Question for those who've cruised on the Wonder...

Off to Neverland 7

DIS Veteran
Just got off the Dream (many people seem to not like the Dream.) Considering sailing the Wonder next year.

I'm reading many reports of those who absolutely LOVE the Wonder. I know she's an older ship that hasn't undergone the upgrades like the Magic.. What is it about the Wonder that makes her everyone's favorite ship?

The smaller size makes everything seem more relaxed and cozy. The staff is phenomenal. They make or break a cruise for me. I have not had really a bad staff experience, but it seems that you get to know them all more on the Wonder. Of course, the cruises I have taken on the Wonder are 7 days and those are much more relaxed. There is a little more "wear and tear" in the rooms, but it did not detract from my experience. Now, I do not care for Beach Blanket buffet due to its smaller size and layout on the Wonder. I just tried to hit it at less busy times if I needed it.

I've sailed on the Fantasy and the Wonder and I loved them both for different reasons. The gee-whiz factor on the Fantasy with all the latest technology was very cool. However, I felt the service was better on the Wonder. Both ships had staffs that would bend over backwards to help you, but on the Wonder I felt it felt a little more personal. I probably wouldn't have even noticed the difference had I sailed the Fantasy first.

We also sailed the Dream first. The kids clubs were better on the Dream in terms of lab and club being connected for our age kids, but the staff were friendlier and service was better on the wonder IMHO. we ran into the cruise director on the wonder everywhere and he always took the time to chat with everyone. I never once saw the cruise director on the dream other than when he announced the shows nightly because the ship is so much bigger. Because there are fewer CMs and guests, it felt like we got to know more people and people were more apt to chat. It was also easier to run up and down the stairs as there are fewer of them! We made lots of trips up to get snacks and drinks from our room because the trek wasn't too bad.

We've only been on the Wonder, but loved it. It's easy to reach everything, even with arthritic knees. It's very comfortable. We're going to be back on her for Hawaii this Fall.

Thanks for asking this. We've been on the Fantasy once and we have the Wonder booked for next Jan. I was concerned that I would be disappointed, but feeling better now.

Personally I didn't like the wonder. I have a disability and use a scooter. The Wonder isn't very accessible. I couldn't go anywhere on my own. Stateroom doors aren't automatic. The door ledges are too high for the scooter to go over. I felt like I was at my husbands mercy anytime I wanted to go somewhere

One word answer: service!

We've only been on the Wonder (twice) and the Fantasy. The Fantasy is beautiful, new and full of lots of new "toys". But while the service was perfectly fine, it didn't come close to the service level on the Wonder in our opinion. It's not that our needs weren't met on the Fantasy, because they were (we're pretty low maintenance). But there wasn't the personalization we felt on the Wonder. I think that the smaller size ship and lesser number of passengers just lends itself to a different, more intimate experience. We will be on the Magic this summer and I'm hoping for a similar experience.

I agree with the PP that the Wonder's Beach Blanket Buffet needs a revamp. The cafeteria style lines are not nearly as convienent as the food stations set up in Cabanas. Interestingly, though, we enjoyed the food in Beach Blanket more than we did in Cabanas. BB wasn't anything special, just typical buffet fare, but Cabanas on the Fantasy was really subpar in our opinion. By the end of the cruise, even our teenage son (who will eat ANYTHING!!) was begging not to have to go back there.

I'd sail on the Wonder again in a heartbeat!

Boyfriend and I have been on two cruises -- one on the Wonder and one on the Dream. We both prefer the Wonder. It just feels more cozy. The boyfriend described it as feeling like a home away from home, while the dream seemed more chaotic and "hotel" like.

For what it is worth, the only thing that disappoints me about the Wonder is the lack of a adult water slide.

I have only been on the Dream and Wonder. Our whole family loves the Wonder. We are about to go on our third Wonder cruise. Excellent service, kids like the clubs better, easier to get around ship. I agree that Beach Blanket Buffet is not as nice but I would say for me it is the only negative on the ship. Looking forward to the new renovated rooms on the Wonder, it was starting to need it. They do take excellent care of the ship, constantly cleaning, painting, etc... As previous posters said you get to know the staff better. We had coffee with the cruise director on our last cruise. I do not miss the bells and whistles of the newer ship at all.

I am looking forward to our first Wonder Cruise next year. It will be the only one we haven't been on after our upcoming Magic cruise is over.

I have been on the Wonder twice, and to be honest was really bored with her the second time. I have the Fantasy booked for Sept. With that said, I can't really say since that's all I cruised with Disney.

As for service, I have nothing to complain about. All the staff have been excellent except the front desk when we couldn't dock at castaway. Poor things where highly stressed and not a smile anywhere.

It's all so subjective as you can see :) I've been on the Dream five times and to me, she has the best crew. I think that has a lot to do with I "know" some of them and they have recognized me and that amazes me as I've cruised with my family on the Dream, a girls cruise, and My Mom so it's been a different group with me. I know the Dream recently ranked at the top in the cruise critic review polls (hope it's ok to mention the site) and even beat or at least tied with the Fantasy.

I love all the ships which would include the Wonder so my advice - go with what year heart desires and try them all out :) The Wonder is indeed special and has an amazing crew and we've been on her twice now. However this past cruise in December I'd say the servers ranked at the bottom of what we've had (not bad by any means) so again - it all just depends.

Heather

Out of 8 cruises, 5 have been on the Wonder and it remains my favorite ship. We enjoyed the Dream and Fantasy, but the Wonder is like coming home for us. The smaller size makes it easier to get around the ship. Opps, forgot something in the room on the way to the show? Not nearly as far to go back on the Wonder ;)

The dining rooms have less people so they do not feel as hectic to me. The servers don't seem as rushed and have more time to socialize and get to know you. Our service on the Dream was not really good (but it was a few months after the maiden voyage so I chalked that up to the servers still getting the routine down). The servers are the Fantasy were great but they messed up a lot. We just rolled with it because we liked them and again, it seems like they have so much more area to cover running back and forth to the kitchen that there wasn't as much time to be social.

One thing I like about the Wonder is that the CMs really seem to have pride in the ship. Even ones that left to go work on the Fantasy ended up coming back to the Wonder. We see the same ones there all the time so that adds to that coming home feeling.

The Wonder is a great ship. We were on it last year and missed hurricanes and tropical storms and she held up great. We are going back this fall.

We've been on the Wonder three times and the Magic twice. We love them both for their size and the intimacy. The CMs get to know you better. It is less crowded. The pools on the Dream and Fantasy are the same size, with twice as many passengers. No, thank you.

The adult host, Bingo/entertainment staff, and servers are the best on the Wonder IMO. Of course, David is gone now and CMs can change ships haha. But they really did take extra time with us and treat us with a spectacular level of care.

I have been on the Wonder 4 times and the Magic once- haven't yet ventured to the Dream class ships. I'm sure the bells and whistles of the dream class ships are awesome, but the Wonder feels like home to me! I think the that Cadillac Lounge is adorable, love the adult pool area, and have always had very good and friendly service.

I have nothing bad to say about the wonder but what is all of this talk about "it's so much easier to navigate or get to places", I have seen this statement on many other threads. Unless you are truly disabled or incredibly lazy, how "hard" is it to get one from side of ship to other? This is a cruise ship for heavans sake where everything is located within a 5 minute walk. What would you do in a place like Disney world where it takes 30 mins just get somewhere before you even see an attraction? This statement fascinates me ..

Out of 8 cruises, 5 have been on the Wonder and it remains my favorite ship. We enjoyed the Dream and Fantasy, but the Wonder is like coming home for us. The smaller size makes it easier to get around the ship. Opps, forgot something in the room on the way to the show? Not nearly as far to go back on the Wonder ;)

The dining rooms have less people so they do not feel as hectic to me. The servers don't seem as rushed and have more time to socialize and get to know you. Our service on the Dream was not really good (but it was a few months after the maiden voyage so I chalked that up to the servers still getting the routine down). The servers are the Fantasy were great but they messed up a lot. We just rolled with it because we liked them and again, it seems like they have so much more area to cover running back and forth to the kitchen that there wasn't as much time to be social.

One thing I like about the Wonder is that the CMs really seem to have pride in the ship. Even ones that left to go work on the Fantasy ended up coming back to the Wonder. We see the same ones there all the time so that adds to that coming home feeling.

I agree with all of this. Especially the part about the cast members having pride in the ship. They seem more like a family and many want to remain on or come back to that ship.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter