Question on embarkation photo?

ctc917

DIS Veteran
So my problem is this: on our last cruise we decided not to do the embarkation photo and while standing in that line I asked a CM if we could just go by the photo set up and I was told "yes, just go by" so we started to do just that but was stopped by another CM (who wasn't too happy with us doing that) and he told us we had to wait behind the line and couldn't walk by without taking a photo, so when he walked off we then slipped by, so my question is was I trying to do something I should of? I know not all people do this picture so for those of us who don't want this picture how do you get past everyone? Should I have waited in line with everyone else and when my turn came just say "no thank you".

Thanks for any help with this since our next cruise is coming up real soon and we are not looking to do embarkation photos then either.

ctc917

That person gave you false info. You do not have to take the embarkation photo and you do not have to stand in line just to bypass it.

it was probably someone from the photo staff, who push as many photos as possible so that you buy at the end. We never get the embarkation photo taken. Just by-pass if you lilke.

We were forced to do it twice as well. We had no intention of buying the picture and I learned on DIS that you can skip it. The first time I was told that the picture had to be taken for the KTTW card, eventhough I challenged the CM by saying that we already did that at check in. The second time I was told it was required again despite me saying I won't buy the picture and that we are return cruisers with our pictures already on file. My husband told me to stop fighting it and take the stupid picture to make DCL happy. We will see what happens again in a couple weeks but they really do push Shutters on people to the point I refuse to buy anything because they are so annoying.

I thought that you didn't have to take any pictures on the cruise except the id card of course and on our first cruises I was traveling with my family and didn't mind getting the picture but my last few DCL cruises were with friends or just 1 of my kids so I wasn't interested in the pictures.

It is nice to know it isn't just me that would like to bypass the photo op and get on to the ship. On our next cruise I will know that this is something that is ok for me to be doing and that others like to do this too.

Thanks for the help

Melissa S if you think about it when you return from your cruise in a few weeks I would love to hear how you made out getting my the embarkation photo my cruise isn't until the end of September..thanks

ctc917

The reason you 'need' to take the embarkation photo is to begin the face recognition for all your future pictures taken on board. They will scan you KTTW card when they take that first picture. Other pictures you have taken during the cruise will have the faces matched to the embarkation picture.

If you are absolutely certain you will not purchase any pictures on the cruise, then go ahead and skip the embarkation photo. If you skip, and change your mind later, make sure one of the first pictures you do take is one where they also take your KTTW card (seems half of the formal pictures ask for it). Tdhat will enable them to start matching going forward.

We haven't made embarkation pictures in several cruises, including last year on the Dream, and they still got all our pictures in the right place.

There was no line by the time we boarded but we just walked right by. No one said a word to us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter