Questions about AP room discount

cheesemouse

DIS Veteran
Hi - I'm considering getting an AP for 2014. A couple of questions about the AP room discounts.

1) Are they always available or is it more like the general public promotions and come out just a few months in advance? i.e. could I book a 2014 now with an AP discount?

2) Anyone know what the typical AP discounts are for value, mod, and deluxe/villa? I wasn't sure if it was a flat discount or varies by resort tier or even by time of year.

3) Do I have to have the actual AP in hand to get the room discount when booking or is the voucher good enough? I'd order the voucher now but not travel until Jan 2014 and Mar 2014 and obviously wouldn't be able to convert the voucher until I arrive in Jan 2014.

Thanks!

1. I recently booked an AP room and the dates only went into June so no you can't book an AP room for 2014 yet.

2. With the current promotion the AP savings was another 5% above the Spring Promotion as far as I could tell.

3. You can book an AP discount room without having the AP yet, but you need it when you check in.

HTH

You can book an AP discount room without having the AP yet, but you need it when you check in.

Technically, you can check in without the AP in hand and they will give you a 24 hour grace period to come back and show it. This allows folks who are getting their APs after arrival to check in without losing their discount. DW and I have done this twice on separate visits. I've heard from others on this board that the CM at check-in never even asked for the AP, so YMMV.

Hi - I'm considering getting an AP for 2014. A couple of questions about the AP room discounts.

1) Are they always available or is it more like the general public promotions and come out just a few months in advance? i.e. could I book a 2014 now with an AP discount?

2) Anyone know what the typical AP discounts are for value, mod, and deluxe/villa? I wasn't sure if it was a flat discount or varies by resort tier or even by time of year.

3) Do I have to have the actual AP in hand to get the room discount when booking or is the voucher good enough? I'd order the voucher now but not travel until Jan 2014 and Mar 2014 and obviously wouldn't be able to convert the voucher until I arrive in Jan 2014.

Thanks!

1) yes, they only come out at certain times.

2) discount varies with season, but usually 5% more then GP rate but not always lately.

3) one trip I didn't have my AP at check in, just a voucher (which I had packed cleverly :rolleyes: in my luggage) and was just told that when I got the AP to come back to the desk and show it. We were heading to DTD that evening and got my AP, wasn't a problem.

Every time we've used our AP's we've had to show them. This time I only had my voucher with my receipt from AAA & they used that, but I've never had a CM "not" ask to see my AP if that's how I've booked my room.

The AP discounts come out last or at least it feels like it... currently they only go through June but the current promo ends on the 31st of this month so we will see what is next! They only offer certain categories in certain resorts and only so many, so sometimes only king room will be available, or higher categories. For my dates at the end of May, the Little Mermaid rooms are not offered even though there are still some available to the general public for example.

AP discounts are great when they are available, but for some of our trips there was no AP discount offered. Just a heads-up so you know that it's not something that you can count on.

You might want to wait to see what discounts are offered for Jan. sometimes Disney offers a special deal tha requires you to purchase tickets to qualify. If you got that type of deal you could then upgrade those tickets to APs.

However there have been rumors that Disney might increase ticket prices sooner than normal this year so you might want to buy tickets now before prices go up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter