Question on One Time Use Points and Points Transfers

schultzywi

Earning My Ears
DVC Silver
I recently booked a spring break trip for next year and exhausted all of my available points for this year and next and was 5 points short for the reservation so I purchased one time use points. We are now looking to add one additional night, not necessarily to the same resort but I would prefer to stay at a DVC resort. If I find a points transfer posting here or on another site, am I able to transfer points into my account even though I have already purchased one time use points for the year or am I better off just booking the night through a broker?

If I find a points transfer posting here or on another site, am I able to transfer points into my account even though I have already purchased one time use points for the year?
Yes. One has nothing to do with the other.

Also, you can purchase up to 19 more OTU points for that UY.

Also, you can purchase up to 19 more OTU points for that UY.

Unless rules have changed, you cannot purchase another 19 OTU points. You are allowed one OTU purchase per use year. If you purchase less than 24, you cannot purchase more in another transaction.

OP, you can get a transfer of points but it might be easier to find a night through a broker

Last edited:
Unless rules have changed, you cannot purchase another 19 OTU points. You are allowed one OTU purchase per use year. If you purchase less than 24, you cannot purchase more in another transaction.
The rules were changed to allow multiple purchases during the UY until you reach the cap of 24 per UY.

The rules were changed to allow multiple purchases during the UY until you reach the cap of 24 per UY.

It seems the rules for the 24 OTU's keep changing as this would not be the first change. Is there somewere that actually lays out the actual rules applicable now?

On the member website under: Plan Vacations > Booking Guidelines > Need More Vacation Points (click 'Read More').

Thank you. So it appears that the following are key rules and, if not, let me know:

1. They are still available only for making reservations within the 7 month window.
2. You can purchase up to 24 in a use year and, contrary to prior rule, you can do multiple transactions (reservations) to get to that total.
3. You still can purchase only when making a reservation rather than buying them and using them later.
4. You can purchase them to add on to an already existing reservation (that was originally prohibited).
5. You can purchase them even if you have points in your use year (banked, current, or borrowed) that you could instead use (that is unclear from the new statement of the rules but seems to be allowed, and was prohibited under original rules, so I am not certain that has changed).
6. You can do a reservation using only OTUP's (that also seems to be allowed but is not clearly stated, so I am uncertain on that one too since it was prohibited under the old rules.)

Last edited:

Regarding your #4 point drubs, I pretty sure you could always add OTUP to an existing reservation at the 7 month mark, you just could and cannot replace the points in an existing reservation with OTUP.

Thank you. So it appears that the following are key rules and, if not, let me know:

1. They are still available only for making reservations within the 7 month window.
2. You can purchase up to 24 in a use year and, contrary to prior rule, you can do multiple transactions (reservations) to get to that total.
3. You still can purchase only when making a reservation rather than buying them and using them later.
4. You can purchase them to add on to an already existing reservation (that was originally prohibited).
5. You can purchase them even if you have points in your use year (banked, current, or borrowed) that you could instead use (that is unclear from the new statement of the rules but seems to be allowed, and was prohibited under original rules, so I am not certain that has changed).
6. You can do a reservation using only OTUP's (that also seems to be allowed but is not clearly stated, so I am uncertain on that one too since it was prohibited under the old rules.)
Regarding your #4 point drubs, I pretty sure you could always add OTUP to an existing reservation at the 7 month mark, you just could and cannot replace the points in an existing reservation with OTUP.
Thank you for the great summary!

For the OP, remember that if you do accept a transfer of points, unless those points are the same UY and resort as your contract, you will not see those points online and must call MS to use them.

Having problems finding the transfer points thread on DIS. I am assuming that is because it is on a DVC member only board to help filter out the fakers. Was curious to see how active it was, while trying to help the Disney Wife and I decide on jumping into ownership.

Never Mind, found the board. Not finding how to delete my now unnec satay post. Sorry

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter