Question on how to tip...

TKH

Mouseketeer
We are sailing on the Fantasy in a few weeks. As I did when we last sailed, I calculated the recommended tips and put the cash in little mini envelopes for each position. Then I recalled that tips are now added in automatically. Not a big deal, but we do cash so that we don't have a big credit card charge when we get home. Plus, I take an extra envelope of cash to add in as we see fit, so it's easy to adjust. I'd like to do that again, but I'm worried about asking to have the tips removed. Do the servers/hosts know this and think we won't be tipping them? Is it appropriate to tell them that we'll be tipping in cash? Or, I think we can hand the money over to guest services and still get the coupons and have no credit card charged. I don't know if I want to hand all that cash over and just hope it gets to them though, especially if we don't get the coupons until a few days later. I kind of like handing the servers/hosts the envelope of money, too. So, will they think we are shady by removing the tips? I can live with charging it if that's really best.

We are sailing on the Fantasy in a few weeks. As I did when we last sailed, I calculated the recommended tips and put the cash in little mini envelopes for each position. Then I recalled that tips are now added in automatically. Not a big deal, but we do cash so that we don't have a big credit card charge when we get home. Plus, I take an extra envelope of cash to add in as we see fit, so it's easy to adjust. I'd like to do that again, but I'm worried about asking to have the tips removed. Do the servers/hosts know this and think we won't be tipping them? Is it appropriate to tell them that we'll be tipping in cash? Or, I think we can hand the money over to guest services and still get the coupons and have no credit card charged. I don't know if I want to hand all that cash over and just hope it gets to them though, especially if we don't get the coupons until a few days later. I kind of like handing the servers/hosts the envelope of money, too. So, will they think we are shady by removing the tips? I can live with charging it if that's really best.

I don't know if they have to ability to know who has removed the auto tips or not. Either way, they won't whether you are going to tip or not until the last day when you either do or don't.

You can add cash to your onboard account at any time to pay down any charges.

Typically this is what happens, if you just leave the auto tip in place: at the end of the cruise you will receive with your nightly turn down service tip coupons and envelopes. Each coupon will indicate the name, position and amount of tip. You tear the coupons in half and place 1/2 in the co-responding envelope. At that time you can add additional cash, if you wish. This will appear on your credit card.

OR, you can remove the auto-gratuity by going to Guest Services and requesting it. In this case you will only receive the tip envelopes in your room to put cash in as you see fit.

OR, you can put cash down on your onboard account, and receive the coupons and envelopes. You can have Guest Services adjust the amounts that you will be giving each person, also. You will not have a credit card charge for gratuities, in this case.

I would just let the tips be charged to the account and then on the last night go to guest services and just pay down/payoff your account with cash. You will get vouchers to put in the envelopes and you can still add more cash to them if you want.

Or, just add cash to your account when you board to cover the tips that will be charged to the account. Either way would work.

MJ

Okay, thanks. I didn't know at what point they charge a credit card, if it's a certain day or at a certain dollar amount. I think I will just put the cash into our 'onboard account' right away and not even label it as going toward gratuities. Then, the tips can be charged however they do it and I don't have a big bill later. (We only use credit cards when necessary, anyway. We pay everything we can with cash as we then keep better tabs on what we're spending.) We have a few kids and we love the service, I don't want that compromised if they can see that we have removed the tips. That'll solve it.

Okay, thanks. I didn't know at what point they charge a credit card, if it's a certain day or at a certain dollar amount. I think I will just put the cash into our 'onboard account' right away and not even label it as going toward gratuities. Then, the tips can be charged however they do it and I don't have a big bill later. (We only use credit cards when necessary, anyway. We pay everything we can with cash as we then keep better tabs on what we're spending.) We have a few kids and we love the service, I don't want that compromised if they can see that we have removed the tips. That'll solve it.

Sounds like a plan!!!

MJ

How you tip should be the method you are most comfortable with. If the plan you worked out about putting cash on your onboard account works for you, then that's great. If you are still uncomfortable with it, and would rather remove the charged tips and hand out cash, then do it that way. The serving team does not know whether you have left the auto-gratuity in place or not until they open their tip envelopes. (The stateroom host is something else because they deliver the tip coupons/envelopes and I'm sure they peek to see if theirs has been adjusted.) Personally, we leave the auto-gratuity and add cash to the envelope.

The crew does get an accounting of it later so if they don't receive their tip coupons, they still see who tipped what -- but it is after the cruise.

Another option is to prepay the automatic gratuity before you sail. Then you can add extra cash to the envelopes at the end of the cruise as you see fit. This is my favorite way to handle it.

Happy sailing on the Fantasy. What a beauty she is.

BCV23 said:
Another option is to prepay the automatic gratuity before you sail. Then you can add extra cash to the envelopes at the end of the cruise as you see fit. This is my favorite way to handle it.

Happy sailing on the Fantasy. What a beauty she is.

This is my preferred method. I know I'm leaving at least the minimum amount and just add cash as needed to those who've gone above & beyond. Pre paying just makes it easier.

I actually just did this yesterday for our upcoming cruise....don't know why I didn't think to post that option...LOL!!!

MJ

They hit the CC when you get to a preset amount like $300 - can't remember. Any gift shop purchases or excursions are loaded to the account the day it happens. When the balance hits the predetermined amount, they charge the CC.

OBB requires an immediate charge. You can deposit cash ahead of time and that might be your best course of action.

Or keep the cash safe at home, and when that CC bill comes pay it off! Money comes from the same place regardless...

just keep in mind, if you give them the chit/piece of paper with the tip amount on it, you have done their banking for them. if you give them cash they need to go to the pursers office and deposit it. it takes time away from them. they don't like to keep money in their cabins and have little need for it most times. when they do need it they can always go to the pursers office and withdraw what they need.
the purser has their direction as to where they want the money to go so if they need it sent home, thats what happens.
so really, most times your not doing them a favor by leaving it all in cash. they are happy getting it but why go out of your way to get it off your account and waste your time just so they can go and put it back on their account and waste their time?
think about just leaving it the way it is and then adding to the envelope if you wish.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter