• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Question regarding Castaway Club membership

accio

Mouseketeer
Hi guys,

I have a quick question regarding Castaway Club membership.

So, for our first family cruise on the Wonder in April 2015, my sister made the booking for our six member party, with three to each stateroom. (Mother, myself, nephew in one stateroom, sister, BIL, niece in other.) She has done the same for our upcoming cruise on the Magic next March. However, I noticed that only one (silver) Castaway Club membership card was mailed, specifically to my sister. My mother did receive a package for our upcoming cruise from the travel agency, along with a welcome letter from Disney, but no Castaway Club membership card. Is my mother considered a member as well?

Thanks ahead in advance!

Hi guys,

I have a quick question regarding Castaway Club membership.

So, for our first family cruise on the Wonder in April 2015, my sister made the booking for our six member party, with three to each stateroom. (Mother, myself, nephew in one stateroom, sister, BIL, niece in other.) She has done the same for our upcoming cruise on the Magic next March. However, I noticed that only one (silver) Castaway Club membership card was mailed, specifically to my sister. My mother did receive a package for our upcoming cruise from the travel agency, along with a welcome letter from Disney, but no Castaway Club membership card. Is my mother considered a member as well?

Thanks ahead in advance!

Everyone who was on that first cruise is now a Silver Castaway Club member. Getting the actual membership card is sorta hit or miss. Not everyone seems to be getting them.

You can look up membership numbers (if you're interested) on the Castaway Club section of the DCL website. Also, if you kept the KTTW cards you got on that first cruise, your number is on there.

Last edited:
Thank you so much, and, yes, I did keep my Key to the World card after our first cruise :D Can we request our silver membership card from Disney?

But remember it is only one gift per stateroom even though you are all silver in the room.

Thank you so much, and, yes, I did keep my Key to the World card after our first cruise :D Can we request our silver membership card from Disney?

You certainly may request it (from the Castaway Club), don't know if they'll do it or not, but I don't see why not.

You don't (well, she doesn't) really need it for anything. Since DCL already has the number on file, and anytime someone who is already in the Castaway Club books anything, the information will be on the reservation as to level of membership.

But remember it is only one gift per stateroom even though you are all silver in the room.

We have two staterooms. I think my sister received something in the mail from Disney, we definitely haven't received anything.

Thanks for the heads-up.

We have two staterooms. I think my sister received something in the mail from Disney, we definitely haven't received anything.

Thanks for the heads-up.

They mean a gift in the stateroom on the next cruise. A tote bag, generally.

You don't need a member card. We don't have a card. Doesn't matter. You don't need it for anything.

They mean a gift in the stateroom on the next cruise. A tote bag, generally.

You don't need a member card. We don't have a card. Doesn't matter. You don't need it for anything.

Thanks for the clarification. Will we each get a (silver) lanyard upon check-in?

Thanks for the clarification. Will we each get a (silver) lanyard upon check-in?

Everyone who has cruised before with DCL will. Anyone who has not will not get the lanyard (or should not).

Well, unless it has changed. When we did our family cruise, it was my and my parents' first DCL cruise but my sister was Silver. She got a lanyard, and the cabin got the Silver gift - but my parents and I did not get lanyards.

Everyone who has cruised before with DCL will. Anyone who has not will not get the lanyard (or should not).

Well, unless it has changed. When we did our family cruise, it was my and my parents' first DCL cruise but my sister was Silver. She got a lanyard, and the cabin got the Silver gift - but my parents and I did not get lanyards.

is there a first timers lanyard? LOL.. i guess we get stiffed :upsidedow

I'd like to know this, too. If people have been getting them lately, do they come with a pouch to hold your KTTW card? Do all stateroom guests get a lanyard, or only one?

I'd like to know this, too. If people have been getting them lately, do they come with a pouch to hold your KTTW card? Do all stateroom guests get a lanyard, or only one?

In the past they have come with a pouch. Everyone who is a CC member gets one.

.... I still use that one actually as I like it better and it's sturdier than the free ones.

Exactly.

IMO the lanyards DCL gives away are stiff, not soft and supple, like others available outside DCL.

We found DCL lanyards at the Dollar Store prior to our first DCL sailing almost a decade ago, and still use them.
They are super soft and suffice. Each of us, four pax, have a different design/color. So I works for us.

DCL lanyards are not as soft as others found elsewhere, IMO.
They will irritate your neck.

ETA; We purchased liners/pockets online that satisfied our requirements.

Good Luck to all

Exactly.

IMO the lanyards DCL gives away are stiff, not soft and supple, like others available outside DCL.

We found DCL lanyards at the Dollar Store prior to our first DCL sailing almost a decade ago, and still use them.
They are super soft and suffice. Each of us, four pax, have a different design/color. So I works for us.

Good Luck to all
The ones we got on our last cruise were new, different than what we've gotten before. They were much nicer.

Exactly.

They will irritate your neck.

ETA; We purchased liners/pockets online that satisfied our requirements.

Good Luck to all

The ones we got last week are much more silky, soft and pliable than previous ones.

Every person in your cabin who is a CC member will get a lanyard at check in. if you have 4 people in your cabin who have cruised before, all 4 will get one at check in. If you have 4 people but only 1 is a returning cruiser then just that 1 person will get a lanyard.

MJ

We accept the lanyards as we checkin, pay no attention to the composition, then eventually give them away to pax in need if possible.

No DCL offered lanyard has ever been as soft as the ones we found at the Dollar Store. :sad2:

We will stick with our cheapo lanyards, as they are soft and supple and we know the colors/patterns assigned to each pax over the years. We have used them on all/many sailings. Why change now. lol

JMO

The ones we got last week are much more silky, soft and pliable than previous ones. ...

I hope this is true. Because the past ones were scratchy.

We have received clear pouches for the KTTW about 1/2 the time included with the lanyard delivery.

I'm wondering if pouches are always available, Perhaps you have to ask.
Even for CL, pouches have not been offered at times. IRRC 50% of the time.

For those interested, and not offered a lanyard/pocket upon checkin, ask.
Odds are if you ask you will be offered something. JMO.

We bring our own, because each pax prefers a different style.

:)

Last edited:
Can we request our silver membership card from Disney?
I just clicked on this - the card doesn't specify "silver" or gold or platinum. It's just a membership card (credit card sized).

I had a thought are you talking about the Silver magnet that you should get for reaching silver level? Like this:

dcl-disney-cruise-line-castaway-club-silver-magnet-868be796b7fb8f2a0a7052c8bc980cc8.jpg

Everyone should have gotten one of those.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter