Questions about Attractions

Legaleen

Earning My Ears
Hey everyone! Well, I was accepted for Fall Advantage 2011 in attractions and am so excited, however, I have a few questions I’d like to ask so if you know the answers please let me know!

So, I know with attractions it obviously include rides and shows, but I have also seen that it includes the walking trails at Animal Kingdom. So, I suppose my first question is… what exactly does working those walking trails entail? My second question kind of stems from that. Are there any other side items like the walking trails that an Attractions cast members are responsible for? I’m just curious as to what I can do and what, if anything, I want to request. Thanks for any answers!

Hey everyone! Well, I was accepted for Fall Advantage 2011 in attractions and am so excited, however, I have a few questions I’d like to ask so if you know the answers please let me know!

So, I know with attractions it obviously include rides and shows, but I have also seen that it includes the walking trails at Animal Kingdom. So, I suppose my first question is… what exactly does working those walking trails entail? My second question kind of stems from that. Are there any other side items like the walking trails that an Attractions cast members are responsible for? I’m just curious as to what I can do and what, if anything, I want to request. Thanks for any answers!

Yes attractions could be anything. The walking trails in Animal kingdom you have to learn about the animals around the park and they give you a whole speil to memorize. Make it your own. Attractions could be checking heights at the waiting line, seating passengers on the ride, running the wait times, etc. Also If you get Kilamanjaro Safari in Animal Kingdom you actually do drive the trucks. You have to be able to memorize all the animals and the action of the ride...while driving. They take you out on the back parkinglot to learn how to drive the trucks. There are a bunch of roles like that

PP is right. The walking trails are just you standing in an area, giving out appropriate facts and talking to guests as they approach. And attractions encompasses every part of a ride (minus merchandise at the end). You'll be rotated around, so you won't have the same position all year or even all day, but within the day you can be the one loading/dispatching the ride, checking heights, driving/spieling, etc.

Thanks for the answers about the walking trails! I suppose that's what I had in mind but also wanted to make sure I got my facts straight.

As for the other part of my question, I was more asking, are there other attractions that one would not realize fall under "rides or shows" at first glance, like the walking trails. I know what attractions entails, I've only watched the video, read the role checklist, read blogs and watched vlogs about the whole thing lol but I never thought about walking trails when the sebject came up until I saw someone talk about it. Are there other work locations like that, as my original question actually asked.

Thanks for your time!

Well, all of Rafiki's Planet Watch is attractions (minus the actual animal programs, of course), which includes the train. The playgrounds are attractions as well. I think everything that could be a potential work area is listed on the official disney site when you look up their attractions (including things like the cretaceous trail in DAK, haha!). Main Street Ops is also attractions, which is stuff like the trolley. And pretty much if you work attractions, you'll most likely be trained to work parades now.

Attractions also includes Disney Quest at Downtown Disney! And I've heard of some people getting attractions at Wide World of Sports...which I think involves taking tickets and seating people at events.

Oh, and another tidbit is that there are some attractions that no one actually works...For instance when I worked in Fantasyland attractions I worked Dumbo and Mickey's Philharmagic, but I also was technically responsible for Ariel's Grotto. We never went over to the grotto but to occasionally sweep and to close it down. I guess the character attendants took care of the area mostly :confused3 I have a friend that works at the tiki room and aladdin's carpets and he also works the Swiss Family Robinson treehouse but said that they never actually go over there, unless it's super busy in the park and they need a greeter. Otherwise it just runs itself.

Usually if you have one of those smaller attractions you'll work a few others too. I have a friend that worked the boneyard playground at Animal Kingdom as well as the Finding Nemo musical. And if you work at Dumbo you also work Mickey's Philharmagic (and I think the carousel now too). There are a lot of attractions like that. The major attractions (like Tower of Terror, Great Movie Ride, Toy Story Mania, etc) you just work that one ride though. I think the nature trails are by themselves too. One of my friends worked there and he spent his day rotating between the different animal enclosures and would spiel to guests and answer questions. He'd also get assigned to stroller parking for safaris sometimes too.

The way attractions works is that you have the theatres (ie, Idol, Indiana Jones, Beauty and the Beast, Lion King, Nemo, etc), and then the rides (Tower, Coaster, Thunder, etc).
Depending on your area, you will most likely only be trained on one specific place (MK is the biggest exception to that rule).

I know a lot about DHS attractions, so here's all the info I know.

There are 3 areas in DHS... Icon, Sunset, and Backlands

Icon contains GMR, American Idol, Indiana Jones (or as we call it, Epic), Sounds Dangerous, Muppets, Star Tours, and Jedi Training Academy. Idol and Sounds Dangerous are paired together, so if you are trained at both. ST and JTA used to be together, but once ST reopens, it will be its own thing. Everyone (except muppets I believe) are parade trained too, and help out with parade control with the Pixar Play Parade.

Sunset is Coaster, Tower, Beauty and the Beast, and parade control (Fantasmic, Disney Channel Rocks, and Pixar Play Parade). EVERYONE who works Sunset is trained on parade control and can get scheduled for parade shifts.

Backlands has the rest... Toy Story, Lights Motors Action, Backlot, Honey! playground, Narnia, One Man's Dream, Animation, Little Mermaid, and Disney Junior Live
Narnia/One Man's Dream are paired together, as are Little Mermaid/Disney Junior Live. I know for Christmastime, Backlands helps with crowd control for Osbourne Lights, so you may get scheduled for those shifts.

Also Now a lot of recreational stuff is considered attractions!! I got put into main enterance ops at typhoon lagoon and i am in attractions.. Mini Golf is also considered an attraction also

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter