Questions about ABD California Backstage Magic

I'm curious, how much ride time do you feel you generally have gotten on this ABD?

I've been to Disneyland many times, but my travelling companion has not (though she is a frequent WDW visitor)...so I hope we will still have time to do all the rides she has never gotten to before!
During the guided portion of your trip at DL/DCA you'll actually only get on a few attractions. However, during the on your own time you will have fast passes (5 each) that will go a long way towards allowing you to cover all the attractions you want to see.

I'm curious, how much ride time do you feel you generally have gotten on this ABD?

I've been to Disneyland many times, but my travelling companion has not (though she is a frequent WDW visitor)...so I hope we will still have time to do all the rides she has never gotten to before!

We had a couple hours the evening we arrived plus the full evening from about 5pm on on the full Disneyland Day. We had about 5 hours in the afternoon at California Adventure because we opted to not do the optional activities that afternoon and opted for the rides instead. We then got a few hours that evening to hit whatever park we wanted.

Fastpass attractions are limited, not like at DW. There are only about 5 - 6 attractions that are fastpass at each park and the fastpasses ABD gives you cannot be used on Matterhorn or on Radiator Springs Racers (you will get 1 free fastpass for this attraction).

we are huge WDW fans and I had concerns about this as well for our ABD trip. Reality is though not many rides have fast passes and they were the rides I was most interested in (non fast pass rides I felt were different from Disney). So my having fast passes for Soarin, toy story, big thunder etc really not too exciting for me since I have ridden them so many times at WDW. Fantasyland for example is very different at DL than WDW and no fast passes available. We had best luck doing this late in the evening after Fantasmic etc. No problems doing the rides then otherwise lines were long. We tagged on an extra day at the end to use that 4th ticket day and honestly didnt' ride that much. Between our late night riding and stuff on the tour, we got our fill....

we are huge WDW fans and I had concerns about this as well for our ABD trip. Reality is though not many rides have fast passes and they were the rides I was most interested in (non fast pass rides I felt were different from Disney). So my having fast passes for Soarin, toy story, big thunder etc really not too exciting for me since I have ridden them so many times at WDW. Fantasyland for example is very different at DL than WDW and no fast passes available. We had best luck doing this late in the evening after Fantasmic etc. No problems doing the rides then otherwise lines were long. We tagged on an extra day at the end to use that 4th ticket day and honestly didnt' ride that much. Between our late night riding and stuff on the tour, we got our fill....

*nods* that's good to know! We are going in January, so I've been worried about the parks closing early. We are staying an extra day though, so we should still get the chance to see some stuff that day! :)

We are going in January, so I've been worried about the parks closing early.
The counterpoint to this is that the crowd levels are lower so you have shorter lines and can do more in the same amount of time.

We had a couple hours the evening we arrived plus the full evening from about 5pm on on the full Disneyland Day. We had about 5 hours in the afternoon at California Adventure because we opted to not do the optional activities that afternoon and opted for the rides instead. We then got a few hours that evening to hit whatever park we wanted.
What were the optional activities?

The counterpoint to this is that the crowd levels are lower so you have shorter lines and can do more in the same amount of time.

That is my hope!! I've only ever been to DL (or LA in general) in the summer, but with the weather always nice it's hard to judge crowd levels! Heh.

What were the optional activities?

We liked the Ghiridelli Ice Cream Social followed by Inside Out Movie....I think the Hollywood leg of the trip had the more flexible optional surprises -the DL ones were rather predictable - parades, shows, etc. but loved them as well. We did all optionals except for afternoon parade.

We liked the Ghiridelli Ice Cream Social followed by Inside Out Movie....I think the Hollywood leg of the trip had the more flexible optional surprises -the DL ones were rather predictable - parades, shows, etc. but loved them as well. We did all optionals except for afternoon parade.

Unfortunately the theater is closed during most of our Hollywood time, so it all depends on when you go, I think.

Unfortunately the theater is closed during most of our Hollywood time, so it all depends on when you go, I think.
Seriously???? El Capitian is closed when you are there? I am so sorry...that was one of the highlights of our trip, not sure why but we loved it. I will assume you will go to the other one, name escapes me - Grumans? something like that

Oh man, it didn't even occur to me as a possibility! Though Star Wars comes out 3 or 4 weeks before ours, so I'm hoping that keeps it on the radar!

I've done the Chinese theatre tour before though and it is *really* cool! The Kodak I would probably skip tho.

Seriously???? El Capitian is closed when you are there? I am so sorry...that was one of the highlights of our trip, not sure why but we loved it. I will assume you will go to the other one, name escapes me - Grumans? something like that

I would suggest checking the schedule for anyone not booking during the summer months! Our trip starts October 11, and it is open only on Sunday October 11 during our Hollywood time, and we only do dinner that night. The next day it is open is Oct 15, we will be in DL. https://elcapitantheatre.com. I did not expect it to be closed, but they are not showing anything on the schedule when we are there.

They are showing Aladdin till October 4 then closed till October 8-11 for Hocus Pocus. Their next open day is Oct 15, showing The Black Caldron till the 18th. I was thinking of getting tickets before the tour starts but I doubt I can convince my hubby to sit through Hocus Pocus...lol!

Also, some of the in-park things could change, so don't read too many spoilers...we probably won't see fantasmic because it is not on the DL schedule for our park day...it is a Halloween Party night, in fact it is only showing once during our stay, which is on the CA night. Also because of the Halloween party, the in-park Disneyland dining might be at the hotel instead, it all depends on the schedule.

We might get other "surprises" or do different things because of he schedules. Hubby is really looking forward to Henson Studios, so if that was closed, we would not be going on the trip! He is a big Muppets fan...and yes I am looking forward to that too. I had fond memories of being allowed to stay up to watch the muppets!

Since we have not seen the theater I guess we won't know what we are missing!

Oh man, it didn't even occur to me as a possibility! Though Star Wars comes out 3 or 4 weeks before ours, so I'm hoping that keeps it on the radar!

I've done the Chinese theatre tour before though and it is *really* cool! The Kodak I would probably skip tho.

The theater has a schedule out through Nov...

https://elcapitantheatre.com

It seems it is open most of nov so keep checking their coming soon info.

When we were there in July, Levi (the gentleman who gives the tour at Graumans / TCL) told us that the Star Wars premier will be the largest ever.

It will be at three haters. TCL / Graumans, El Capitan and I believe he said the Egyptian Theater (down Hollywood Blvd) a couple of blocks.

When we were there in July, Levi (the gentleman who gives the tour at Graumans / TCL) told us that the Star Wars premier will be the largest ever.

It will be at three haters. TCL / Graumans, El Capitan and I believe he said the Egyptian Theater (down Hollywood Blvd) a couple of blocks.

I bet!!! When we were choosing dates we *almost* tried to squeeze in on the Dec DIS trip...exclusively because the premiere would be happening that week! Heh

Is the theater within walking distance of the Loews?

Can anyone advise if it is worth staying 2 nights pre-ABD in Beverly Hills? Or are we better off at the Loews?

What are you planning to do during your pre-stay? Are you interested in only Beverly Hills, or did you want to see other places as well?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter