Question on ordering at Palo and Remy

I have dined at Remy on The Fantasy and was able to order as many items as I wanted to try. Of course, I did not order but one extra item as I really wanted to try the lobster which was wonderful.

At Palo, I have always been able to order as many items as we would like. Again, never went overboard as I did not want to be stuffed. Also, I ate at Palo in November on the Dream and was able to order items on the tasting menu a la carte and it was a full size.

I find everyone's posts interesting and I posted earlier in this thread.

Going back many many years when I was very new to DCL I came here and read similar posts this was circa 2002!

People posted, order what you like, eat as much as you can, so on booking Palo I asked and said what I was thinking, and its ...well we normally only do one main entree, I asked about the steak ravioli ..this response was well we could do a half potion, really not wanting to do it.

I felt a bit embarrassed and the advice here was wrong.

Since then, ten cruises later and as concierge often more than one Palo dinner a cruise, the answer to us has been consistent. I have pushed it and the response was a polite your ordering a bit too much.

Seems it might be the luck of the draw but order ten years the feeling is having the brakes on all the time.

Only one time I didn't have an issue was in the Walt and we could order Palo in room there, and basically I handed a list to concierge of what we wanted and it all came!!

Now I would end by saying you never come out of Palo feeling hungry and often I feel full, I cant in my imagination think what people would feel if they had two main courses!

Brunch has been different always encouraged to go up as many times as we wish, but I like to have two brunches and split what I like between two, to avoid overdoing it.

That's a shame. I was B2B with the previous 5-night cruise and had excellent service across the board with the added plus of seeing many familiar crew members.
We must have seen each other at the cold and windy Castaway reception in back of Beach Blanket. I was the one desperately trying to keep my skirt down since I'd already changed for dinner.

There were so few of us I'm sure we did see each other! We were the Platinum lanyards in the corner (I was in a hot pink dress) and munching incredibly lightly. We were on our way to the much-discussed Palo dinner in this thread.

My husband and I ate at Palo on the Dream in November. We had no problem ordering whatever we wanted, which ended up being 2 appetizers, 2 entrees, 2 half orders of pasta and 3 desserts. Our server also brought us a dish of berries to go with them and didn't seem put out by any of our requests. We were also offered any of the items off of the tasting menu, had we wanted them.

I'm thinking if trying the wine paring/tStinf menu at our March 8th Fantasy cruise IF they will let me sub out the veal (no pork or beef for me!) and I'll report back. We are doing our free Palo for dinner and Remy brunch (w/champagne pairing of course).

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

The Dream and Magic cruisers who have reported here, have reported full-size portions of the dishes being available as part of the regular dining experience.

Do we have any recent Fantasy cruisers who may be able to share their experience?

We sailed the Fantasy at the end of November, and my favorite appetizer at Palo is the Portabella mushroom appetizer. I asked about it when I saw the tasting menu, and was assured that I could order it a la carte with no issues.
And it was fantastic!!!

LOVE Evandro!!!!!!

(Just wanted to say that)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

My family LOVES Evandro too! He is absolutely amazing and I'm so sad that he is going to be on vacation during my Med cruise in June. It just won't be the same without him.

We are scheduled to dine at Palo next week so I have enjoyed following this thread. Do people normally order a pasta dish (or half of one) as well as a meat/fish/chicken dish for the entree? Or pasta as the entree? The pastas look wonderful but we are also interested in the steak, lamb and veal. This will be our first cruise.

Our server insisted that we at least get a half size order of pasta in addition to our entree. I was so glad that she did because the chianti beef ravioli was delicious. It was very rich and filling so I'm glad that she only brought the half size.

Going back many many years when I was very new to DCL I came here and read similar posts this was circa 2002!

People posted, order what you like, eat as much as you can, so on booking Palo I asked and said what I was thinking, and its ...well we normally only do one main entree, I asked about the steak ravioli ..this response was well we could do a half potion, really not wanting to do it.

Since then, ten cruises later and as concierge often more than one Palo dinner a cruise, the answer to us has been consistent. I have pushed it and the response was a polite your ordering a bit too much.

Seems it might be the luck of the draw but order ten years the feeling is having the brakes on all the time.

Only one time I didn't have an issue was in the Walt and we could order Palo in room there, and basically I handed a list to concierge of what we wanted and it all came!!

Now I would end by saying you never come out of Palo feeling hungry and often I feel full, I cant in my imagination think what people would feel if they had two main courses!

Brunch has been different always encouraged to go up as many times as we wish, but I like to have two brunches and split what I like between two, to avoid overdoing it.

Wow, I have had Palo on six cruises and have never been told no. I have been brought out 1/2 of some (which was just fine) and I have been able to take back to my room the leftovers. Never told no that might be too much ever.

If anything it was suggested to get more and try it :confused3

Same here... The servers have always encouraged us to "try" some of the options we didn't order. We've gotten half portions without even asking because they were sure we would love it. And if we couldn't squeeze dessert, they would put something together for us to take back to the room...

DISNEY FANTASY said:

Wow! I have NEVER had that happen at Palo!

In fact, *hangs head* on my last cruise in November, DH and I went to Palo with another couple and ordered EVERY THING ON THE MENU. No, I'm not kidding. It was a one time only exercise in absolute gluttony.

Dinner was a three hour affair for us. Aleksandra was fantastic, she just kept filling the table with one of every single item and actually got a kick out of it. She did keep wondering out loud where on earth we were putting it all, lol. The chef came out to say hello...I think he just wanted to see the crazy people, really.

We didn't plan on it, not in the least, but when we realized each of us couldn't decide what to order...Aleks asked what we'd like and my friend joked, "everything." She looked him straight in the eye and said, "We can do that."

Needless to say, the four of us were in food comas immediately afterward and had no interest in breakfast the next morning. Worst food hangover EVER - but what a memory.

I wonder if table size has anything to do with it... We were just two and were pretty much shut down when requesting additional choices.

I've e-mailed DCL and asked them for an answer about choosing items from the prix fixe menu when only having the standard menu, but so far no reply.

I've e-mailed DCL and asked them for an answer about choosing items from the prix fixe menu when only having the standard menu, but so far no reply.
We ordered from the prix fixe menu while only having the standard menu. You are essentially paying extra for the wine, not the dishes.

I wonder if table size has anything to do with it... We were just two and were pretty much shut down when requesting additional choices.

I've never had any issues whether I sat at a table for two or four. We have always gotten whatever we wanted plus additional items that our server thought we should try.

We ordered from the prix fixe menu while only having the standard menu. You are essentially paying extra for the wine, not the dishes.

I think that other have been refused though, or told that it would be given to them in exceptional circumstances.

It's sounding like the inconsistency may be from ship-to-ship and not necessarily from sailing-to-sailing. From this anecdotal evidence, it sounds like Wonder is only allowing the pairing menu dishes to be served as the upcharge menu (it was made clear to me that my being served the tasting size portion of the branzino was an exception and I've sailed frequently and recently enough on that ship that it may have possibly contributed to the exception being allowed).

The Dream and Magic cruisers who have reported here, have reported full-size portions of the dishes being available as part of the regular dining experience.

Do we have any recent Fantasy cruisers who may be able to share their experience?

Yes. We were on the 1/4 - 1/11 Fantasy cruise out of Port Canaveral. My husband and I had both brunch and dinner at Palo; our server was Ivan. We were told we could order any of the appetizers from the "wine pairing" menu, without the wine (and the upcharge). We were told this without us asking, just in the course of him explaining the menu. I heard other servers saying the same thing to other diners, as if it was the standard thing they say. Perhaps a recent development?

I had the mushroom polenta; it was full-sized and delicious. :)

We were allowed to order from the prix fixe menu this past week on the Fantasy. However this is our third cruise with the same Palo server so that might be why. :)

Sounds like the Fantasy is accommodating. We didn't have any problems ordering extras on the Wonder. Is the problem on one of the other ships? Maybe different dining room mgrs. have different policies on this?

We are scheduled to dine at Palo next week so I have enjoyed following this thread. Do people normally order a pasta dish (or half of one) as well as a meat/fish/chicken dish for the entree? Or pasta as the entree? The pastas look wonderful but we are also interested in the steak, lamb and veal. This will be our first cruise.

We ate at Palo on the Fantasy in May '13 and I ordered a full pasta dish (lobster ravioli) and an entrée. Our server asked if I was sure and suggested that it might be too much, but I assured him that I had a big appetite (I was training for a marathon and really was hungry all the time). I finished off both dishes and he came back to our table and told us he'd never, ever again doubt someone's request for both. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter