question... Princess Fraud

I will tell you the same thing I told my daughter when she was younger.

There is reporting and there is tattle telling. Reporting is when someone is going to be hurt. Tattle telling is when someone will not be hurt. Unless someone is going to be hurt or already was hurt, you need to stay out of it.

First off Disney is not a "someone", they are a corporation. Secondly they will not be hurt with this situation (physically or financially).

No one likes a tattler so I am going to have to say MYOB.

I think most are being harsh on her. What they are doing is wrong by Disney's standards, so why shouldn't she report it?

I think most are being harsh on her. What they are doing is wrong by Disney's standards, so why shouldn't she report it?

She is welcome to. Others are welcome to think that she is not consistently concerned with the well being of companies or individuals and that she has been over the top in the thread.

As i said. If she feels so strongly about what is right that she always makes the proverbial call then here is more to this than she is telling.

She is far more likely to do good in this world if she calls in speeders.

She is absolutely allowed to report it if she wants to.

And since she posted on a discussion thread, everybody else is absolutely allowed to give their opinion that it is not worth reporting and they wouldn't be doing it. And then based on the over the top, angry responses, speculation on why exactly she would want to report the business.

What is over the line is the name calling and and the nastiness to the other posters.

It took me exactly 30 seconds to type into google "disney copyright infringement reporting." Much shorter than typing out her first post. The first link that came up was the Disney information on how to report a copyright infringement.

The OP has been a member of the DIS since 2007. Long enough to know how the boards work. Long enough to know that she would get dissenting opinions. If she didn't want to stir the pot, she could have googled her question.

If you are not an artist, musician, etc then maybe you just can't understand. This type of thing personally insults people in the creative community because it is theft of creativity and ideas.

I am an artist and I still cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would get worked up over this.

our local chik-fil-a is advertising pictures with Anna and Elsa on certain days of the week. I wonder if the owner knows it is not legal? I think it's wrong when one business uses another business with out permission to increase their own profits.

I understand Disney not wanting others to use their characters. Not only do they loose money, but there is a chance these non-authorized characters could be seen doing something un-Disneylike, and parents who don't realize those aren't Disney-authorized characters complaining to Disney. But I also understand why Disney doesn't have characters-for-hire around the country. Too hard to supervise and it would cut in to their theme park profits since some people wouldn't see a need to go to a park when they can see a character at home.

The great thing about a discussion board is that people can have a...discussion about something. Even threads that are started just as a question often evolve into discussions. And you know, lots of times people bring things up that maybe weren't directly in the OP, but are helpful nonetheless. This happens all the time on the resort board, for example, when people are asking where to stay.

At any rate, as long as posters are cordial and respectful, they can respond however they like. In discussion forums, the OP does not "own" the thread.

And my unsolicited yet worthwhile opinion is that I don't have the time to even worry about stuff like this, so I would never report them to Disney.

You really think that chick-fil-a hasn't contacted Disney? Most franchisee's clear ads through corporate.

Ok I think the OP needs to get a life. You could spend every day reporting things that are "illegal". Does she follow speeders that could kill someone? Does she follow people who run red lights? Oh how about people who park in HP spots?

Really I would find those things worse than some chick dressed as Snow White putting a smile on a kids face.

This situation puts me in mind of the "designer" handbag parties that a few friends and relatives have had. Do I buy the bags, no, I know they are fake. Do I go to the parties, no, I know they are fake. Do I give money to the friend who is going to the phillipines and is willing to bring back a Tory Burch look alike purse, no, I know the bag is fake. And I know that the production of fake bags hurts the manufacturers and hurts me when I go to go resell my real bag. Do I report these people who are buying the bags or the people running the parties to Coach or LV or Tory Burch? No, I don't. Why? Because I have too much to do to be bothered AND I know that the fakes make some people happy, because they look enough like the original that other people are very happy to have something similar for the a lot less money. Same goes for the fake Disney Princess Party throwers. They are fake, the buyers know they are fake but they are very happy with that because it's making their kids happy. The only reason for OP to report is because she has been hurt by the party rental place.

I wonder if this place is actually using the Disney version of the princesses? I don't think that Disney can stop them from using Cinderella and Snow White and so on as long as they aren't Disney's versions.

Wow, so much anger over this! I wonder why.

This topic reminds me of the interview Jennilyn did this week about buying art. Disney copyright was brought up in the discussion. The artist made a point that any drawings sold by a non Disney rep was stealing from Disney. I think there is a fine line in this area. I understand how the artist is thinking but how would Disney even start to go after people that break copyright?

I saw "anna" and "elsa" walking around our local fair last weekend. They were joined by the guy too (sorry, only saw the movie once!) and he was carrying a tub of money for tips I guess.

I was wondering who on earth would put money in a jar for people dressed up just walking around a fair? Then I thought maybe they would take tips for pictures with people?
I know this is wrong but it never crossed my mind to try and get their info to report them to Disney. I'm sure they do parties too, these girls were all out dressed up with hand-made costumes.

Attempting to make a profit posing as a DISNEY character or making signs to draw people into your establishment with DISNEY characters , without Disney's permission is stealing . Just as sure as grabbing a new shirt off the rack and stuffing it into your coat then walking out of Macys .
Of course I am hearing on this thread that it's OK because Macys is a big corporation and it won't hurt them. :confused3

It happens everywhere...always has.....always will. Places are not going to advertise DISNEY princess, just princess. Our local Chick-fil-a does this and melting pot is doing princess parties. I have seen the princess at both and they could not look anymore like the frozen girls! The outfits, hair..everything so much like disney. We were at a local festival this week-end and there was Minnie, Anna, and Elise. They were VERY close to the Disney version. I admit all I could think about was people standing in line for hours at WDW to see them and here there are, with only a couple little girls making pictures and caring on very cool conversations. A local Day Care in our area did get reported to WDW, years ago for have disney characters on the outside of their building. I can't remember if anything came of it other than them repainting that wall. Their pictures were really bad and it was a stretch to even call it Mickey Mouse!!!!

Hey OP, while you're at it, you might want to report Mickey & Co. in Times Square. They've been ripping of Disney (and Marvel, Universal Studios, etc) for decades!

times_square-300x3004.jpg

url

Taking their heads off in view of the general public, the horror! I hear you get thrown in Disney lock-up for that sort of behavior.
url

Hey OP, while you're at it, you might want to report Mickey & Co. in Times Square. They've been ripping of Disney (and Marvel, Universal Studios, etc) for decades!

times_square-300x3004.jpg

url

Taking their heads off in view of the general public, the horror! I hear you get thrown in Disney lock-up for that sort of behavior.
url

She can go after the ones on Hollywood blvd and the Vegas Strip as well. There are so many of these violations that a person could make it a full time job finding and reporting them....oh wait the Disney Corporation has already done that with their lawyers :rolleyes:.

Leave it to the people that are getting paid to find these things and MYOB.

I went to our state fair yesterday. I guess they must of made a deal with Disney as we have the letter's from out from of DL, they had boards that showed the car's from the movie Cars, and I am not quite sure but I think a piece of Toon Town as well.

I would imagine that for it to be true copyright infringement or whatever, the princess in question would have to be identical to the Disney version.

For instance, two dance studios here do "princess birthday party". There is nothing whatsoever that even suggests that its a Disney princess. And for most people its obviously not. The princess may have Belle's hair color and Sleeping Beauty's dress for instance. The kids still like it and the parents know its not Disney.

One dance studio also has Mickey and Minnie come out at ever recital. Only its not. The faces and heads are way different but to all the little kids, its MICKEY!

Our church had Ana and Elsa and Olaf this past weekend. They were showing Frozen as part of the sermon series this month. They get all the proper permission done well beforehand BUT they aren't making money off of it either.

Chances are chik fi a also has permission, and there may be a small difference that most of us would not even notice in the princesses they have there.

Attempting to make a profit posing as a DISNEY character or making signs to draw people into your establishment with DISNEY characters , without Disney's permission is stealing . Just as sure as grabbing a new shirt off the rack and stuffing it into your coat then walking out of Macys .
Of course I am hearing on this thread that it's OK because Macys is a big corporation and it won't hurt them. :confused3

I am not seeing where anybody said because it is a big corporation, it is perfectly fine. And walking out of a store with a coat that was meant for profit is different.

What I have seen said is that Disney has a huge legal team that explores copyright infringements. They prioritize what is important to go after.

Speeding 5 miles over the limit is against the law. But police don't usually pull you over for going 5 miles over the speed limit.

Reporting a Disney Princess infraction to Disney, while technically illegal, is about the same as sitting on the street corner and calling the cops when somebody goes 5 mph over the speed limit. Not a priority.

Stealing a coat is a whole 'nuther ball game.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter