Question Re: How full the ship is

CrusingFamily4

Mouseketeer
Hi!

I've been reading that CruiseFish.net is a useful tool to determine how full a ship is prior to sailing. I am curious if the percentage number that is given is what percentage of the categories is full, or is it what percentage is available. This can make quite the difference! Thanks in advance for helping to clarify.

It's the percentage of categories available. If only one cabin in each category is available then the percentage would be 100%. It has no refection on how full or empty the ship will be.

IMO the percentage given on CF is useless when trying to determine how full the ship is.

IMO the percentage given on CF is useless when trying to determine how full the ship is.

I totally agree. There could be one room left in each category and that would skew the numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

The other thing is that the percentage is on available rooms. Especially on the classics on which large blocks of rooms may be undergoing maint during a cruise and not part of the regular inventory. I ran into an electrician that is on the classics every few months doing major rewiring in cabins. He said they average 15-20 cabins per cruise. Sometimes more. Depends on how many electricians are sent.

Is there any way to know how full/empty a given cruise is? What about post-sail...do they publish those numbers anywhere?

Is there any way to know how full/empty a given cruise is? What about post-sail...do they publish those numbers anywhere?

In our experience, you can get that information during the cruise. Sometimes the CD has mentioned it during one of his pre-show talks. Once, I just asked at Guest Services.

In our experience, you can get that information during the cruise. Sometimes the CD has mentioned it during one of his pre-show talks. Once, I just asked at Guest Services.

Thank you. So you don't think it's documented anywhere? I was trying to research historically which cruises are emptier than others...

I have never seen it published anywhere. Historically any summer or holiday week sailing will be more full. Usually Fall (other than Thanksgiving) and early December, January, parts of February, May are less crowded.

But, if you are worred about crowds...don't be. The ships are designed to sail full and it is not like at the parks where a full park could really slow you down. The ships are not like that.....other than the pool deck on Dream/Fantasy...people complain about it being crowded.

MJ

Those less crowded time of year cruises are when you will see the incredible *GT rates offered. In the past they used KSF. They still sail pretty full and lots of kids.

Those less crowded time of year cruises are when you will see the incredible *GT rates offered. In the past they used KSF. They still sail pretty full and lots of kids.

True!!! Didn't take into account discounts filling the ships...but still feel the ships don't feel as overwhelming as a trip to WDW does when filled to capacity.

MJ

ITA! Our first four cruises were during those slow times [mid-Nov, then 3 early Dec]. We couldn't believe it when they announced at the kid show that there were 1300 kids ages 3-12 alone onboard. It never felt that crowded. We miss those cruises!

The percentage that it shows is indeed useless. However, what is useful in CF is pricing information per category.

When a category has very few cabins left, the prices for them will have gone up significantly. When you notice all categories have significant price increases, it is a good indication that the ship is full.

At that point I would look into Expedia or Travelocity - It's pretty easy to pick a category and see how many staterooms are available. If you only have GTA, then it's pretty full.

We were on the 3-day Dream cruise when Sandy not only prevented us from landing anywhere, but kept everyone below decks (deck 4 and deck 11 outside off limits)' and we did not feel overcrowded. Some congestion near the main stairs and midship elevators on occasion, that's all :).

We have never felt crowded on the ships. We have traveled with children and without.

You never sailed during Kids Sail Free I take it :)

We did last Feb on the Wonder. It indeed felt crowded. Lines for pictures with some of the characters could be a good 30-40 minutes long. And the lines went down the hallways making all the Atrium area felt crowded.

Our first cruise was on the Dream on late August '12 - at the time, it was not crowded at all..

It depends on the time you cruise basically...

Another issue to consider is how many cabins are left for sale vs how many lifeboat seats. On the new ships, there are 1250 cabins and a passenger capacity of 4000. If every cabin is sold, but has on average only 2 passengers, then the ship is only at 62.5% capacity even though every cabin is occupied. In order to get the ship to 4000 passengers, they need at least an average of 3.2 passengers per cabin. That tends to happen only during peak travel times, when kids are out of school, and you have a higher proportion of families vs just couples. And, in that case, the ship can reach 4000 passengers and still have unsold cabins.

I've seen *GT rates offered just 10 days before sailing in July, on what turned out to be a capacity voyage. So even if the ship is almost full, they'll offer *GT rates if they think that's what's needed to fill every last space.

Also, once on board, one easy way to gauge passenger count is to see if they offer a third performance in the afternoon of the shows in the Walt Disney Theater (on other than the first day). If they do, then there are lots of people on board.

We have cruised twice with KSF and the ship didn't feel crowded to us. This was on the Magic. We always arrive about 10 minutes before the start of the M&G we want to attend, and are near the front of the line, if not the first family in line for the next character. We have never stood in line over 20 minutes for anyone, but it does take planning. If you call the PALS line before you go to bed, it will give you the detailed schedule for the next day. You can see 5-6 characters in the 45-60 minutes before early dining with a plan and get in each line in the order they open.

We have cruised twice with KSF and the ship didn't feel crowded to us. This was on the Magic. We always arrive about 10 minutes before the start of the M&G we want to attend, and are near the front of the line, if not the first family in line for the next character. We have never stood in line over 20 minutes for anyone, but it does take planning. If you call the PALS line before you go to bed, it will give you the detailed schedule for the next day. You can see 5-6 characters in the 45-60 minutes before early dining with a plan and get in each line in the order they open.

I will say on the Magic this last year the princess gathering in the atrium had a long wait on each of our cruises (7 and 8 nights). About an hour before the line started forming.

I sailed on the Magic last February with KSF and it felt PACKED everywhere. Pools, atrium before dinner, theater & elevator lobbies were frequently shoulder-to-shoulder. Very long lines for characters & kids clubs were always very full. In contrast I sailed in the Wonder last week and compared to KSF the ship always felt almost empty. It was fantastic!!!

Might not always be this way but that is my experience & I hope they do not do KSF anymore. I would switch cruises because of it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter