• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Question re: Gay Couple holding hands in the parks

Thats exactly when we're there :) Don't be afraid to come up and say hi - my fiance is english, Im the aussie... We'll be the ones with the massive grins on our faces staring at everything in awe like excited 5yo kids :yay:

I hope you have a fabulous trip. I've always taught my kids that you love who you love. But if they asked why two men (or women) were holding hands, I'd just say they loved each other. And that's a good thing.

Hold hands and enjoy your life and ignore the ignorant people who will stare. I am married to a 72 year old man and I am 46 we have been married for 15 years very happily , we hold hands in the park and get the most disgusting looks from some people others look and look away , the ones that stare I make it a point to plant a big kiss on him to let them see in your face I love him!.....I am in remission from leukemia and you know what I have learned from this .....Live your life and be happy let the other negative nancies around you wallow in their own prejudicial unhappiness. If I see you I will say Hi!!!!

While everyone here is positive about your visit (as we all should be), just remember that people from all around the world visit Disney, often from cultures not as accepting of homosexuality. And not all Americans are accepting of gay couples, either. I'm saying this so you are just a little bit prepared.

That being said, I've been visiting Disney for over 25 years, several times a year and at different times of year. I have never seen anyone -- gay or straight or unknown -- acting inappropriately or in any way that made me notice them negatively. I define "acting inappropriately" as behaving in a way you would not if your grandmother was watching. The vast, vast, vast majority of guests will either not notice that two men are holding hands or will not care. If anyone does notice, it will be an extreme few who will, at most, give a quick "stink eye" look, maybe mutter something under their breath. I want you to be prepared just in case.

As much as the US media makes out of the issue, for most of us, whether a person is straight or gay or other is a non-issue.

Most of the time tourists are too busy at Disney to pay that much attention to what others are doing. You'd have to do something truly outlandish to attract attention.

Making out in public will get a few pictures snapped of you to be posted and shared on social media later under the guise of "Can you believe they did that?"

Dressing so indecently you show bits of yourself that would embarrass you if seen in the mirror.

Verbally arguing or dressing someone down that you appear like a spoiled 2 year old.

Teenagers tend to be the biggest offenders of this. Most adults are too self aware to make such fools of themselves.

Hand-holding, walking arm in arm, hugging, quick chaste kisses of affection, these things are harmless. My guess is few will probably even notice the handholding. A hug may get more attention as would a kiss, but you won't get chastised for it. The US is more progressive than that.

By the way, you might find this article interesting, with regards to the overall policy at Disney with regards to gay employees and guests:

Disney World Pulls Funding for Boy Scouts Over LGBT Ban

While it's unfortunate the kids will be getting less funding, Disney really didn't have another option if they were going to be true to their own business standards.

The Walt Disney Company’s “Standards of Business Conduct” includes protections against “harassment or discrimination” based on, amongst other things, ”sex, sexual orientation, and gender identification.”

Also, Disney:

...has offered health benefits to same-sex partners of employees since 1995, and allows same-sex marriage ceremonies on its grounds.

:cheer2:

I don't know if this helps...but my daughter (step recently adopted) looks close to my age. I'm 31 and she's 19. We hold hands and act silly in the park and it could be confused by people that we had a different type of relationship but I didn't notice any comments or looks.

I agree with all the PPs. Go for it but be tasteful.

When my dd was 5 we were at MK and a couple walked by holding hands. DD frowned, then said
DD: Mommy, were those two LADIES holding hands?
Me: Yes
DD: Why?
Me: Well I guess they really like each other
DD: Oh.

End of conversation, and she has never said another word about same sex couples, which we see frequently at DW and at every park in Orlando and here at home.

The only thing I would think is "I wish my husband would hold my hand at Disney"! Go, celebrate your love, and have a wonderful trip!

Just wanted I wish you and your partner a lifetime of love and happiness as well as a wonderful trip. For what it's worth, DH and I wouldn't look twice at a same sex couple holding hands while with our 6 year old. She knows that some families have 2 daddies or 2 mommies, but even if she didn't I think it is much more unsettling to have to explain hate than love.

You have every right to hold hands like any other couple in the parks. My children understand that families are made many different ways. My 10 year olds sons will explain gay this way "Some people like the same and some people like different". Be who you are and enjoy your vacation. :)

I have no issues with any couple showing affection. Our photopass photographer took a few photos of me and my hubbie smooching.... I didn't think about is this offending anyone.

This thread makes me smile. :)

Hope the OP and his partner have a wonderful Disney vacation. My guess is your accents will get you more attention (in a positive way) than your hand holding.

Hi there, Everyone ~

So, Im a little embarassed to have to ask this question (and in a way, it's kind of sad that in this day-and-age I still have to) but...

Can a gay couple hold hands in the parks without causing a problem?

Im deliberately keeping this question off the Gay/Lesbian board, and we're arriving a week before the "Gay Weekend" (I didn't even know there WAS a gay weekend at disney... we booked our trip before we even knew about it...!)

My partner and I are your normal, aussie, guy next door types... you wouldnt know it to look at us... and engaged to be married and madly in love. We want to be comfortable around the parks, but not if people are going to be raising their eyebrows or shielding their children away from us in horror...

Have you seen this kind of thing in Disney World before? Has it been a problem? Have people taken issue? Do people even care these days in the U.S?

We know everywhere is different... America is at a different stage regarding equality to where Australia is at - The last thing we'd want to cause is trouble... but it would be wonderful if we could hand hands as any other couple would while enjoying our holiday.

I'd love to hear what you think...

I am a Canadian, but, for what its worth.

Hold hands, show your love, it's beautiful.

Who cares what others think.
I'm a biker who goes to the park several times a year.
People stare and clutch their purses tight, etc, when I walk near them.
Do I care, no way. I'm too involved in the "Magic" of Disney to pay much attention.

Does my wife care? No way....she's too busy in the gift shops.. :rotfl:

:moped:
That is sad. Sorry people are so close minded.
I actually LOVE biker guys. I had a couple save me from a huge beat down by an ex boyfriend (not a biker guy) many many years ago. Never looked at a biker guy the same way after that. :thumbsup2

I love Australia and Australians. Been to your beautiful country twice and fell in love with it.

I hope you will experience the same joy when you visit WDW.

My only real advice to you is - Get up out of bed and be at each park's rope drop every morning!!! No matter how tired you may be, do it. That's the single best thing you can do to maximize your chances of getting on the best rides without long waits.

Oz, go and enjoy and do not worry. Your trip will be filled with so many fun memories and special moments. Don't let anything spoil your trip!!
Have a wonderful time!! pixiedust:

I tend to notice more when I see same-sex couples holding hands. It always makes me smile a little more, knowing that society is progressing toward equality and acceptance. Go for it. Be proud of your love. You suffer through enough discrimination; you shouldn't have to suffer through it at the happiest place on Earth.

The good thing is that people with ignorant views like the pp don't tend to speak up in the parks when they don't have the anonymity of the internet. Don't worry, go and have a great time!

Who cares what others think.
I'm a biker who goes to the park several times a year.
People stare and clutch their purses tight, etc, when I walk near them.
Do I care, no way. I'm too involved in the "Magic" of Disney to pay much attention.

Does my wife care? No way....she's too busy in the gift shops.. :rotfl:

:moped:

That's sad! One of my favorite memories happened several years ago. I got to MK at rope drop and made a bee line for Fantasy Land. I had just gotten off Peter Pan and and Small World and was headed toward Mickey's Philharmagic when I saw an adorable little girl dressed in what was obviously a home made princess type dress. She was holding the hand of this huge biker type guy. He had long hair with a few braids in it covered with a bandana on top, a long beard, was wearing motorcycle boots, faded, frayed, denim cutoffs, and had a black leather vest over a t shirt. His arms, neck, and most of his legs were covered in tatoos. Without the little girl, he might have looked a little scary to anyone. However, he was holding hands with his daughter who was trying to show him how to skip. The big guy was klutz at it, but he was trying his best. They were in their own little world and were absolutely adorable. I so wanted to take a picture of them, but didn't want to infringe on their rights. Somehow they epitomized that wonderful happy feeling Magic Kingdom is supposed to be all about. I noticed several other people stopped looking at them and smiling, but don't think they even noticed. They were in their own little world. I was solo that trip and the sight of that big tough guy happily trying to skip through Fantasy Land, holding his little girl's hand was enough to make the meanest scrooge melt.

To the OP: most people are so wrapped up in their own little world at WDW and so busy with their own families they don't even notice what everyone else is doing. I go to WDW several times a year and have never noticed if someone is holding hands or not unless it's some cute, sweet little old couple like someone mentioned in an earlier post or someone that stands out like the biker guy in my post. The only reason they stand out is that looking at them can't help but give you a warm fuzzy feeling. Now if any couple, straight or gay, were in line in front of me and were groping all over each other, putting their tongues down each other's throats, then yes, I would probably tell you to go get a room. Hand holding or a little peck on the lips=no big deal though.

I'm late to this thread, but want to add that love between people is never a bad thing. Enjoy your trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter