to look forward to at DLR during Halloweentime season. Here is the link:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2408927

I can't help with travel package dates, but I can tell you that, unless DLR changes its previously laid out scheduling patterns for Halloweentime, then the "official" start of the season this year should be Friday, September 24th. It usually begins on the last Friday in September, and that means any attractions, seasonal food, merchandise and decorations will be up and running on that date.

The only Halloween-related thing that will most likely not yet be up on September 24th - again, unless DLR changes its usual schedule - is the Trick or Treat Party, which generally starts on the first Friday in October, so exactly one week after Halloweentime season begins. So the TOTP should begin this year on Friday, October 1st. Of course, things are always subject to change. DLR may move some of its dates around depending on the kinds of crowds they get for World of Color. But assuming they stay on course, then 9/24 should be the opening day of Halloweentime. I can't see them starting it on 9/17, as that is too early. And I can't see them starting the entire season on 10/1, as that seems too late. So I am thinking 9/24 will be the date for the season, and 10/1 will be the TOTP start date. You should be in the clear!

The Disneyland Hotel is great - how wonderful that you will be staying there!!

Thanks Sherry! It's great to be a part of such an active and helpful community. It feels like I'm working at Disney again. ;)

It's good to hear that usual start date for Halloweentime should be before we get there. I know nothing's for certain until it's officially announced by the Mouse, but like you said, I can't imagine them starting it as late as October 1st.

We were "lucky" enough for our car to break down when we drove from Houston to Anaheim (not recommended!) in September 2007. We were originally going to miss it, but because of our delay, we ended up arriving the very first day of Halloweentime (that year it began on September 20!) Naturally, we had a blast (it was my wife's first trip to DL, after being a longtime WDW veteran). She was like a giddy little 5-year-old again, which is probably how I'll be when I finally get to experience SM: Ghost Galaxy! I had been "settling" for the WDW Space Mountain for a while now (still a good classic ride IMHO, but definitely no equal to DL's!)

Thanks again for your help and for the welcome!

You're welcome!

I was there on that same exact day in 2007, the day that the official Halloweentime season began! It was raining off and on that day (in fact, somewhere in that "Halloween at DL" thread that I included the link for above, I posted a photo of the giant Mickey pumpkin in the rain from that day, with people walking by in slickers)!!

I should point out, just because it's interesting - that Halloweentime start date in 2007 was actually one week earlier than when it started last year or in 2008. This is why I say IF DLR sticks to its usual patterns and chooses the last Friday in September to be the start date (which would be 9/24 this year). For all I know, they could do it a week earlier again like in 2007 (on the 17th of September), but that almost seems too early.

I checked out those Halloween pics of yours! Ah, the memories. I do remember the rain, particularly at night. We rode the DLRR twice in a row at park closing (last ones on the train) and on the way back to the hotel, it was pouring like a tropical storm. Riding the train last is one of my favorite things to do before heading home; that and riding the Haunted Mansion.

Anyway, that's cool to know you were there the same day! Makes you wonder how many other DISboarders are strolling around any particular day.

I checked out those Halloween pics of yours! Ah, the memories. I do remember the rain, particularly at night. We rode the DLRR twice in a row at park closing (last ones on the train) and on the way back to the hotel, it was pouring like a tropical storm. Riding the train last is one of my favorite things to do before heading home; that and riding the Haunted Mansion.

Anyway, that's cool to know you were there the same day! Makes you wonder how many other DISboarders are strolling around any particular day.

I remember that nighttime rain well, except we were not out in it! It was like a monsoon. And then the next day, it rained on and off during the day - like it would pour heavily at one moment (like when the Mickey pumpkin picture was taken with the people running around in slickers!) and we would all run for cover. The suddenly it would dry up and become like 80 degrees and hot! Then it would rain briefly again, then the warm sun would come out again. Finally it stopped raining for a long time and we thought it was over. But at night, the heavy, heavy rain started again! And when we woke up in the morning, I think only puddles and assorted remnants were left over. It was crazy - and it was totally different from how it was when we went back in 2008. In 2008, there was no rain in sight. In fact, we were having a heatwave in October, and it was like 95 degrees at 5 p.m. on a Friday (after being almost 100 degrees all week leading up to that), then it was in the 80's on Saturday, and then in the 70's on Sunday. And last year it was in the 80's when we went. September 2007 was definitely the craziest Halloweentime at DLR, weather-wise.

Hello there,

Just wanted to say Welcome.

Jack

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter