• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Questions about Disney Youth Programs

We did one like 4 years ago back when the tickets were very discounted. It was significantly cheaper than any other tickets I could get. We did the class at animal kingdom and ds had just turned 10. We got in the early entry line. The instructor was great, very educational. They did fun trivia questions with small prizes throughout the class. We got to skip the line for the safari ride. Class was a few hours long. The discount on tickets alone was worth it but I think even the actual class was really cool. The tickets now aren't nearly as discounted but I would definitely do it again. I was torn between that or free dining this fall, ended up doing free dining because we want to do a bunch of character meals this timIe and it worked out better but next trip will probably be another yes program. Edited to say we did the individual enrollment class!

The YES Program was my advanced internship back in 2000. I loved doing the tours. Many things have changed now. The tickets to get into the park were a lot cheaper then they are today. People would buy the tickets for the class and not show up. The instructors put great effort into their tours. I believe Disney stopped doing the 6 hour tours and those tours usually included a voucher for lunch. The tours I gave where my favorite, America's Story- 6 hours in MK, Science & Synergy Epcot, Disney's Animation now HS, and Disney's Production Arts and Sciences in HS. I believe the tours were changed so that they are aligned with Common Core. Most of my tour groups were school systems but I also had a few Girl Scout Troops. I believe there are special dates offered for home school. Also there is a podcast where T describes her daughter's experience in one of the tours. If I remember correctly even with annual pass they had to buy ticket but memory could be blurry on that because I heard the podcast a while ago. (I will try to find it and link it to this thread. Some reasons for skipping a ride that would usually be included with the program may be the ride being down for rehab, late arrival which makes it harder to get through the lines for rides( My MK tour started at 6:30 so we could be already in the MK and could proceed to Splash Mt before the crowds came through the opened gates.) Tours are also designed for different grade levels but you will see that when you look at the tour description sheet. This was my favorite position at Disney World.

Helpful links
http://www.disunplugged.com/2013/01...isneyland-learning-laboratories-in-the-parks/
http://www.disneyyouth.com/our-prog...ion-series/#categories-youth-education-series

T's experience (well her daughter's) https://www.podcat.com/podcasts/FEN...isodes/VEROUi-08-03-11-youth-education-series

Question. If you go with the YES program, do you forgo your ability to book FP since you get a voucher for your tickets?

My kids and I participated in the YES program last summer. It was a last minute trip - I bought the tickets on August 6th for a September 1st class. Within 24 hours of paying for the tickets I received an email with a ticket ID number. I entered that into MDE account and was immediately able to make FP. I don't know if they normally give you the ticket numbers that quickly or if it was because we were within 30 day window.

We got our ticket number the day before our 60-day window opened and were able to make FP with no trouble.

Leaving tomorrow for a YES trip that I'm leading. Over the past 5 or 6 years, I've led a trip each year. This year will be doing 2--prob. late Oct/early Nov for next one. Unfortunately, you do have to purchase a ticket, even if you have an AP. The prices went up significantly from 2015 to 2016, but before that they were an awesome deal. Now just ho-hum. I try to get my participants the best value for the money, though. We have done the Animation class at HS 2x--doesn't appear to be available currently. The History class at MK--the least liked for our group, The Careers in Marine Bio at EPCOT, and the Physics Energy & Waves. The Energy & Waves is the one that goes behind the scenes at the Haunted Mansion. That has been hands down the favorite, followed by Marine Bio. There is also a Properties of Motiion Physics class, which is prob. the one with Space Mountain. I think we will try an AK class next time. I usually have 10-12 homeschool families with me, sometimes a family that doesn't homeschool will join us. Doing it as a group is cheaper now that the individual enrollment classes.

WAY back when I was in High School, the classes they offered were called something else, and were much longer. Our 8th grade class at a very small high school went each year. That was my first trip to WDW. I did an entertainment class and we went into the Utilidors and I was hooked. I planned a family vacation for my family & my Mom's sister's family that summer--I was 13 and planning the trip, lol. When I was in 10th grade, there weren't enough 8th graders to go, so I got to again. I don't remember exactly what the class was then, but I know we went to Discovery Island and we learned a lot about the topiarys, and the like. That first trip was when I actually realized learning didn't have to be drudgery and has a good deal with why I chose to homeschool my children. Anyway, all that to say, even though the classes are not as good as they used to be, they are still good, and you can get a bit of discount. If you have any questions about traveling with a group, PM me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter