Question re: Gay Couple holding hands in the parks

When it's during the summer at WDW, I don't know why *anyone* would want to hold their partner's hot and sweaty hand...but that's just me.

I read a very funny blog post awhile back, which was written by a gay couple who'd decided to bring their children to Disney.

They were prepared for stares and questions, but what they go instead was smiles and tons of "Pixie Dust"... which led them to conclude that Disney must be staffed by hordes of young gay people. :rotfl2: Because in the author's mind, there could be no other explanation for why they were being treated like family!

But Disney castmembers treat everyone like this. They will make you feel special and unique and very, very welcome. You are absolutely allowed to hold hands, and you may even experience some very sweet moments, like the one my husband and I enjoyed a couple trips back...

It was late and when we walked into the Nemo ride, there were only a few other people in line with us. When we got to the loading dock, holding hands, the castmember grinned at us and said, "Wait a moment! I'll put some empty cars in front of you, and some more behind you. It'll be your own romantic ride, all by yourself!"

I swear, I was giggling like a 12yo on her first date, by the time we got into our car. :lovestruc

Hold hands, enjoy each other's company. Don't worry about judgement. You'll have a wonderful time!

I came back to this thread to post the link, I read this blog post yesterday and thought of the OP. http://jerry-mahoney.com/2014/02/11/gay-dads-at-disney-world/

There may have been a little bit of extra magic from gay CMs happy to see a family with two dads (there are indeed many LGBT employees at WDW, it's a very friendly place to work and that's rare in Orlando); but most of the magic was probably what any family would have gotten. I know if I were working dining reservations and *any* couple called to change and told me it was their anniversary, of *course* I would have waived the change fee and wished them a happy anniversary. It's been 15 years and I can still picture the faces of many of my most special guests, so the odds are very good I'd recognize them the next day. Etc.

Again as a former CM, I did always love working Gay Days, but I do think the reason is a tiny bit sad. We had so many wonderful families that were so happy to be there so the job was truly a joy on those days. But I know part of the reason that they were extra happy and pleasant was because they couldn't have had as relaxed and magical a vacation in other places so they were more tuned in to the magic of WDW and that made them nicer than a lot of families. So I guess we'll have true equality when gay parents scream at their kids for dropping their ice cream or wanting to get out of line to use the bathroom as much as straight parents do. :rotfl2:

But until then, enjoy your vacation.

I came back to this thread to post the link, I read this blog post yesterday and thought of the OP. http://jerry-mahoney.com/2014/02/11/gay-dads-at-disney-world/

You found the article I was thinking of!

A minute later, he was back. “You haven’t been assigned a room yet, but I’m going to talk to my manager and get that taken care of right away! Just sit tight!”

We watched him approach his manager, and Drew whispered to me. “I think we’re getting the family treatment, if you know what I mean.”

Of course I knew what he meant. The cast member who was helping us was gay (“family”) himself, so he was being extra nice to us. Moments later, we were upstairs in a fantastic room on the top floor.

All of us who've been to Disney have experienced Pixie Dust like this. My family was once chosen to have the first ride on Toy Story Mania.

I was intrigued that the author would make assumptions about the cast member's sexuality, just because he was nice to them!

Overall, though, the post made me very happy. I'm glad they had such a great time at Disney World. :goodvibes

When it's during the summer at WDW, I don't know why *anyone* would want to hold their partner's hot and sweaty hand...but that's just me.

I love holding hands in all weather!

My husband, though, will sometimes say, "Can we stop holding hands now? My palm's getting really sweaty..."

So I'll let go. But then I forget, and the next thing you know we're holding hands again.

Eventually he gives up! :lmao:

OP - we did for four days in all the WDW parks and Sea World one day. No problems. If anyone had a problem, it's their problem, not mine.

I wouldn't care in the least and would think it was cute.

Plus, as you can see from this thread, if anyone DID give you problems, there are a lot of us who would back you up!

I really didn't really read through this thread but just feel it's sad that this is even a question. I consider myself a conservative on many issues (mostly economic). I would cherish the opportunity to chime in to somebody that was heckling a gay couple (or anybody for that matter) with my opinion on their narrow sightedness. I think somebody of that nature would quickly realize that maybe they were the one that should feel uncomfortable. And let me add that I am not the confrontational type and I IN NO WAY am hinting towards violence.

Honestly OP I think you WILL run into some snickers/disapproving looks/etc and I think people are being naive and/or trying to be politically correct in saying that you won't. I have witnessed it first hand at Disney on several occasions. The truth of the matter is that there are many states and/or foreign countries where people are not as liberal minded and that is simply a reality.

Having said that, who cares if you do get these disapproving looks? Go and have fun and if any of these types of "interactions" occur it will only put a damper on your day if you allow it to. As many have pointed out, it is your right to enjoy Disney as much as anyone else!

We've been to WDW many times and no, I don't think there is anything wrong with holding hands. I've seen many gay and lesbian couples there (I probably people watch more than most). Some alone and some with their children.

I have never seen anyone give a couple of any orientation a hard time for holding hands!

I SUPPORT and welcome everyone.
:goodvibes

Just don't start playing tonsil hockey in line and adding in a few second base passes. :lmao:

this aint junior high school! :rotfl2:

seriously, you will be fine.

you may be surprised at how civil/tolerant/accepting MOST of us Yanks can be.

the base playing /tonguing I saw was a couple of old farts (her and him) in line at Star wars once. everyone was like get a room already! :sad2:

So I will tell you from my experience...
My husband is very "straight" minded however I feel the opposite and am very pro LGBT.
We have a 4 year old son and during our time at disney we ran into 3 gay / lesbian couples... Now I remember this number exactly over the 100s of straight couples because my husband made a HUGE deal over it to the point we got into an arguement that ended up in me taking our son for the day and him going back to the hotel.
Now I don't want to justify his remarks and I mind anyone holding hands or putting arms around one another or a kiss, but one of the young I would guess teenage couples was literally sucking each others faces off before going into the monsters inc laugh factory (there was an incident with a straight teenage couple on the ferry that a CM had to tell them to stop as well)... I just feel like gay or straight people need to just be respectful that this is a family place and not a bar or club.

You are going to get the negative peoplevthat look at you wrong but as long as you don't let it bother you then it will be fine, if you get harassed tell a CM immediately don't argue with the person because if a fight breaks out then you both will be removed from the property.

I would think that a lady wearing high heels would get more stares than a gay couple holding hands. Have fun.

Just to stir the pot a little - I don't think Americans are as bigoted as we are portrayed by the media. Most people really don't mind. The basketball player, the football player and Ellen Page all came out and guess what - nobody blinked except the media.

Honestly OP I think you WILL run into some snickers/disapproving looks/etc and I think people are being naive and/or trying to be politically correct in saying that you won't. I have witnessed it first hand at Disney on several occasions. The truth of the matter is that there are many states and/or foreign countries where people are not as liberal minded and that is simply a reality.

Having said that, who cares if you do get these disapproving looks? Go and have fun and if any of these types of "interactions" occur it will only put a damper on your day if you allow it to. As many have pointed out, it is your right to enjoy Disney as much as anyone else!

This made me remember one "incident" during my last visit. We were holding hands, standing in line or something. I did notice one young women - probably late teens. I saw her eyes look at me, then scan down to our clasped hands, then up to my partner, then back down to our clasped hands, then back up to me. I just thought she must be having a hard time processing it. I did find it amusing though.

But if there were any "snickers/disapproving looks/etc" I didn't see them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter