Question on Disney ticket upgrade

jjnv

Mouseketeer
Hi all,

I have purchased 10 day park hoppers for my family. We will stay for 9 nights. I am not sure how many days we will use these tickets for. If we end up use just 4 days, will I be able to change the tickets to 7 day non-exp? I think the cost would be higher than my original tickets. But I am not sure if they would allow me to change to less days than the original tickets.

Thank a lot for your help,

Jane

I would just add the non-exp to the 10 day tickets you already have. Then you'll have extra days for your next trip. Still be cheaper than buying new tickets next time! (At least that's how I rationalize buying 10 day non-exp hoppers. LOL)

You may upgrade (not downgrade) your tickets within 14 days of first use. You can add the no-expiration option, but it is based on the original number of days on the ticket, not the days remaining. The cost to add no expiration to a ten day ticket is $213 per ticket, so you will have to decide if it is worth it based on the number of days you have left. If you only use four days, it would be worth it (a 6-day hopper is almost $300), but I wouldn't do it with one day left when you can buy a one day ticket for $75.

Where did you buy the tickets?...Underc*vertourist.com allows you to return tickets for a nominal fee! Can you return them and buy just what you need?...The tickets are always the BIG expense, but days added to a four day pass don't cost much.

IF you can return them and get 4 day passes for this trip, you can add days :teacher: if you find you want to spend more time in the parks at the guest relations window of the parks. (Between security and the entrance)

Maybe you can hold onto the tickets for a longer trip? :confused3

I hope you find a good resolution!:flower3:

Here are some prices for you. (All prices shown current gate not including 6.5% tax)

10 Day Hopper = $ 287 = $28.70 per day

10 Day Hopper with No Expire = $ 487 = $48.70 per day

7 Day Hopper with No Expire = $ 388 = $55.43 per day

4 Day Hopper = $ 269 = $67.25 per day

Note that the difference is cost between a 4 day hopper and a 10 day hopper is only $18.00. But I think that it is fairly unlikely that if you are there for ten days that you will only use four days of park entries.

Hi all,

Thanks for the suggestions. I am not sure what to do at this point. I booked two rooms. DH and I have tickets left from previous trips. The kids and my parents will be on new tickets. DH does not really like Disney. He said he would only want to go to water parks and play golf. So the kids and I would probably go to water parks with him for at least two days. Kids will also spend at least a day at DQ. I'd like to get the 10 day tickets for my parents so that they don't have to rush. But I am really not sure if they would go to each park for two days. I want to find out about the 7 day option since adding non-exp to 7 day is a lot less than 10 day. Here is what I found from Disney web site. The first answer seems to indicate no, the second yes as long as the price is higher.

Q. Can new tickets be upgraded once they're purchased?
A. Yes, the new Magic Your Way tickets can be upgraded before your vacation begins, or within the 14-day window you have to use the ticket after it's first used. Upgrades include extending the ticket length (i.e., adding more days) or adding any combination of Options: the Park Hopper® Option, the Water Park Fun & More Option*) and/or the No Expiration Option.

* Water Parks subject to seasonal or weather closures. Age restrictions may apply for access to certain facilities.

Q. Can I upgrade an existing ticket? Can a Park Hopper® ticket purchased before these new tickets were introduced be upgraded?
A. In general, you can upgrade to any type of ticket – provided the new ticket is of equal or greater value than the old ticket – by simply paying the difference. However, no refunds will be issued if the new ticket is of lesser value.

You might want to look at the Everything About WDW Tickets locked sticky in the TPA&S Forum. Especially the items bolded in the list below.

Post and Contents
1. This Table of Contents
2. Magic Your Way (MYW) Ticket Basics Including Definitions
3. Annual Passes and Water Park Tickets

4. Tickets Available Only to Florida Residents
5. Tickets Not Available to the General Public
6. Upgrading MYW Tickets (Not to Annual Passes)
7. Upgrading Tickets to Annual Passes
8. Dealing With Tickets Issued Prior to 1 January 2005 (Pre-MYW)
9. Children and Adults
10. Special Events
11. Comprehensive MYW Ticket Example
12. Hotel Card (Key To The World (KTTW))
13. Lost Tickets
14. Finger Scans
15. Frequently Asked Ticket Questions.
15A. Hopping Rules
15B. WPF&M With No Expire
15C. No Expire Upgrades

15D. Upgrading an Unused Ticket
15E. Upgrading Special Tickets
15F. Checking on Old Tickets
15G. Renewing Annual Passes (Including Renewal Vouchers)
15H. Upgrading Completely Used Tickets
16. Price List as of August 3, 2008
17. Comparison Chart of 2007 and 2008 Pricing.
18. Free On Your Birthday 2009 Promotion
19. Additional Birthday Promotion Details and Clarification
20. Information on Disney's Armed Forces Salute 2009

To get there directly, follow the link in my signature.

Hi all,

Thanks for the suggestions. I am not sure what to do at this point. I booked two rooms. DH and I have tickets left from previous trips. The kids and my parents will be on new tickets. DH does not really like Disney. He said he would only want to go to water parks and play golf. So the kids and I would probably go to water parks with him for at least two days. Kids will also spend at least a day at DQ. I'd like to get the 10 day tickets for my parents so that they don't have to rush. But I am really not sure if they would go to each park for two days. I want to find out about the 7 day option since adding non-exp to 7 day is a lot less than 10 day. Here is what I found from Disney web site. The first answer seems to indicate no, the second yes as long as the price is higher.

Q. Can new tickets be upgraded once they're purchased?
A. Yes, the new Magic Your Way tickets can be upgraded before your vacation begins, or within the 14-day window you have to use the ticket after it's first used. Upgrades include extending the ticket length (i.e., adding more days) or adding any combination of Options: the Park Hopper® Option, the Water Park Fun & More Option*) and/or the No Expiration Option.

* Water Parks subject to seasonal or weather closures. Age restrictions may apply for access to certain facilities.

Q. Can I upgrade an existing ticket? Can a Park Hopper® ticket purchased before these new tickets were introduced be upgraded?
A. In general, you can upgrade to any type of ticket – provided the new ticket is of equal or greater value than the old ticket – by simply paying the difference. However, no refunds will be issued if the new ticket is of lesser value.

Personally I wouldn't add no exp unless it was for a 10 day ticket. If you are considering ever going back it's the most cost effective thing to do. We just did this for our February trip. We bought the 10 day with water parks and no exp. We used 5 park days and 2 plus days. We still have 5 park days left and 8 plus features for our trip next February.

Hi all,
Thanks for the suggestions. I am not sure what to do at this point. I booked two rooms. DH and I have tickets left from previous trips. The kids and my parents will be on new tickets. DH does not really like Disney. He said he would only want to go to water parks and play golf. So the kids and I would probably go to water parks with him for at least two days. Kids will also spend at least a day at DQ. I'd like to get the 10 day tickets for my parents so that they don't have to rush. But I am really not sure if they would go to each park for two days. I want to find out about the 7 day option since adding non-exp to 7 day is a lot less than 10 day.

If you've already purchased the tickets, then you're pretty much stuck. As the pp's said, when you add the no expiration option to a ticket it's based on the original number of days and not the number of days remaining. So if you start with 10 day tickets, then you'll need to pay the full $210 (plus tax) to add the no expiration option whether you have 9 days remaining or 1 day remaining. If you haven't purchased tickets yet, then your best option is to buy shorter tickets (maybe even 4 day tickets) and use them. If you discover that you need more days, then add them (it's only $3 plus tax to add each additional day to a 4 day ticket).

You might also just want to consider letting the extra days expire. As Cheshire mentioned above, a 10 day expiring ticket is only $18 (plus tax) more than a 4 day expiring ticket. Even if you use 4 days and just let the rest expire then you're only wasting $18 (or less if you use more than 4 days). I'm not a big fan of wasting money, but considering that upgrading to a non expiring ticket would be $210 it might still be worth it.

Are your tickets part of a WDW package you have bought or did you just buy them separately? If they're part of a package and you're still outside the 45-day window, why don't you downgrade to 4 day ones w/ water park option for now? When you get there, you can add on whatever number of days needed for you or your parents. Before checking in, all the tickets in the package need to be the same, but after you check in, you can upgrade each ticket to whatever you want.

I was noticing on the " undercover" website that is had a 4 day MYW ticket and it would give you an additional 3 days free.....
I would assume I could pay the hopper fee as an upgrade at the park...
If I wanted to upgrade to non expire, would I pay the non expire fee on the 4 day purchase price or the 7 day purchase price???
Thanks for any help!

I was noticing on the " undercover" website that is had a 4 day MYW ticket and it would give you an additional 3 days free.....
I would assume I could pay the hopper fee as an upgrade at the park...
If I wanted to upgrade to non expire, would I pay the non expire fee on the 4 day purchase price or the 7 day purchase price???
Thanks for any help!

You would have a 7 day ticket - undercover tourist would pay the extra $9 for you to go form a 4 day ticket to a 7 day ticket. You would pay the price to upgrade a 7 day ticket. Adding the non expiration option to a 7 day ticket would be $110 (plus tax).

You could also add the park hopper option ($50 plus tax) at any time (within 14 days of the first use of the ticket)

HTH,
Brett

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter