Question on Child vs Adult DDP Credits...

abe_bb

Mouseketeer
I know I saw something on this a month ago... And was curious as to if anyone had any updates, seeing as we leave in 10 days and all :sunny:

So are "child credits' seperate from "adult credits" or are they still all lumped into one pool? Just curious, seeing as if we could pay our daughter's meal with cash, and use her points for adult meals... It would mean we could "extend" the life of our plan ;)

Thanks all!

abe_bb said:
I know I saw something on this a month ago... And was curious as to if anyone had any updates, seeing as we leave in 10 days and all :sunny:

So are "child credits' seperate from "adult credits" or are they still all lumped into one pool? Just curious, seeing as if we could pay our daughter's meal with cash, and use her points for adult meals... It would mean we could "extend" the life of our plan ;)

Thanks all!

Oh boy, here we go again. Okay I'll try to sum up everything about to happen....

A bunch of people will tell you that no you can't pay oop and extend the life. That is against the rules (this is true, it is a child credit)

But it will be pointed out that they haven't separated the credits so you can probably get away with it.

Then you will read that some have had no problem getting the kids adult meals using the kid credit.

But you will be told it all depends on the CM.

Some of us will complain about the plan.

Someone will close the thread.

The brochure that Disney is giving guests when they check in says you're not allowed to use child entitlements to purchase adult meals. The greater the number of guests who refuse to obey the rules the more likely Disney will wind up having to take actions to enforce the rule. Sammie has said actual division of credits will be sooner rather than later.

Why don't you just plan on following the rules? It might avoid having to go to a Plan B when you get to WDW.

Using a "child" credit because your child skips a meal maybe because you put your child in a kids club is one thing but paying OOP for all of the kids meals is just plain greedy.

frayedend said:
Oh boy, here we go again. Okay I'll try to sum up everything about to happen....

A bunch of people will tell you that no you can't pay oop and extend the life. That is against the rules (this is true, it is a child credit)

But it will be pointed out that they haven't separated the credits so you can probably get away with it.

Then you will read that some have had no problem getting the kids adult meals using the kid credit.

But you will be told it all depends on the CM.

Bicker will tell you it is against the rules again, and immoral and bad etc...

Some of us will complain about Bicker.

Some of us will complain about the plan.

Someone will close the thread.

I am going to cut this and save it so I can post it over and over again. Maybe that way, the debate won't even get started. After all, you just said all there is to say.
:lmao:

still not sure about the last item happening. I know it's worthless but I'll jump in anyway just to say. It doesnt seem that anything official has changed to make it any differnt than you are expecting. So have fun. Hope you have a great trip.

You've walked into a mine field. Quick summary:

1) Disney has officially clarified the rule that you can't use child credits for adult meals
2) Disney has not changed the computer system to separate the credits
3) Some CM's are following procedures to enforce the no child credits as adult credit rule. A few posters have had trouble with the "pay OOP for child and use that credit for adult" plan.
4) Any such procedures are inconsistently applied and many posters are getting away with it
5) Disney is continuously tinkering with the enforcement procedures - things will probably be different when you get there - they may even have separate child / adult credits in the system.
6) Some DIS members like to debate the morality of breaking rules that aren't 100% enforced.

salmoneous said:

1) Disney has officially clarified the rule that you can't use child credits for adult meals
3) Some CM's are following procedures to enforce the no child credits as adult credit rule. A few posters have had trouble with the "pay OOP for child and use that credit for adult" plan.
4) Any such procedures are inconsistently applied and many posters are getting away with it
5) Disney is continuously tinkering with the enforcement procedures - things will probably be different when you get there - they may even have separate child / adult credits in the system.
6) Some DIS members like to debate the morality of breaking rules that aren't 100% enforced.

Isn't that what I said :rotfl2: :rotfl: :cool1: :cool1:

Here is MTC on this but you can decide for yourself. Nothing has changed yet but the free dining doesn't start until Aug.13. If Disney is going to do anything it will probably be then. Until then, I think it is foolish to speculate on what you can do right now.

I think one problem we're all having is that there haven't been a whole lot of people dining on the DDP reporting back lately. Those who have reported they had no trouble doing things we know for a fact Disney doesn't care about...so that really doesn't help much with assessing the lay of the land.

We DO know that using child credits for adult meals is against the rules.

When you arrive, you will be given a 5-page brochure telling you how and where to use the plan, and one of the things it will tell you (rather poorly, IMHO) is no, you can't use kids credits for adults meals. We've also heard anecdotal accounts saying the CM at checkin took extra time to 'splain to them that they could not use child credits for adult meals. And finally, we've heard other anecdotal reports that the CMs in at least some of the restaurants have received "training" in the DDP ahead of free dining.

The question of whether you can "get away with it" depends, IMHO. I can think of at least two ways you could be stopped, and I'm sure smarter people than I who work in the hospitality industry could think of more.

The first line of defense would be the server simply saying "no." I have no doubt they would now say "no" if you had a kid with you, had a 2A/1C card, and tried to purchase three adult meals on the DDP, for example. They have other options, including all-in/all-out where everyone at the table is either on DDP or OOP. That's a tough one for the servers, but it is an option. They could also say everybody gets charged a credit whether or not they order, which is what they already do at most character meals.

The other obvious option would be to segregate the child and adult credits in the computer system. I've heard that is being done; I have no idea when it will be in place. I'd bet the farm on January 1, I expect by Thanksgiving, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's in place by the start of Free Dining. I have no inside info on implementation, just looking at their business model and making a semi-educated guess. When they implement that, it will eliminate one problem...which, I have every confidence, will be replaced almost imediately by a new problem.

[BTW, if you don't appreciate how somone responds to your post (or someone else's) just go to your User CP above and put the turkey on your Ignore List...Like This! They'll never bother you again.]

I'll go ahead and quote bicker on this one:

I've said many times that that really just doesn't matter. It isn't the guest's responsibility to be worried about Disney's revenues. The guest's responsibility is know what they're buying, and then use it in accordance with its terms and conditions.

You are paying for a child's meal. You may purchase a child's meal with those credits.

salmoneous said:

Has anyone heard if they will change the computer system to show separate credits? I am considering changing our 8 year old dds package to the adult rate so she will not be the only one having to order from the childs menu. I checked with CRO and it would cost a little over $200 for the change. I am wondering if any of the cms would not believe that we paid for the adult plan for her if it does not show.

abe_bb said:
... It would mean we could "extend" the life of our plan ;)
Actually, it wouldn't. Your plan starts at checkin and ends at midnight after check-out. You can't extend it beyond that.

If you could do as you want, you might be able to enjoy a signature dining instead of a regular meal. :cool1:

Problem is, there are a lot easier ways to accomplish that. Just eat your big meal one day at one of the "heavy" CS places like Cosmic Ray's. Plenty of food for a big meal, TSs saved, and signature now available without breaking any rules, having your schedule revolve around scrounging DDP credits, or running the risk of being disappointed.

The other thing you might gain is being able to eat more than one TS per day. :confused3

YMMV, but an awful lot of people say one problem with DDP is there's too much food. Do I really want too much, plus more? :sad2: Other people say the problem with DDP is it forces you to focus on eating when you should be focused on having a good time. Do I really want to sacrifice park time for an extra meal I sure as heck don't need in the first place? :sad2:

I've said many times that that really just doesn't matter. It isn't the guest's responsibility to be worried about Disney's revenues

Absolutely right, it's Disney's responsibility to worry about Disney's revenues. So feel free to use the credits anyway that Disney allows you to.

When you arrive, you will be given a 5-page brochure telling you how and where to use the plan, and one of the things it will tell you (rather poorly, IMHO) is no, you can't use kids credits for adults meals.
I dunno - "Adults may not use child entitlements" is pretty clear to me :teeth:

Absolutely right, it's Disney's responsibility to worry about Disney's revenues. So feel free to use the credits anyway that Disney allows you to.
But be prepared to be allowed to use the credits (entitlements) in accordance with Disney's written policy.

Now, just my opinion/observation: If the OP is leaving in ten days from the original post, that'd be August 13, aka (in most cases) getting the Free Dining Promotion. I'm not sure I get the point behind over-maximizing something that's already free.

The guest's responsibility is know what they're buying, and then use it in accordance with its terms and conditions.

OP - Follow these instructions:

1.) Tell your server that you are on the DDP before you order.
2.) Let the server explain your options to you.
3.) Enjoy your trip.

Because there are many inconsistencies between guests and what was allowed/encouraged and what was not - I would let your server be your guide. If the child/adult entitlements are not separated and a server allows/encourages you to pay OOP and save that credit - consider it PIXIE DUST pixiedust: On the other hand, if at the next meal a server states something different - don't be upset. Just go with the flow and be prepared to make up for the difference OOP.

Have a great trip. :)

P.S. RUN, RUN VERY FAST from the morality debate. You CANNOT and WILL NOT win either way.

On the other hand, if at the next meal a server states something different - don't be upset. Just go with the flow and be prepared to make up for the difference OOP.
This is really great advice. Until these loopholes in the plan are worked out through cleaner methods, it is best not to rely on anything other than the big picture items: You will get fed a good amount, and most people find that it's more than well-worth-it.

kaytieeldr said:
I dunno - "Adults may not use child entitlements" is pretty clear to me :teeth:
I agree, and if they'd said that, it would have been much clearer. But what they actually said (probably because the marketing kids were trying to soften it) is:

Q. Can adults use child meal entitlements?
A. Sorry, meal entitlements can not be shared between adults and children age 3-9.

That actually sounds more like adults and kids can't eat off each other's plates, which is not what they meant. It would have been much clearer if they'd said:

Q. Can adults use child meal entitlements?
A. No.

In any event, I think the best advice is above -- ask the server and enjoy your trip. :banana:

Personally, I could care less if people want to break the DDP rules and get an adult meal for a child credit. If they want to break the rules, that's their business. But I do have a problem with people saying someting is OK and/or "allowed" just because there isn't an enforcement mechanism to stop it.
ITA. :thumbsup2 There simply needs to be a minimal level of societal respect, even if the best we can hope for is an acknowledgement that these actions are self-motivated transgression. At least with that, honest people who are confused by this very confusing situation, can readily tell which actions are appropriate and which are not, given their concern about their own integrity.

popcorn:: popcorn::

I would like to see Disney be able to change their credit system in the computer to adult vs. child. I find it pretty amazing that they have the technology to add dining to the room keys (re: room keys & in addition to park passes, and mostly importantly being able to add a credit card for shopping purposes, etc..and being able to tell which person has charged what, but they haven't added the child dining credit)

I am not complaining, only saying that it would help to keep order :sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter