• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Question on ordering at Palo and Remy

We will see how it happens in practice on all four ships. My experience on the Wonder, on this sailing was this is how it was explained and things were not available otherwise.

I was able to get three half servings of pasta for one course which was pretty nice. Would do that again.

Happy to help.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I'm eating in Palo in March on The Wonder and just checked the menu on the DCL site, and there is nothing about this new change. By the sounds of things many of the things I like are only available in the new menu with wine pairings. Now I pay for 3 people so that's quite an addition for me and secondly my daughter in law doesn't like wine! Yikes.

Can you give me a link to the blog please where the new menu can be found? Thanks

another word of caution about ordering at Palo/Remy. I was prepared to pay the $25/$75 upcharge plus added gratuity. What surprised me was we were each charged and additional $5 for water at Remy. I guess I should have specifically said TAP water when he offered us sparkling. Instead I only said, "no thank you, regular water will be fine". He did pour it out of a bottle and I should have realized we would be charged for bottled water but didn't. so if you don't want to drink water out of a fancy bottle that tastes exactly the same as tap water and costs $5, make sure you say TAP water at Remy. At Palo we did not have this experience....also, ask to see the wine list prior to ordering. When my husband asked to order wine, they did not offer him a menu, just sent the sommelier over to discuss choices. My husband described the type of wine he likes at home and asked for something similar (La Crema pinot noir, nothing too fancy which runs about $8-10/glass in most restaurants). The sommelier offered to bring him something very similar but no prices were discussed. Well, the glass he brought him was $50. Again, totally our fault for not asking, but still sticker shock just the same when we signed off on the bill at the end. So be careful when ordering and don't be afraid to inquire about cost ahead of time, or ask for a wine list with prices before you order....

I'm eating in Palo in March on The Wonder and just checked the menu on the DCL site, and there is nothing about this new change. By the sounds of things many of the things I like are only available in the new menu with wine pairings. Now I pay for 3 people so that's quite an addition for me and secondly my daughter in law doesn't like wine! Yikes.

Can you give me a link to the blog please where the new menu can be found? Thanks

I like wine with a meal but I won't pay an extra 60 bucks per person for it. I also won't pay 100 bucks for someone to tell me which one to have. You can find the menu here.

http://disneycruiselineblog.com/menus/

I like wine with a meal but I won't pay an extra 60 bucks per person for it. I also won't pay 100 bucks for someone to tell me which one to have. You can find the menu here. http://disneycruiselineblog.com/menus/

I see the wine experience menu there - and then I see a 2012 regular menu. And I just missing the new regular menu or is that not posted yet? I just want to make sure our favorites are still on the regular menu before we sail in 3 weeks :-)

I see the wine experience menu there - and then I see a 2012 regular menu. And I just missing the new regular menu or is that not posted yet? I just want to make sure our favorites are still on the regular menu before we sail in 3 weeks :-)

That's the only link I'm aware of, but I gathered from the conversation that the wine experience part was the only change. but I could be mistaken.

There is a three-page October 2013 menu there. On top of the first page, you see the "Esperienza del Vino" (Wine Experience) dishes that to our current understanding cannot be ordered separately without paying the $59:

Tuna Carpaccio, Portobello Mushroom and Polenta, Lobster and Mascarpone Ravioli, Branzino in Cartoccio, Osso Buco, and Tartufo (though the Osso Buco is different insofar as it appears again on the normal menu, while the others don't).

Everything below that and on the next two pages, should still be available to order for everyone.

That's the only link I'm aware of, but I gathered from the conversation that the wine experience part was the only change. but I could be mistaken.

Thanks!

Unless I'm reading it wrong - it looks like only 6 items paired with wine? Maybe we will be in luck :-)

Thanks for this.
I always have the mushroom with the polenta and mostly have the lobster ravioli, but don't want the menu with the wine pairings, so is that now a no go?

If that's the case that's such a shame.

On the Dream last week, I asked our server about the sea bass being missing from the regular menu and she pointed out that it was still on the tasting menu and that I could indeed order it ala carte. It came out a full size portion as it always was.

I will be disappointed next month on the Magic if this is not the case. I love the spaghetti vegetables served with it!

So I assume there is lots of pasta with it being italian and I was wondering if you could gluten free pasta? Would it be worth it for me to do this since I am gluten free and dairy free?

We saw this menu change as well and had a long discussion with Dragan (Palo manager) regarding it. It is not served without the wine pairings. Also, they are not supposed to substitute or offer the selections on the prix fixe menu to those not paying the $59 additional upcharge. Your feeling that your offering was an exception was correct. :) Hope you enjoyed it! I think Palo on the Wonder has the best service and food in the fleet.

My DS and I were on the Magic for two cruises a little over a week ago and we both ordered items from the prix fixe menu with no issues. Our server said we could have anything from either side of the menu. I also always combine two of the pasta dishes taking the sauce from the one to put on the other. I have been to Palo countless times during my nine cruises on the Magic and one cruise on the Wonder. Our servers have always been so wonderful and given us anything we wanted.

Thanks for this.
I always have the mushroom with the polenta and mostly have the lobster ravioli, but don't want the menu with the wine pairings, so is that now a no go?

If that's the case that's such a shame.

There seem to be mixed messages people are getting. One reported getting a serving of something a la carte but that it was small - tasting size. One reported that a head server in Palo stated that those items could not be ordered a la carte. And now two report being able to order it a la carte and getting a full portion size.

The tasting size for the lobster ravioli actually wouldn't bother me as I had planned to do like last time and get half an order of that and half of the beef ravioli. I'll ask in just over 3 weeks and see what happens. If not, I suppose I'll get either just the beef ravioli or a half-order of that and a half-order of the wild mushroom risoto.

On the Dream last week, I asked our server about the sea bass being missing from the regular menu and she pointed out that it was still on the tasting menu and that I could indeed order it ala carte. It came out a full size portion as it always was.

I will be disappointed next month on the Magic if this is not the case. I love the spaghetti vegetables served with it!

I was on the Magic a little over a week ago and got a full portion of the sea bass as my entree during one of my nights at Palo. I even had a conversation with the head chef, Silvio, about how wonderful it was. My server was Evandro and he will get you whatever you want.

There seem to be mixed messages people are getting. One reported getting a serving of something a la carte but that it was small - tasting size. One reported that a head server in Palo stated that those items could not be ordered a la carte. And now one reports being able to order it a la carte and getting a full portion size.

The tasting size for the lobster ravioli actually wouldn't bother me as I had planned to do like last time and get half an order of that and half of the beef ravioli. I'll ask in just over 3 weeks and see what happens. If not, I suppose I'll get either just the beef ravioli or a half-order of that and a half-order of the wild mushroom risoto.

Strange that there seems to be different experiences based on who your server is. What with all the confusion about the FP+ in the parks and now this I wish Disney would stop making so many changes!

I was on the Magic a little over a week ago and got a full portion of the sea bass as my entree during one of my nights at Palo. I even had a conversation with the head chef, Silvio, about how wonderful it was. My server was Evandro and he will get you whatever you want.

LOVE Evandro!!!!!!

(Just wanted to say that)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

So I assume there is lots of pasta with it being italian and I was wondering if you could gluten free pasta? Would it be worth it for me to do this since I am gluten free and dairy free?

My DH is gluten free and the executive chef on the Wonder came out to chat with us twice about his menu options. The gluten fee pasta was wonderful!

Let them know ahead of time and you'll have a plethora of options. Several dishes that included gluten were held off the line to be prepped gluten free.

We are scheduled to dine at Palo next week so I have enjoyed following this thread. Do people normally order a pasta dish (or half of one) as well as a meat/fish/chicken dish for the entree? Or pasta as the entree? The pastas look wonderful but we are also interested in the steak, lamb and veal. This will be our first cruise.

There seem to be mixed messages people are getting. One reported getting a serving of something a la carte but that it was small - tasting size. One reported that a head server in Palo stated that those items could not be ordered a la carte. And now two report being able to order it a la carte and getting a full portion size.

It's sounding like the inconsistency may be from ship-to-ship and not necessarily from sailing-to-sailing. From this anecdotal evidence, it sounds like Wonder is only allowing the pairing menu dishes to be served as the upcharge menu (it was made clear to me that my being served the tasting size portion of the branzino was an exception and I've sailed frequently and recently enough on that ship that it may have possibly contributed to the exception being allowed).

The Dream and Magic cruisers who have reported here, have reported full-size portions of the dishes being available as part of the regular dining experience.

Do we have any recent Fantasy cruisers who may be able to share their experience?

Unfortunately she's slipped out of that role for me. Our service was not up to par this past cruise and many of my favorite crew members have moved to other ships. I'm hoping it was a fluke but we'll have a good comparison as we're sailing all four ships in 2014.

That's a shame. I was B2B with the previous 5-night cruise and had excellent service across the board with the added plus of seeing many familiar crew members.
We must have seen each other at the cold and windy Castaway reception in back of Beach Blanket. I was the one desperately trying to keep my skirt down since I'd already changed for dinner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter