• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Question for those who have done a Priceline.com bid for motel

Baseballmom40

Earning My Ears
I know that Priceline says that they only guarantee double occupancy and that you need to call the hotel directly if you have more than two people. Has anyone ever been turned down by a motel to add more people? If so, what happens? I imagine you are stuck paying for the room. Also, are you allowed five people in a room? If not, and you ask for two rooms, are they automatically adjoining? Thanks for all the help - we're leaving Friday.

I really don't know the answer to your question. I have used Priceline 2 times for a room, but, the 1st time only had 3 people and this time 4.

I suggest going to Priceline.com and sending an Email to their Customer Service department. I recently had a question for them, and they responded very promptly.

We used priceline.com to book a room and ended up having to pay for that room and a higher price for another because they would only allow 4 to a room. They also did not have any adjoining rooms available upon check-in, so we were in different areas of the hotel. I wouldn't use them again unless it was just for 2 adults and one child or something like that--just my opinion!

Karen

We got the Dolphin through Priceline back in August and we had 5 in the room. Me and my DH and 3 kids, one being an infant in a crib. We had no problems with this arrangement. I believe if you bid on a 4 star in the WDW vicinity you would get a hotel that allows at least 4 in a room. Although I guess they could possibly give you a king bed. We had air mattresses for 2 of our kids and a crib for the other so we requested a king bed. You might want to check out the priceline website hosted by TravelSheryl to get more info. Just do a search for her name and you should be able to get the link to the website. It also has free bonus money links to use when bidding.

I have bid on Priceline many times and have always been okay with the properties they have given me. But just when you think you have it all figured out they will add a hotel that does not fit your needs. I threw away $200 last weekend because the hotel they gave me would only accomodate 2 people. I spent several days begging them for help and received only the standard "Priceline rooms are only guaranteed for 2 people". The hotel was not helpful and would not even upgrade me for a fee! I do NOT reco mmend using Priceline unless you can afford to lose the money. I have always thought they were great, but they just lost a customer!! If they had any way for you to figure it out beforehand, it would be fine. They don't and when you bid, you pay...that's it! I tried everything to get a refund (ACTUALLY JUST TRIED TO GET CHANGED TO A PROPERTY THAT WOULD ACCOMODATE US) and I will now dispute it on my credit card statement, but I doubt it will do me any good. Bidding is a contract and you can't get out of it!! Okay for 2, but not for a family!

PirateJacksMom

'71-Fort Wildern ess
'72-Comtemporary
'80,'85,'86,'93-offsite
'92-Dixie Landings
'95-Grand Floridian
'99-Contemporary
'99-Vero Beach
99/00 New Years Eve Dixie Landings
2000-Poly Concierge
Nov. 11 2000 7 Day DCL!
Oct. 27 2001 7 Day Halloween Cruise!!
o

[This message was edited by piratejacksmom on 01-04-01 at 05:04 PM.]

Piratejacksmom,

How many stars was the hotel that you received? I'm curious. My family is facing the same delema. Do we bid on a room and hope that it will accomodate four, or should we go another route? I thought if we stuck with a four star, we would be okay. It sounds like this isn't the case.

Thanks for the info.

Twirlywig

I have used priceline successfully for my family of 4 many times. There was one time that I booked a hotel in St. Louis and they only had a room with a double bed. I explained our situation of having 4 people to them and they were so nice! They called me back and said they had transferred our reservation to the Ritz Carlton at no additional cost. So.. we had a $50.00 a night stay at the Ritz and loved it! I don't think this is something that happens frequently but I have found hotels to be very willing to accomodate the 4 of us :)

We ran into this problem just last week. I bid on a Jacksonville 3* and got Homestead Village for 12/night. When I called they said they only had king beds available to priceline, but for $20 I could upgrade to 2 double beds. We had Wyndham Orlando for 7 nights at 15/night and it was wonderful. I signed up for Wyndham by request and sent them an email for a complimentary upgrade with 2 doubles. The room was great! We even had the little office area off to the side so that my DH could hook up his computer. On the way home we stayed at the Wyndham Garden in Charlotte for 25/night, but the next morning we got a bill under the door for $40. DH went to front desk and they said it was the extra bed charge that they only have to accomodate 2 people through priceline and since we had 4 (2 boys, 9 & 11) we would have to pay the extra fee. DH told him that we were W-B-R members and they waived the fee. I called priceline and the man said that it states very clearly that the rooms accomodate 2 people.

The best advice someone gave to me was if bidding less than $20, bid for 2 rooms, call the hotel immediately and get the rooms close together. Also, join their "club" if one's available.

Good Luck!

My bid was for a 3 * in Chicago. I seriously doubt you would have problems in Orlando, but I encourage you to please not count on Priceline for help if the property will not accomodate you. I, too, thought that I would have an opportunity to change if t he hotel would not accomodate us, after all, Priceline would not want to lose my business. Not the case, I asked for help, I even offered to change properties for a higher price, but they would not help me. After days of emails and repeated calls and be gging and pleading, the hotel finally agreed to let me have 2 connecting rooms for one night when I had paid for 4 nights! Although the property was new, it had a terrible smell in one of the rooms, no room service, no restaurant and no pool. I was alwa ys pleased in the past, but this time I learned my lesson. If it is for 2 fine, for a family, forget it!! For $200 for one night we sure could have stayed somewhere a lot nicer without Priceline!! Again, Orlando is probably a different story since it i s a family oriented area, but I would use great caution!!

PirateJacksMom

'71-Fort Wilderness
'72-Comtemporary
'80,'85,'86,'93-offsite
'92-Dixie Landings
'95-Grand Floridian
'99-Contemporary
'99-Vero Beach
2000-Poly Con cierge
Nov. 11 2000 7 Day DCL!
o

I have not posted on this board for several weeks now because there was a small group that was offended by the straightforward no nonsense nature of my posting style. I was asked by one of the Moderators of this board to reconsider my position as she said that I provided valuable info. here. I remained firm in my decision...until now, because it really pains me to see inaccurate defamatory info. posted about any person or company. I am in NO WAY affiliated with Priceline.

Priceline is ABUNDANTLY clear that when you bid for a hotel stay that they guarantee only double occupancy (2 adults). Double occupancy means two people in one room. It does not guarantee two beds. In fact, no hotel that I am aware of will guarantee two beds. They take a request but they do not offer a guarantee.

As others have posted here from time to time, and which I wholeheartedly agree, if those who don't read the rules continue to try to get refunds from Priceline, you are just jeopardizing a fantastic program for everyone else who does read the rules and agrees to them before they place their initials on Priceline's website saying they agree to the rules. Anything to the contrary is simply a copout and trying to place blame elsewhere and not accepting responsibility for your own actions.

Secondly, the Homestead Village is rated 2* by Priceline. Crystalwv, you did not bid for a 3* in Jacksonville when you got the Homestead Village, because you posted your winning bid to the board I host. http://pub4.ezboard.com/fpricelineandexpediabiddingothercitieseastern13ofus.showMessage?topicID=134.topic

In my role as the Administrator of the Priceline and Expedia Bidding Forum, I have on countless occasions helped our members dispute legitimate problems which resulted from glitches in Priceline's system. I do this on my own time without any remuneration. I will never entertain disputing anything that was as a result of someone not reading the rules. To think that someone would legally dispute a credit card charge that they agreed to goes beyond my realm of reason.

Dear Travelsheryl,

I have read many of your posts and used your web site. Please continue to post. There are a large number of us that appreciate your advice and expertise. I remember reading the post where someone chewed on you, and frankly, I couldn't find anything in your manner that was offensive. Thanks for your work and your time.

Sincerely,

Twirlywig

You are correct. I asked you to stay because I know that you have much information to share.
People just to have a very hard time understanding the Priceline concept. Perhaps a little Primer would be in order?
Thank you...

<font face="papyrus"><font size=2><font color=blue>BethR
Budget BoardCo-Host
And Just ONE of the Beths...and a Dagny :D ... Hosting the Rewards Board
BethR@wdwinfo.com</font>
poohsnow.gif

I posted fairly and honestly about my situation. I stand by my opinion that if you have more than 2 people in your party, you could be in trouble if the property can't accomodate you. If Priceline goes under, it will be because of the lack of customer service that they apply to situations that arise like mine, not because people don't want to follow the rules. I asked for nothing unreasonable, I was willing to take whatever they could give me that would accomodate us, and even offered to pay more for it. I completely understood that I was bidding on a double occupancy property and that I needed to call the hotel directly and ask for an extra bed AFTER I bid. I feel like your comments are directed towards me Sheryl, and I would just like you to know that I have used Priceline many times in the past and have always been satisfied. I did not ask for more than what was reasonable. I know people have been helped by them in the past asking for exactly what I asked for, I am only telling what happened to me, they DID NOT help. I just want some of my friends here at the DIS to know what they are doing before they bid. I only urge caution if you are traveling with your family. Using sites like Sheryls are great for gathering information. I did my homework and did not get the usual properties I get when bidding in Chicago. New properties sign up all the time and they pick their own rating (at least that is what Priceline told me) so you never know what you will get. You could be stuck, like me, and have to pay for a room you can't use. Please don't think I am telling you not to use Priceline, I am simply urging you to use caution and don't count on much help if you are unable to fit in your room. Have a Disney Day!!!! ≈

PirateJacksMom

'71-Fort Wilderness
'72-Comtemporary
'80,'85,'86,'93-offsite
'92-Dixie Landings
'95-Grand Floridian
'99-Contemporary
'99-Vero Beach
2000-Poly Concierge
Nov. 11 2000 7 Day DCL!
o

Thanks to everyone for the followups to my post.

As to a primer, I have very detailed FAQs on the board. The Hotel FAQ is located at
http://pub4.ezboard.com/fpricelineandexpediabiddinghotels.showMessage?topicID=2.topic

and the Airline Ticket FAQ is located at
http://pub4.ezboard.com/fpricelineandexpediabiddingairlinetickets.showMessage?topicID=2.topic

piratejacksmom, yes, some of my comments were directed toward you. You stated "If they had any way for you to figure it out beforehand, it would be fine." Immediately above where you place your initials agreeing to Priceline's rules appears the following: "All rooms are requested non-smoking and will accommodate up to 2 adults. Bed type requests or any special needs should be requested through your confirmed hotel and are based on availability."

Warning people what they are getting themselves into is fine. In fact, that's part of the purpose of my board. Disputing a charge because one faults what they actually agreed to is a different story.

I was just truthfully answering the initial posters question. I am sorry you didn't like all of my post, but unlike your strict board, this is a bit of a social board, too. I feel among family here and am not uncomfortable sharing the trivial traumas of my daily Disney life with the friends on this board. My dispute comes from more than the bidding process itself, but also the quality of the room I was given. I have never dispued a charge before and don't even know how to do it. I am just a normal, e veryday mom trying to get the most for my travel dollar and I am just sharing my disappointment with my DIS family. I do feel it is wrong for you to try present yourself as unbiased, since you have a website, most likely with paying advertisers, that could be in trouble if Priceline goes under. Your help here is absolutely fantastic and greatly appreciated by us all, it is your delivery and condescending comments that leave some of us uncomfortable. Please continue to help out here, but don't be upset if others post not so favorable comments about Priceline. Some of us have not had the best of experience with them recently and our opinion should be heard here, too. I was tooting their horn 2 weeks ago, not the case anymore! :)

PirateJacksMom

'71-Fort Wilderness
'72-Comtemporary
'80,'85,'86,'93-offsite
'92-Dixie Landings
'95-Grand Floridian
'99-Contemporary
'99-Vero Beach
2000-Poly Concierge
Nov. 11 2000 7 Day DCL!
o

...to keep a cool head.
Sheryl has good information to impart in a very direct way.
Others have stories to share and may be a bit more impassioned.
I ask all of you please to be tremendously informed before you use Priceline, and I ask those who know all of the ropes to understand that not everyone DOES.
Please let's not allow this thread to disinigrate into one of name-calling, finger pointing, and hard feelings. This board is for sharing information and experiences both good and bad.
Thank you so much for everyone's cooperation in this matter and let's just get back to answering the original question...

<font face="papyrus"><font size=2><font color=blue>BethR
Budget BoardCo-Host
And Just ONE of the Beths...and a Dagny :D ... Hosting the Rewards Board
BethR@wdwinfo.com</font>
poohsnow.gif

Wow! I was just posting my experience. I'm sorry if I posted 3* instead of 2*. I don't really think that the * rating mattered in this situation. I too, was just posting an answer to someones question. I'm not an idiot, I read the rules, but nobody had ever posted about not getting 2 beds until recently. Since it does happen I thought I would share! Sorry! I guess I'll keep my stories to myself.

piratejacksmom---Priceline clearly only allows you to bid on double occupancy. People assuming they can get 4 (or 5) in a room may not get what they expect BUT FOR A FAMILY you may be able to get 2 rooms (with 2 bathrooms) for the same price as 1 room without Priceline. Depending on the ages of your children that can be A GREAT DEAL FOR FAMILIES. Although no hotel will guarantee connecting rooms, depending on the ages of your children, the hotel will probably be able to accomodate you.
TravelSheryl gives good no nonsense information and I appreciate her posts her and on her board.

ANOTHER SUGGESTION TO GETTING A RATE AT THE HOTEL YOU WANT... IF YOU ARE STAYING OFF-SITE, SEARCH THE WEB FOR DIFFERENT HOTELS (I.E. DAYS INN, SHERATON, ETC.) CALL THEM DIRECTLY AND TELL THEM YOU ARE SHOPPING HOTELS AND WANT THEIR BEST DEAL AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF THEY OFFER DISCOUNT/FREE TICKETS, FREE SHUTTLES, ETC. TELL THEM THAT YOU ARE CALLING OTHER HOTELS AND WANT THEIR BEST DEAL BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT GOING TO WASTE TIME RE-CALLING TO NEGOTIATE BETTER DEALS. IF YOU WAIT UNTIL SOMETIME CLOSE TO YOUR TRIP, YOU CAN PROBABLY GET A GOOD DEAL BECAUSE USUALLY SELLING A ROOM AT ANY RATE IS BETTER THAN NO RATE AT ALL FOR THE HOTEL. SINCE THERE ARE SO MANY HOTELS TO CHOSE FROM AND I AM GOING OFF-SEASON, (IF I DON'T TAKE A PREMIER VACATION HOME) I WILL DO THIS AND PROBABLY BE ABLE TO GET WHAT I WANT.

I read and lurk more than I post - I appreciate your frankness and wonderful, helpful website. I don't recall ever disagreeing with any of your posts. Stay!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter