Questions about BLT -- advice needed

ldietiker

Disney dreaming...
Hi all - I'm trying to decide between BLT and THV. I know they are very different -- and my family (two sons 7 and 9 and wife) would pick them for very different reasons. I've focused on THV mostly, exploring what it has to offer, but recently have a nagging feeling that if a 1-bdrm is available at BLT for the time we're planning on traveling, that might also be a good fit.

While I love the secludedness THV offers, we're not crazy about needing a car to travel everywhere or taking a bus a long way. My family is only interested in traveling to EPCOT and MK and love the monorail. With points, we'd have enough for a 1 bdroom Lake View - and with the pull-out chair, each boy would still get his own bed (which keeps the peace :rotfl2:).

So here are my questions --

** On average (knowing that there are a lot of variables), how long should I expect it to take to walk from a villa at BLT to the monorail and take it to EPCOT (there is a transfer in the middle, I believe)??

** How is the pool at the BLT?

** Besides proximity to MK (which would be great for a late evening of fireworks), is there other advantages to BLT that I should know about or factor into my decision?

Thanks in advance!

Why not stay at BLT this time and THV next time and not worry about it. :goodvibes

:earsboy: Bill

We have stayed at BLT twice now..and again in just two days!!! :) This is the MOST convenient resort we have ever stayed at. Walking time to the Monorail is maybe 5 minutes. You do have to change Monorails at the TTC (which is your first stop) and then you proceed to Epcot. Getting back can be slower. Being able to walk to MK is just unbelievable...when you do the nighttime events, it's priceless to watch Wishes, then just turn around and walk out of the MK and "home". We have stayed at SSR, and have seen the threehouses, though never stayed in one. Honestly...BLT is just SOOOOO much easier!!! We love it there. If you decide to stay here, be sure to check out the Top of the World Lounge. Kids are welcome up there, too, and you won't find a better view of the fireworks. Hope this helps!!!

The pool, in the words of my ten yr old son...is AWESOME. Not huge, not the most awe-inspiring pool on property..but totally awesome! There is a nice glass-block slide, fountains to swim under in the zero-entry pool (nice for us moms!) and if Rayan is working the bar..you'll be very happy people. :)

If there's any other other questions I can answer for you, let me know!!

I would suggest BLT.

For a 7 and 9 year old, being about to walk to the MK is a great advantage.

Other advantages.
There are many places to pick to eat at the CR and around the monorail.
Viewing fireworks from the top of BLT, and getting the kids into bed 5 minutes after they end.
If you stay at BLT, you can use the CR pool also. Just a short walk away.
BLT has one of the best community halls.

Blt is one of our home resorts and we will never stay there again. The only advantage is location. Other than that it has no charm, no Disney magic, room would be nice if housekeeping did their jobs, nice pool but plan on sharing with a million bugs, lounge is nice to watch fire works if you don't mind "bothering" the attendant to let you on elevator. Sorry to be negative but we had a horrible time at blt. Room was filthy and cm were not friendly that is if you could find one. I am glad other poster had a good trip there maybe they are working on getting their act together. I would stay anywhere else on property as the other resorts have Disneyland charm and magic but to us blt is just a room to sleep in like a super 8. Good luck I sincerely hope your trip is better than ours.

We love BLT.

The kids love the pool and waterslide.

Watching the fireworks from our balcony was awesome. (and our room..we did a MK view the first time.) we did the Top, but we went up too early and didnt feel like going back. Our attendant Judy was super friendly and helpful!

being able to walk to MK is another bonus.

on the way back from MK, the Contemp is the first stop.

I agree BLT doesnt have all the atomsphere as some of the others, but that is okay... we love it!!

also , I love the gift shops at CR. :) and did I mention the yummy danish for breakfast

We stayed at BLT several times and also thought there were lots of bugs (May & June stays). We like the the SSR pools better, but BLT is a great location - esp if Epcot and MK are the only parks you plan on going to.

BLT has been great for us. We have stayed there five times, with number six coming up next month. Our rooms have always been spotless, and all the CMs have been wonderful, especially the staff at TOTW. Being able to walk home from MK is terrific. So sorry earlier poster had such a bad time! Our experiences have always been super positive there. So, obviously, BLT would be my choice hands down. Have a good trip!

BLT does have atmosphere - Mickey Mouse is all over the place. it is what it should be.

the ride to Epcot is pretty short - TTC is the next stop - so you transfer here - how long it takes depends upon you -
if the parks are crowded then take their exit to Epcot - if not then go out the regular exit and go to the far right to the Epcot monrail.

it can take 10 minutes to 30 minutes just depends upon how fast the controller is alllowing the monrail to go. probably somewhere inbetween.

now coming back is more difficult - not the epcot part it is the same - but getting back to CR/BLT - you have to ride around the entire monrail - after TTC, is Polyn, then GF, then MK and finally CR/BLT. so you can add 15 to 30 minutes - depends upon how many people are getting on and off at each stop.

expect a longer wait at GF - don't know why - but the monrail sits here longer than it does at the MK. (at least it has for the last 3 times I was on it)

the pool at BLT is tiny. sometimes like the one at CR better - it is bigger and sometimes alot less crowded.

that say think your kids would prefer BLT.

for other reason - well love to visit Polyn - and it is just a ride away on the monrail - you can pool hop to Polyn and GF if you want too

Since you are really interested in only the MK and EPCOT, BLT makes perfect sense. We just stayed there in June for the first time and simply loved it. The location cannot be beat. Although it does lack in "themeing" so to speak the rooms are done well in a Contemporary/Modern style. Although not my particular style, I did enjoy the atomosphere for our vacation. The Contempo Cafe is just a short walk in the CR and is great for snacks and a quick bite. The BLT pool is nice, small but attractive. As pp said you can use the CR pool as well. We did both on our trip and it was nice to change it up a bit. Both pools will offer games and activites for the kids. The Community Hall is very nice and has fun things for the kids too. Sammy Duvall's is right there at the CR too. Very convienient if you have any down time and would like to rent sea raycers or do another water sport activity.

Although I can see the draw to THV we are staying for the first time in November and are thrilled to try them out. They really do look amazing, I think for this visit BLT might work better for you.

Either way, I am sure you will have a wonderful trip! Enjoy! :thumbsup2

Have you ever thought of doing a split stay? That way you get to experience both resorts, and will know for next time what one you like better. During our last trip we did a split stay between BLT and BWV, and next month we will be doing BCV and BLT. Our first split stay was last summer at AKL and BLT. I know some people don't like the idea of having to pack part way through their trip, but we don't mind packing at the midway point. It gives us so something else to look forward to during our vacations. On our last trip we had a 2 year old and 4 month old, so a lot more gear to pack, but we really enjoyed trying a new place. We love our home resort (BLT) so we always want to be there for at least part of our trip.

Good luck with your decision. I am sure you will be happy wherever you decide to stay.

We just returned Monday night from a 2 week stay in a 1-bedroom at BLT. There were 5 of us...myself, my wife, our 1-year old son and my parents; plenty of room and space. The best part of the resort is the location. You just can't beat a 10 minute walk to the Magic Kingdom. My son loved Magic so much, we visited the park everyday, had we stayed anywhere else this wouldn't have been the case. The walk to, and the ride on the Monorail itself to EPCOT took maybe 15-20 minutes. We loved the Top of the World Lounge and the view provided by the hotel. The only negatives of BLT from our perspective were 1)the room showed significant wear and tear on the furniture (stains on couches and chairs, furniture chipped) and 2) although it is a stunning hotel, we too missed the charm that we found at other resorts (Boardwalk, Beach Club and Saratoga). Liked BLT, but only loved it's location...just my two cents.:)

We stayed at BLT in Feb and wasn't sure we wanted to stay there but ended up loving it! Our room (1br) was awesome with lake view plenty big enough for the four of us. We loved the top of the world lounge. Thought the cast members were very nice. Loved being on the monorails and thought the buses were good as well. Loved being close to CM & CG. Thought the pool was fun. Even though AKV is our fave we would stay there again.

We are not big fans of SSR - just our opinion. The buses were the worst on property so THV might not be a choice for us since we don't like to rent a car.

BLT does have atmosphere - Mickey Mouse is all over the place. it is what it should be.

the ride to Epcot is pretty short - TTC is the next stop - so you transfer here - how long it takes depends upon you -
if the parks are crowded then take their exit to Epcot - if not then go out the regular exit and go to the far right to the Epcot monrail.

it can take 10 minutes to 30 minutes just depends upon how fast the controller is alllowing the monrail to go. probably somewhere inbetween.

now coming back is more difficult - not the epcot part it is the same - but getting back to CR/BLT - you have to ride around the entire monrail - after TTC, is Polyn, then GF, then MK and finally CR/BLT. so you can add 15 to 30 minutes - depends upon how many people are getting on and off at each stop.

expect a longer wait at GF - don't know why - but the monrail sits here longer than it does at the MK. (at least it has for the last 3 times I was on it)

the pool at BLT is tiny. sometimes like the one at CR better - it is bigger and sometimes alot less crowded.

that say think your kids would prefer BLT.

for other reason - well love to visit Polyn - and it is just a ride away on the monrail - you can pool hop to Polyn and GF if you want too

Do they switch around the direction the monorail runs ? We stayed at BLT in May and we went to Poly & GF first before getting to the TTC. On the way back it was a straight shot (under 3 minutes) back to CR.

Chris

Do they switch around the direction the monorail runs ? We stayed at BLT in May and we went to Poly & GF first before getting to the TTC. On the way back it was a straight shot (under 3 minutes) back to CR.

Chris

The resort monorail always go in the same direction--CR, TTC, Poly, GF, and then MK.

The resort monorail always go in the same direction--CR, TTC, Poly, GF, and then MK.

Got my stops mixed up, but what I was trying to say was that we had "stops" on the way to MK and that CR was the first stop returning from MK, which seemed the opposite of what Spicey was saying.

Thanks,

Chris

Got my stops mixed up, but what I was trying to say was that we had "stops" on the way to MK and that CR was the first stop returning from MK, which seemed the opposite of what Spicey was saying.

Thanks,

Chris

Got it! Yes, CR is the first stop from MK. Makes it nice when you are leaving.

We gave up on the Epcot monorail and drove. SO much faster. But, an alternative (but more transferring) is to take the express to MK and either walk to BLT or get the resort to CR.

We gave up on the Epcot monorail and drove. SO much faster. But, an alternative (but more transferring) is to take the express to MK and either walk to BLT or get the resort to CR.

Could you clarify? I don't know what the express is -- a bus? :confused3 Or a special monorail? Also, could you explain about the need for more transferring with the express?

:) Thanks!

Thanks everyone who responded! It was very helpful. I knew I'd get a mixture of pros and cons, but really appreciated the details for why -- I'm sure every family has a different reaction to different kinds of conditions.

I'm so happy I asked, too, because I would not have thought about considering the TOTW lounge (I hope I got that name right) or recognizing (although this is completely obvious now) that I should add to the pros list the offerings of the contemporary. Having never stayed there (or seen it yet), I guess the presence of the contemporary with the BLT was not "real" by reading the DVC booklet.

Even those who had negative experiences were very helpful -- because it helps me prepare to put my experiences somewhat in relation or context. (That is, approaching a CM to use the elevator to the lounge with the understanding that sometimes they are not very helpful or welcoming will enable me to not be angered or surprised when we're treated that way and allows for happiness if that particular CM is not present that day!)

Thanks again! DIS rocks! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter