Question regarding 2013 reservations!

Baby Pluto

Under the Sea
My boyfriend and I are going to WDW January 2013 and I was wondering if it is necessary to make dinner reservations before we go?
Is there any chance we will be able to have dinner at a Disney restaurant without making reservations before we travel?

The answer might be simple and obvious but I've never between to WDW or dined at a Disney restaurant, so I'm still learning the ropes!
Thanks for any insight!

A lot of that depends on where you want to dine and whether Disney offers free dining.

Just assume that if you are interested in a very specific popular place, then you will need to make ADRs.

Wow, I didn't think I'd need to plan my meals so far ahead!
Is it possible to have a dinner at a popular Disney restaurant without
the preplanned reservations? I don't mind having to wait to be seated.

Wow, I didn't think I'd need to plan my meals so far ahead!
Is it possible to have a dinner at a popular Disney restaurant without
the preplanned reservations? I don't mind having to wait to be seated.

At the most popular places (if there isn't free dining going on) there is the slimmest of chances of getting a walk-up table.

At the popular places during free dining, there is almost zero chance of getting in without an ADR.

If you go without ADRs, be prepared to eat at the less-popular TS restaurants, at off-peak hours or at CS restaurants.

If there are any character meals or any meals you want to eat at the more popular restaurants, make ADRs ASAP.

At the most popular places (if there isn't free dining going on) there is the slimmest of chances of getting a walk-up table.

At the popular places during free dining, there is almost zero chance of getting in without an ADR.

If you go without ADRs, be prepared to eat at the less-popular TS restaurants, at off-peak hours or at CS restaurants.

If there are any character meals or any meals you want to eat at the more popular restaurants, make ADRs ASAP.

Thank you SO much. Disney trips are a rarity for me and I have been really excited to try out the different restaurants. I had no idea I needed to make reservations so early lol! You may have just saved us from quite a disappointment!
:yay:

My boyfriend is convinced that reservations before travel are not necessary, and we should be able to have a sit down dinner just by walking up. He also doesn't want to make reservations because we'll have to schedule our day a little more, instead of doing whatever we feel like at the time. Any advice?
Any chance someone might be able to help me convince him reservations
are the better route to take?
:confused3

My boyfriend is convinced that reservations before travel are not necessary, and we should be able to have a sit down dinner just by walking up. He also doesn't want to make reservations because we'll have to schedule our day a little more, instead of doing whatever we feel like at the time. Any advice?

Where does he want to eat?

Do you know where you want to eat? I would look through the menus at AllEars. They have the menus for all the restaurants in the parks, at the resorts and at Downtown Disney. Figure out where you want to eat, post them here and we can figure out how to help you proceed.

What I do when planning my ADRs is I use easywdw.com to plan a rough idea of what parks I want to visit on which days (to avoid the crowds) and then based on where we'll be on that day, decide where I'd like to eat.

Let me know here if you need help or if you want to PM me, that's fine too. :goodvibes

Thanks guys!
We haven't quite figured out where we want to eat specifically,
he doesn't want to do too much planning as far as dining goes.
Perhaps I will post the restaurants here once we pick a few,
or I'll PM you Missy!
Can't believe how helpful everyone is, thanks a bunch!
:thumbsup2

I remember having dinner at Le Cellier in 2011, and while we were waiting near the podium, about 50 came up and were turned away. At other restaurants, walk-ups were being told the wait was 1-2 hours.

You can always CANCEL your ADRs. I found the planning of the ADRs can be stressful doing it so far out, but you make that up when you're seated in 10 minutes or sooner.

Baby Pluto said:

LOL, my bf (now DH) thought that too in 2006. it was my first trip and I had read that they were needed but he had been before and you used to be able to walk up and be seated right away or wait 20-30 mins. Needless to say....we got turned away at numerous places. In May, just the 2 of us! We made adrs with the concierge next morning. Now we book at the 180 day mark!

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

Most restaurants don't require a credit card or anything to hold the reservation, and the few that do don't charge anything unless you don't cancel at least 24 hours in advance and fail to show.

I recommend you pick some places that sound good to you and just make the reservations. When you get down there if you don't feel like using them, do something else, but if you find the other pickings are slim at least you'll have something you can fall back on.

Sort of a 'make reservations months ahead of time as a fall back in case just winging it doesn't work' strategy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter