Question for wifes

It depends on her personality. Many women like the spa thing, but for my part, I'd be disappointed if I were treated to a day at the spa. Come on, I'm at Disney World! I want to explore the parks and ride the rides and see all the nifty attractions! But if you know for sure your wife would appreciate a spa break, go for it.

I'd be happy if my husband took me to Victoria & Albert's, or some other really nice restaurant as a surprise. Or gave me a high quality piece of jewelry, or arranged for the delivery of flowers and/or a specially decorated cake. Actually, a cake would be wonderful, as long as it wasn't so big that we couldn't finish it.

. . .I do not think the wishes and illuminations cruises are romantic personally. We did the Breathless and a Wishes cruise when we went there on our honeymoon, and while they were great fun, I didn't find them romantic. I found the presence of the boat driver made it uncomfortable to show any signs of affection, and I felt obligated to talk to the drivers, because they talk to you..

I kind'a agree with schoen - I surprised DH with a Wishes cruise for his 40th b-day. Although our boat driver was fantastic, he did talk to us quite a bit. DH & I both felt obligated to talk to him too!

It was a very nice experience, but not very "intimate" if you are looking for a romantic moment.

Just my $0.02 :goodvibes

I would love if DH planned any kind of surprise for me in WDW. It could be anything at all, just so long as he took the reins & did the legwork to plan it.

I do all the planning & try to plan something romantic & fun for us each trip. This trip, I am planning a Carriage Ride & the going to see Yee Ha Bob at ROR one night.

Other things that we have done that we found romantic were special dinners with walks attached to them - like eating dinner at GF & walking the Path over to the Poly to watch Wishes from the Beach, dinner at Jiko followed by sitting by the firepit afterwards, dinner at Flying Fish or BlueZoo with a walk around Crescent Lake afterwards.

Other things we liked were doing the Monorail Crawl, splitting resorts to AKL Savannah view, hot tub sitting, having some wine sitting on our balcony, biking at Fort Wilderness, doing the Backstage Tours...

I love the Spa at home, but I'm not so sure that I would love doing that in WDW unless DH scheduled a Couple's Treatment - that I would love.

Whatever you decide, she's going to love it because you were thoughtful enough to do something so sweet for her. Kudos!

One of the sweetest but simplest things DH did on one of our trips was a surprise purchase. He managed to sneak away from me and buy that Mickey & Minnie bride and groom figurine during one of our anniversary trips. He used resort delivery, and while I was showering he went down and picked it up. When I got out of the shower it was waiting for me on my pillow. Here's the thing: I normally HATE froo-froo stuff, especially figurines, but this brought tears to my eyes. I smile every time I see it. Just something smaller to do that wouldn't cost too much but would have great meaning.

I wouldn't be too into a spa treatment as well due to the time issue. I would squeal like crazy if DH surprised me with a V&A dinner, or just a signature dinner. One thing I love to see on here are the people who arrange for the slipper desserts (or the specialty cakes, but I still think the slipper has the edge :thumbsup2) but I think that's only doable at GF dinners and the Castle.

It depends on her personality. Many women like the spa thing, but for my part, I'd be disappointed if I were treated to a day at the spa. Come on, I'm at Disney World! I want to explore the parks and ride the rides and see all the nifty attractions! But if you know for sure your wife would appreciate a spa break, go for it.

I'd be happy if my husband took me to Victoria & Albert's, or some other really nice restaurant as a surprise. Or gave me a high quality piece of jewelry, or arranged for the delivery of flowers and/or a specially decorated cake. Actually, a cake would be wonderful, as long as it wasn't so big that we couldn't finish it.

This is my opinion, too. Heck, I have a $150 gc for an upscale local spa sitting on my desk for 2 years now! We have SO many simple day spas here, that cost less. If I want a pedicure, I'm heading down to an asian nail salon and for $23, get the full package, including neck rub. I'd love a nice, romantic dinner.

:thumbsup2 I agree completely! I love a spa, but I'd be crazy sitting there thinking of all the other things I could be doing. There are plenty of spas at home! Unless, of course, you're going for a very long time and a break would be nice.

I think a cake would be nice, or the slipper desserts, although I have heard that sometimes they are delivered in a less than romantic fashion - so be prepared for that. You can do Private Dining at some of the resorts where they will set up a dinner for you on the beach (not sure if you have to be a resort guest...). I think the Wishes dessert party would be great.

What I'm doing for my wife on our trip is giving her a day to herself. I'll be taking the kids to the Water Park for the day, so she can have a whole day to just do what she wants. She'll probably sit around the pool at the hotel, and read for a while, or just put around the grounds. Whatever she wants without me or the kids to bother her.

*delete* sorry, was hitting "back" to get to the main page and it reposted! Whoops :)

I vote for the Breathless II Illuminations cruise, provided the boat is back in service by then (or ever:sad1:) - very nice for 2! (The Breathless had an unfortunate accident late last year? early this year?)

What is that? I have never heard of it before

This... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrYHYplWVjQ
is the Breathless II. :thumbsup2

I also second the Dine with an Imagineer suggestion, dinner at California Grill (Contemporary) during fireworks or V & A's. For V & A's you both will need appropriate attire.

I love the tours. The ultimate is Backstage Magic, but they are all great.
http://allears.net/btp/tours.htm
http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/tours.htm

Have a magical time! pixiedust:

I agree with Leota. I would be tickled if DH did any kind of planning for anything at all. I'm not talking about him just getting a notion and dragging me along with him for him to see what he can find to surprise me with once we get there. I'm talking about real, honest to goodness planning ANYTHING. It wouldn't matter if it were a nice dinner, a few hours at the spa, or a behind the scenes tour. If he did actual research, made the plans, and made the reservations, that would be gift enough in and of itself. Just to have someone else take the reins for a while without driving us off of a cliff or into a wall would be nice.

You could do a private dinner at the Grand Floridian on the beach or the balcony of a room during the Fireworks. You can also do a private dessert party during illuminations. The prices are pretty reasonable too. There's information about it on the Restaurant board with contact info for both.
Check out www.disneyflorist.com too. They have some great things they can do to decorate your room or put together baskets to be in your room.

We try to do one "special" thing each trip, since we always go during the week of our anniversary. Last time we did La Nouba...this trip I booked the Spirit of Aloha dinner show at the Poly.

I agree with all the PP about the spa while it would be wonderful I would rather DH gave me that at home would be more meaningful.

As for a surprise I too would say getthe disney florist to set up something in the room. They do beautiful packages of romantic things from flowers to balloons etc. I would love DH to set up something like that for me.

DH surprised me with the pick a pearl setting as well. We went to have a look and he then said I could have a go it was great. I wear my necklace all the time and it just makes me smile.

Whatever you choose I hope your wife enjoys it. :goodvibes

I agree with Leota. I would be tickled if DH did any kind of planning for anything at all. I'm not talking about him just getting a notion and dragging me along with him for him to see what he can find to surprise me with once we get there. I'm talking about real, honest to goodness planning ANYTHING. It wouldn't matter if it were a nice dinner, a few hours at the spa, or a behind the scenes tour. If he did actual research, made the plans, and made the reservations, that would be gift enough in and of itself. Just to have someone else take the reins for a while without driving us off of a cliff or into a wall would be nice.

AMEN!!!!:angel:

marriage is like school..when you first start dating it is laike grade school, as you start learning about your new friend, you get married is like college, as you bet to know more and more. A good man(or woman) keeps the process going into "grad school"
Show her you have been watching and learning about HER and what she likes and doesnt like.
There are many things we can all suggest, but we are not her.
If my husband took me to Victoria and Alberts I would be mad, I hate that type of dining and it shows he knows nothing about me and cares little to learn about me

so what is your wife like? what things does she enjoy or not enjoy?

Gee, if DH were to surprise me, there are SEVERAL things he could do!

1. spa treatment
2. carriage ride
3. hot air balloon at DTD
4. dinner at a signature restaurant
5. get a special piece of jewelry somewhere (doesn't have to be expensive, could be as simple as a little bracelet/anklet - as long as it means something - maybe give it to her in a special place where the two of you take a moment together on a bench, or by Cindy's fountain, etc.)

HTH!!

Our last vacation we had two fabulous Signature meals. I think our best meal was California Grill during Wishes, however, our other meal was at Jikos and that was just as good!! Either of those I would :love:!!!

We went for our 2nd Wedding Anniversary, and my birthday 4 days later almost 16 years ago so there was not as many items easily available. My dh road multiple busses for over 2 hours to bring me a vase of 2 dozen red roses. I took the vase on the airplane because we left to go home the day after! LOL The flight attendants thought that was so romantic. I did too!

I think anything YOU plan for her she will appreciate that you planned it for her and will enjoy it!!

You could always propose to her again in front of the castle. Kinda cheesy, but super sweet. Heck, I would be happy for just a late night swim with my husband in one of the quiet pools.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter