Question on using borrowed points

apv7

Earning My Ears
I recently purchased a 100 resale dvc contract. I did less points figuring a yearly trip might be too much for us. This contract came with 0 points for 2015 and the use year is September. If I wanted to go in October of 2016 could I book the 11 months ahead at my home resort? I would need 2016 and 2017's points to do so. I was wondering because if I was to book 11 months ahead of my trip I would still have 0 points in my account and I would have to wait to receive and borrow my 2016 and 2017 points that will come one month before my scheduled trip. thank you for the information!

You can book 11 months before trip. Booking and UY (points available) are 2 different windows and a little confusing to understand. But when you book, you have to have points in the year that the resie falls in. Your UY is Sept and so Sept 1, 2016 to Aug 31, 2017 is the use year fpr your Sept 2016 points and you can book a resie in that year with those points (at 11 months out).

Example: Trip is Oct 2016...use 2016 points and borrowed points from 2017 (which then become 2016 points)...you can book in November 2015.

All points through the end of the contract are already in your account; you just can't use them yet.

If you have points that are valid for the time of the reservation, you can book the reservation.

Since an October reservation will be in your 2016 use year, you can book with 2016 points and borrow 2017 points if necessary. You can do all that 11 months in advance.

Yep, what lovin'fl and super snoop said. :) It can be confusing to new members because you really want to first think of your booking windows, remembering the 7/11 rule for DVC resorts, which since you are a resale member will likely be the main thing you'll be booking. You can actually call Member Services in one Use Year to book in your next Use Year and borrow from the Use Year ahead of the year your rez falls in! Was that as clear as mud? :teacher: :teeth:

Here is what helped me when I first became a member. Every thing is based on time of travel so first figure out what UY your trip will take place. Once you know that, then you know you can use banked points from the UY prior to travel, points from the UY of travel, and borrow points from the UY after travel. You can always book up to 11 months prior to the start of the trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter