Question regarding strong sense of smell?

Evi

DIS Veteran
I know this isn't a disability but it its more of a medical question that I'm wondering if anyone else has ever experienced. I have many allergies and asthma and find that my entire life I've had an exceptionaly strong sense of smell. Its to the point that I can smell things long before other people I'm with will notice the smell. Like we could be in a car with windows down and I'll catch the smell of something burning up to 5 minutes before anyone else can feel it. Its really driving me insane because I smell things I don't want to smell. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this?? Any advice on what to do? I really feel like its becoming to much. Some smells are so strong I feel like I have to leave where I am to get away from them.

Thanks all

Have you tried putting a scent under your nose that you like to off set other smells? Something like lavender, or orange?

I have asthma and am very sensitive to odors. I have had to leave restaurants because of people wearing too much perfume / cologne. I also will have an asthma attack from cigars and cigarettes plus lots of cleaners and almost anything with a strong smell. I carry a cloth mask and put it on when I need it. I use a Cold Weather Mask that I bought because of the effect cold air has on my asthma. I admit it does look funny wearing a mask but it's much better then having to leave all the time

This may sound really stupid, but have you had your hormone levels checked?

I know that when I was pregnant, my sense of smell was really keen, and I've heard of others with the same issue, so maybe it has something to do with hormones?

It is very bothersome though. I feel for you!

My pulmonologist and allergist have both said that it is very normal for people with asthma to be extremely sensitive to smells. Most people are also extremely sensitive to smells that they are allergic to.

Like for me, peanuts and eggs.

I am extremely allergic to peanuts. As I became more allergic to peanuts, the more sensitive I became to the smell. I can tell you if someone has anything with peanuts in it even across the room.

Same with eggs. I haven't had eggs in about 3 1/2 years. I was not allergic to them before. But now I am extremely sensitive to the smell. My allergist said that in this type of situation its kind of like a defense mechanism. Your body notices it and makes you aware that there is something around that you are not supposed to be near.

But for asthma, I can't be near cologne, perfume, smoke, cleaners, etc. The cologne, perfume and smoke are a real challenge being in college. I also start wheezing in the cold weather.

Yup, that's me. My sense of smell was so 'developed' that I couldn't go into a store without being overwhelmed by all the smells. I would smell the people (their cologne, soap hair products), the items being sold (food, soap, etc.) even the HVAC-mold, dust etc. It got so bad I wouldn't leave the house unless absolutely necessary. I saw every 'ist there was (Allergist, etc.) no one could help me... I was diagnosed with a couple of seasonal allergies, no big deal, and that I had MCS, Multiple Chemical Sensitivity. Great. Sooooo....I went on a very strict diet (no processed anything, no non organic meat, only chicken, fish, no dairy, etc.) I had already gotten rid of all the cleaners etc, only used natural products. I felt like I was cleaning myself out, getting rid of all the stuff that had built up and made me overly sensitive. I lost 30 pounds :banana: and reduced my sensitivity. I can now go places without freaking out, I still get headaches, not as bad. My sense of smell is still really strong, but I can deal with it.
Good luck:thumbsup2

I am a super taster and also have an incredibly strong sense of smell. When I know I will be going somewhere that will be overwhelming--like walking through the perfume display at the mall, I will put a lightly flavored mint in my mouth.

It works great!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter