Question re: Pop Handicap Room

Tinker'n'Fun

Apple peaches pumpkin pie, not ready holler "I"
We are staying a handicap room that my niece (a CM) booked. It is two doubles with grab bars by the toilet. A low toilet.

I usually get a high toilet as this is what I need and grab bars in the shower to hold on or I can't shower.

I called and they CM said they will put a hightop on the toilet and suction grab bars in the shower. I am to say the least, concerned.

Do I need to call back? I have never had a problem before. We usually get two rooms but only need the one since it is just DH, DS, and I. I may get a EVC or wheelchair depending on my pain level at the time.

Can anyone tell me about these rooms? Suction cups for grab bars scare me as my daughter is not coming this time and she usually was the one who would sit and talk in case I had a problem getting in or out.

Thank you to anyone who can help.

IMO would not use suction grab bars anywhere and VERY surprised WDW would even offer such a thing.. sounds very dangerious. there is a law in each state that states how grab bars are to be applied to a wall and studs with in the walls

IMO would not use scuction grab bars anywhere and VERY surprised WDW would even offfer such a thing.. sounds very dangerious. there is a lwa in each state that states how grab bars are to be applied to a wal and studs with in the walls

can't your husband help you?

Yes DH can and will help me if the grab bars are suction. I like to shower at times different from him, but we could make it work.

IMO would not use suction grab bars anywhere and VERY surprised WDW would even offer such a thing.. sounds very dangerous. there is a law in each state that states how grab bars are to be applied to a wall and studs with in the walls

I am worried. Disney rooms are never like this and that is why I was wondering if anyone had heard of them before. I really am having a hard time believing this is what they will do. I will call again tomorrow. The lady was super nice, but that does not always mean she is trained properly in this area.

I thought all the bathrooms at Pop had permanent bars in the showers? Our room had them last August, and it wasn't even an accessible room.

I'm not sure you can get two double beds, but I think I would ask for a handicap room that's equipped with a roll in shower. Then, you will have a built in seat and good grab bars. This shouldn't be hard to change for the reservation.

Also, we have requested a high rise toilet extender in the past and Pop Century has been very good about it. It has it's own grab bars on the sides and you can raise it to a couple of different choices for height. It's really like a bedside commode. I will say it's not always set up in the room automatically; so, we usually emphasize this part when we check in.

Currently, it sounds like you have a room with a tub. I think it would be better if you went with the roll in shower style room.

We have done handicapped rooms at Pop since it was built. Sometimes they have tubs, sometimes roll-in showers. You book what you need, they don't just randomly pick for you. They have bars around the toilets that will help you get up & down easily. They really thought their designs out.

I have NEVER seen suction cup grab bars at Pop - ever! The thought is just horrifying. Please call and check the reservation to be sure what you are getting.

Pop is one of the most cooperative places I know of. They will help you. They are wonderful to their guests! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter