question on possibility of paid upgrades

wbutter

Earning My Ears
Had a quick question was hoping someone had some experience with. Booked a quick last minute trip for my family arriving next Saturday. Used my American Airlines points for 4 nights at AoA in a little mermaid room. It is just my wife in I with our 2 kids both under 2 years old so the one room is fine, but wouldn't mind the extra room of a suite. At check in do you think it would be possible to upgrade for a certain dollar amount if a suite was available?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
-Bill

I believe it is usually the difference in the rate you paid and the rate of the room you want. Disney doesn't typically do last-minute discounts.

The time we stayed at the Contemporary in the Garden Wing, we went to the desk and asked about upgrading to the Tower. They just handed us a brochure with pricing and said it would be the difference between the two categories and that was it. The desk CM wouldn't even do the pricing for us in the computer, said we had to figure it out from the brochure and decide if we wanted it or not.

I thought AOA was pretty well booked because it was so new - looking at the WDW site there are suites available for your dates for $294 per night compared to the $123 a regular room would cost - so if my math is right, that would be $171 a night to upgrade ($684 for the 4 nights.)
The interesting question to me is what credit Disney would give you for the airline miles you used to book the room. I don't recall anyone ever posting about that - if you find out please post and let us know.
Oh, and it's so cool to do a last minute WDW trip hope you and those two children under age two have a great time, I bet they love AOA's bright colors and oversized critters.

I was just at CBR in August. At check in I asked if available could I pay the difference and switch to a preferred room. It took about 5 mins for her to check for availability and give me price but it was well worth it!

Yes, if you would like to upgrade to a Suite when you arrive and they have availability during your entire stay, they would be happy to accomodate you. You will be charged the difference between the original room you booked and the current price of the family suite. If you're currently booked under a promotion (free dining or room only discount) you will not be able to have the family suite under the discount unless they are currently running the same discount and have availability under the discounted rooms.

Thanks for all the responses! I will ask at check-in and let you know what they say. Sounds like the response I will get is to pay the $171 difference. I figured if they said $100 a night or less I would do it but at $171 I will pass and put that money towards another trip, not that big of a deal.

This will both my kids first trip and we haven't been since getting engaged there in 2010, it's been a hectic couple years, what can I say. My daughter who is turning 2 in August will have a blast, we have been watching videos of rides and character meets to get her ready. My son is only 5 months so he is happy no matter what we do. We are getting the usual responses from friends and family on why are we spending money on a trip they won't remember but we love being there and want to start them early loving it too.

thanks again,
Bill

Thanks for all the responses! I will ask at check-in and let you know what they say. Sounds like the response I will get is to pay the $171 difference. I figured if they said $100 a night or less I would do it but at $171 I will pass and put that money towards another trip, not that big of a deal.

This will both my kids first trip and we haven't been since getting engaged there in 2010, it's been a hectic couple years, what can I say. My daughter who is turning 2 in August will have a blast, we have been watching videos of rides and character meets to get her ready. My son is only 5 months so he is happy no matter what we do. We are getting the usual responses from friends and family on why are we spending money on a trip they won't remember but we love being there and want to start them early loving it too.

thanks again,
Bill

We got those family comments too! We took our 5 month old last year. He smiled the entire week and was a hit with the CMs. Always covered in stickers! Our 4 year old is going for the 3rd time and remembers a lot from his trips!

Have a blast, seeing your kids smile and laugh there at such young ages is amazing!

wbutter said:
We are getting the usual responses from friends and family on why are we spending money on a trip they won't remember but we love being there and want to start them early loving it too.

It's a trip you'll remember.

Maybe your kids won't remember the trip, but you will have a great vacation spending time together as a family. That's what it's all about right?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter