Questions about August and TGM/TP

TukityTukers

Earning My Ears
I'm planning my first ever trip during the summer season for next year, starting on August 19 when free dining kicks in. I'm from San Francisco ("the coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco") and have very very little tolerance for heat. 75F is hot for me! :scared1: Fortunately, DH HATES doing Disney commando style, so having super long afternoon breaks will make him happy and keep me from melting into nothingness. My first question is.. here's my plan, is it a good one or a really bad idea? :confused:

I've always avoided extra magic hours, but this time, we'd like to do the ones with the extra magic morning hours. We'd get there early for opening, do attractions til 11, have lunch, and then take our break. Many many many hours later, we'd spend a few hours in a park at night. But the idea is to get in an extra hour in parks before the day gets to it's hottest point. Will the crowds be unbearable?

Also, I was wanting to get Tour Guide Mike or Touring Plans. I've used the former, not the latter, and I remember him saying to avoid EMH parks.. so with my plan, would it be pointless to get his guide or does he help those who choose to tour that way? What about Touring Plans? Also, do either cover Universal Studios? We'll be adding a couple days for that.

The guidebooks and websites recommend against going on EMH days, because those parks get so crowded. You can get more done on a non-EMH day than you can on an EMH day, assuming you don't park hop.

If you park hop, then an EMH morning can be very productive, provided you hop to a different, less crowded park later.

As to the question about TGM and touringplans... you get so much more than just advice about whether to visit on an EMH day or not. It's well worth it whichever one you pick. I think touringplans.com offers the widest variety of benefits and it has the lowest subscription cost too.

David

The guidebooks and websites recommend against going on EMH days, because those parks get so crowded. You can get more done on a non-EMH day than you can on an EMH day, assuming you don't park hop.

If you park hop, then an EMH morning can be very productive, provided you hop to a different, less crowded park later.

As to the question about TGM and touringplans... you get so much more than just advice about whether to visit on an EMH day or not. It's well worth it whichever one you pick. I think touringplans.com offers the widest variety of benefits and it has the lowest subscription cost too.

David

Agree completely.

The heat will be bad it always is in August so I think your plan is pretty good you will definately need to be out of the parks by noon when it gets the hottest. But keep in mind at WDW alot of the attractions and thier lines are in the nice cold air conditioned inside, so it may not be as brutal as you think, its just walking from attraction to attraction is the hottest park and AK does not have many cool spots.

Thanks for the replies! We'll have 2 days per park and I'm only planning to hit my favorites, so I think I'll be okay with the heat. Or as okay as I'll ever be. We're upgrading our dining plan so we can do mostly TS restaurants, since the idea of eating in a/c for a good amount of time is appealing to me, plus the restaurants are what sold DH last trip. :wizard:

It is not super crowded in late August --- That's why they offer the free dining. The parks won't be empty, but shouldn't compare to the big July crowds either.

It will still be extremely hot that time of year --- So it's a good plan to start in the early morning, and take a long break during the high heat mid afternoon.

The "professionals" advise against the EMH parks for some reasons that may not apply to you -- First off, the advice is generic and is intended also for people who are not staying in the resort. If you're not staying in the resort, then you are at a disadvantage going to the EMH park. The advice also assumes many people would have difficulty getting up and getting to the EMH park on time. And finally, if you don't have park hoppers, the EMH park may have above-average crowds later in the day.
*IF* you qualify for EMH, and *IF* you get to the park before ropedrop, I think most of the experts would agree that EMH does have value.

I prefer touringplans to TGM. Their suggested plans are not specifically designed for morning EMH, but they advise that their plans typically work well for morning EMH as already designed.

Holey Moley - if 75 is too hot for you.....(right there with you - i like 40's and 50's) then you are going to have one HE double hockey sticks of a week. (Sorry to be so harsh - just be prepared)

Your absolute best option is doing morning (until about 10:00 or 11:00) and evening (dusk to park close) EMH and hanging out by the pool in the afternoon. (or in an air conditioned room with the shades drawn......) DH and I HATE the heat and summer weather in Florida is our most hated enemy....:rotfl:

You can do it - just plan on afternoons NOT being in the parks. San Fran doesnt have the humidity like you will experience either......heat plus humidity is even worse....

I'm planning my first ever trip during the summer season for next year, starting on August 19 when free dining kicks in. I'm from San Francisco ("the coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco") and have very very little tolerance for heat. 75F is hot for me!
I have two words for you: "January" and "February".

Seriously. There are several weeks in each of those months that also offer "free" dining, it's value season, and the weather will be *much* more to your liking.

Unless you're willing to do what they tell you, there's not much point in buying any of the planning advice services.

Is this your "first trip ever" or your "first trip ever in the summer"? Because if its your first ever, then based upon my own experience, the planning advice is invaluable. Its probably not necessary for a seasoned WDW vet, but for a newbie, its incredibly helpful!!

For this trip, I purchased touring plans and TGM and I have to say that touring plans is much more helpful...but I'd also recommend getting the unofficial guide book as well. The two combined have been my most used resource. TGM's information is outdated and their customer service is non-existent.

I agree with others. If your plan is to do EMH and take a long break in the afternoon, then you can forego the advice to avoid that particular park that day. The main reason it seems to be a park to avoid is for reasons stated earlier...but if you're done on the attractions by noon and don't come back until late afternoon, from what I've read you'll be fine. Touring plans also has a per park crowd calendar and that will be much more helpful for you in determining your plans.

Good luck and have fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter