• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Question for those that stay in the DVC Villas

RweTHEREyet

DIS Veteran
Do you do much cooking in your villa, or is the stove basically a decoration to you?

If you do any cooking, I was wondering what types of things you find easy to prepare with the utensils, etc. that are available to you?

Where do you grocery shop, or do you have your items delivered from Von's?

Dining at DL is so different to us than at WDW, not as many places we feel we absolutely must frequent, so I am thinking this is an opportunity to perhaps save a little money on dining out.

Do you do much cooking in your villa, or is the stove basically a decoration to you?

If you do any cooking, I was wondering what types of things you find easy to prepare with the utensils, etc. that are available to you?

Dining at DL is so different to us than at WDW, not as many places we feel we absolutely must frequent, so I am thinking this is an opportunity to perhaps save a little money on dining out.

We either do a stop at a grocery store if driving or order from Vons.

Simple meals can be easily prepared in the kitchens all the basics are there - I wouldn't consider them well equipped from a gourmet standpoint.

We commonly cook frozen pizzas / entrees ( Stouffers Lasanga is a fav ), pastries / cookies from canned / tubed cookie / pastry dough.

We stock up on waters, sodas, fruit juices and snacks, small breakfast items / fruit and eat those too

I've heard that there are bbq facilities at the Grand - but I have not seen or used them - I think steaks / burgers / hot dogs would be very doable if the grills are available.

As far as dining - we always hit the Napa Rose and the Blue Bayou...other than that its all pretty much the same as any other destination / Downtown Disney - although I do like Steakhouse 55 - I just need to keep the $$$$$ meals down to one or 2 a trip...

So far we've cooked every time we've stayed at any DVC resort, most just breakfast.

They have all the basics, pots, pans, spatulas, big spoons, knives. There's also a toaster. I agree with the PP who said you're not going to do gourmet cooking. So far we've made omelets, breakfast meats, toast and the like. We've also prepared cut fruit, yogurt with granola. We've had herb tea, hot chocolate, kept sodas cold.

At the VGC someone has always had a car so they have stopped at a Von's or Ralph's to pick stuff up. There's a VERY small grocery with very high prices at White Water Snacks for basics you forgot, such as salt, butter, milk, but they also have frozen foods like lasagna. You can see some examples from a year ago in our trip report found here. You'll need to scroll down but I have some pictures of items in the grocery store with their (year ago) prices.

At WDW in AKV we had food delivered and it worked fine. That doesn't really apply directly here, but I know that there are grocery stores, such as Von's that will deliver. There's also a sheet you can fax to VGC and they'll arrange the delivery.

Since VGC is so close to the parks, unlike at WDW, you could go back to the room to cook. My wife says, however, that she didn't come to Disneyland to cook, so we keep it to a minimum. Some dining opportunities you might want to consider are:

• Bengal BBQ in Adventureland at DL. They have meat on skewers, which are really good, but my favorite is the bacon wrapped asparagas.
  • Blue Bayou is well known, but the prices keep going up. The atmosphere is great since it is inside the Pirates of the Caribbean.
  • Cafe Orleans: across from the Blue Bayou with a similar menu. The Mickey Beignets are great! If the weather is good, eat out side and enjoy people watching.
  • "Hidden window" of the French Market: found on the backside of the restaurant and a great place to get Mickey Beignets and Mint Juleps.

There are more, but that would be a completely different thread.

1. Spaghetti- meat sauce
2. Salad-
3. Vegetables of all kinds
4. My family enjoys a simple
Stroganoff

* 1 (12 ounce) package egg noodles, cooked and drained
* 6 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
* 1 onion, chopped
* 1/4 cup butter
* 1 pound lean ground beef
*can of mushroom soup and some milk
* salt and black pepper to taste
5. pop tarts and all things breakfast - fried eggs, pancakes, bacon
6. There is charcoal grills at Animal Kingdom Villas over by the courts- with picnic tables, we made hot dogs/veggie burgers and had a fun picnic- and the kids shot baskets and ran around while we cooked

7. Baked Ziti is my favorite-
2 pounds ground beef

1 large onion, chopped (about 1 cup)

7 1/2 cups Prego® Fresh Mushroom Italian Sauce

9 cups tube-shaped pasta (ziti), cooked and drained

12 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese (about 3 cups)

1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

* Cook the beef and onion in an saucepot over medium high heat until the beef is well browned, stirring often to break up the meat. Pour off any fat.
* Stir the sauce, ziti and 2 cups mozzarella cheese in the saucepot. Spoon the beef mixture into 2 (12 1/2 x 8 1/2 x 2-inch) disposable foil pans (no scrubbing on vacation) Top with the remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.
* Bake at 350°F. for 30 minutes or until the beef mixture is hot and the cheese is melted.
---This with some frozen bread - delicious...and quick...(family of five)

We also love to eat out- but on down days- we love to just stay and swim, and relax at the resort...and enjoy fresh Florida fruit, cheese, crackers, and fruit juice - we fell in love with Mango juice...

We cook every time we stay in a one bedroom or larger. We use the BBQ at every stay. We usually cook a London Broil, but cook two pieces. We cook one just a little underdone. The underdone piece is saved for breakfast. We pan fry it (with very little oil) and serve it with scrambled eggs. Makes for a quick breakfast. We buy the sourdough bread in DCA and have that for toast. We have also cooked baked chicken (add some seasonings with a little oil and bake until done) Again, I cook more than we can eat and slice the cooked chicken to make chicken sandwiches. Chicken salad is another option, but my family doesn't like chicken salad.

We shop before we leave, and pack one cooler and one box of food, so I don't have to stop and buy food. Plus, I can meat items on sale, freeze it and have it ready for packing. In order to save space, I put two sticks of butter in a ziploc bag, 1/2 gallon of milk, some vegetables and salad dressing. The meat is frozen so that saves on ice and space.

For the box of food, I buy the baby one serving size apple juice. I use the juice and save the bottle for cooking oil, salad dressing, ketchup or anything liquid that I use very little, but need for cooking. I have also been known to grab a few ketchup, mustard or mayo packages in the Parks when I forget to bring these items. I don't like doing that, but it saves me in a pinch. I also bring a box of soda and water - we don't usually consume a whole case of either. REMEMBER to bring salt and pepper. These items are in the kitchen.

It helps to have a meal plan so you can shop for the items you want on your trip, but it looks like you will have one, since you posted your question.

Have a great time.

Stroganoff

* 1 (12 ounce) package egg noodles, cooked and drained
* 6 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
* 1 onion, chopped
* 1/4 cup butter
* 1 pound lean ground beef
*can of mushroom soup and some milk
* salt and black pepper to taste

Baked Ziti is my favorite-
2 pounds ground beef

1 large onion, chopped (about 1 cup)

7 1/2 cups Prego® Fresh Mushroom Italian Sauce

9 cups tube-shaped pasta (ziti), cooked and drained

12 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese (about 3 cups)

1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

* Cook the beef and onion in an saucepot over medium high heat until the beef is well browned, stirring often to break up the meat. Pour off any fat.
* Stir the sauce, ziti and 2 cups mozzarella cheese in the saucepot. Spoon the beef mixture into 2 (12 1/2 x 8 1/2 x 2-inch) disposable foil pans (no scrubbing on vacation) Top with the remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.
* Bake at 350°F. for 30 minutes or until the beef mixture is hot and the cheese is melted.

I just may try one of these dished for dinner tonight. I just happen to have some ground beef I didn't know what to do with.:)

Only stayed there once so far but we cooked every day. My wife does not cook so I fix standard breakfast items and pasta dishes that are easy to assemble and cook. Did not use the grills at all. We had everything delivered from Vons and used our afternoon down time to do this so it did not cut into our park time. Probably will do about the same when we are there this August.

Jack

I usually bake cookies (the pillsbury or nestle pre formed ones from the store.) Does that count? Nothing's better than fresh baked cookies at the end of the day. :)

We cook in the villa no matter if we are in WDW or DLR. It's the one way we can save money. The first night I cook a huge pot of pasta usually spaghetti. Last year we grilled London broil, chicken and sausage. Our plan this year is to do the same, spaghetti Friday night with leftovers available for breakfast and lunch. Grill Saturday night with extra chicken for lunch Sunday. Sunday, sil is making fajitas. My DDs want to bake cookies for late night snacks. We shop on our way to VGC usually Costco and Ralphs.

We cook breakfast - fancy weekend breakfast like eggs benedict, french toast, etc, but we have friends that drive and they live in NorCal so they bring the dry items like bread, spices, cereal, etc then we make a costco stop once we ge there for refrigerated items (juice milk eggs). This year I'm contemplating Vons delivery to save the time though. We usually do a few dinners that are heat and serve from costco (scalloped potatoes and rotisserie chicken, premixed salad) just because we like eating in the room with our gang and don't have much time at home to do fancy breakfasts so its a treat for us to not rush through breakfast. Also let's a few of us get a couple of GRR rides in while DH is sleeping in/cooking since half our party is late risers.
The kitchen is completely functional - only thing we've needed and not found is a whisk which any specialty cookware is easy enough to grab from World of Disney store in DTD 5 min walk from your room (and I like taking them home for souveniers since they're useful). Have yet to see anybody grilling but we go in the fall which usally isn't bbq season.

We made breakfast items and had sandwiches in the room and snacks, etc. Brought some things and got the rest from Wonderland market. I think they deliver but a person in our party just walked. The only thing I'd advise you to beware of is that the skillet is a pretty crappy material and stuff sticks badly.

I have not stayed at the GC villas but figure they are similar to the ones at boardwalk.

We get a one-bedroom. It has the full kitchen. I make a roast that figures for one meal. I use the left over coked meat for french dip. The roast is a meal in one pan Potatoes, vegetables are cooked with meat. The french dip I just add a green salad for a side. Now I have two meals done. I make a Tuna/chicken. Can of cream of celery soup, some cut and cooked fresh celery. Add some cheese cook over low heat until cheese is melted. Finish cooking in oven for that at home taste.

Now don't lol but I freeze some bacon, ham, and sausage that I pack in the checked luggage. I bring some steak the same way :)

Make a shopping list that is a must. But say for the dip sandwiches. I would get the breads on property fresher and taste better.

I do pack my one cooking knife that I cook most with-- ya I know LOL Buttttt I neeeeed it --- remember pack in checked luggage.

One other idea is get the packets of seasonings. There are 4-5 spices per each special mix packet. Cooking bags make clean up so easy.

You know ordering two entrees from DTD and adding your own sides is easy and you still get the taste of Disney for so much less. You can even reverse buy the sides but make the main dish.

I wish I could afford to buy points for villas. I am not even sure I can afford to rent enough points for a stay at GC villas.

There are 6 of us so do I need to get 2 rooms or can I put 6 in a one bedroom since it is a time share?

:laundy: :dance3: :laundy: :dance3: :laundy:

Happy

I have not stayed at the GC villas but figure they are similar to the ones at boardwalk.

We get a one-bedroom. It has the full kitchen. I make a roast that figures for one meal. I use the left over coked meat for french dip. The roast is a meal in one pan Potatoes, vegetables are cooked with meat. The french dip I just add a green salad for a side. Now I have two meals done. I make a Tuna/chicken. Can of cream of celery soup, some cut and cooked fresh celery. Add some cheese cook over low heat until cheese is melted. Finish cooking in oven for that at home taste.

Now don't lol but I freeze some bacon, ham, and sausage that I pack in the checked luggage. I bring some steak the same way :)

Make a shopping list that is a must. But say for the dip sandwiches. I would get the breads on property fresher and taste better.

I do pack my one cooking knife that I cook most with-- ya I know LOL Buttttt I neeeeed it --- remember pack in checked luggage.

One other idea is get the packets of seasonings. There are 4-5 spices per each special mix packet. Cooking bags make clean up so easy.

You know ordering two entrees from DTD and adding your own sides is easy and you still get the taste of Disney for so much less. You can even reverse buy the sides but make the main dish.

I wish I could afford to buy points for villas. I am not even sure I can afford to rent enough points for a stay at GC villas.

There are 6 of us so do I need to get 2 rooms or can I put 6 in a one bedroom since it is a time share?

:laundy: :dance3: :laundy: :dance3: :laundy:

Happy

The 1 bedrooms are limited to 5 people unless they have changed since last August. Looks like a 2 bedroom may be in order. It is well worth it to use to stay at the villas since we consider where we stay as part of our yearly vacation. Best of luck.

Jack

Although we stay in DVC on all or our trips to WDW we do not always cook big meals. We shop at Publix and plan our meals in advance so we know what to purchase at the store. We plan on a pasta night and a chicken night with veggies and a dessert. Breakfast is usually cereal and fruit. We will splurge on a character breakfast. Our kids love it and they are both in the mid and late 20's. Our granddaughter, who is three, loves it too.

When we go to DL we usually do not cook meals since it is just the two of us. We usually eat 80 percent of our meals in the parks or at DTD. Its a nice change from having to pay for 6 adults and a child.

Some great suggestions. A big thanks to RweTHEREyet for starting this thread.

The funny thing is I am going to be using all my cook in the room tricks (and some of these here) for when my DD(13) plays weekend volleyball tournaments. The team stays in a resident type hotels with full kitchens. It will be easier to make breakfast to get to the courts in time (7am arrival time) and pack lunches since there is usually no food places near by. I am finding the suggestions here quite useful!

The first weekend tourney (in two weeks) will be in Cypress, only 10 minutes from DL. Another short run to DL all because of a volleyball!

Even though I am not a DVC member, it is so much more enjoable to feel like you are home. We have stayed at some of the off site hotels with suites but nothing even comes close.

Jack

We use it for breakfasts and left over lunches mostly. But we do enjoy being able to feed our kids a familiar breakfast and really enjoy getting ready while eating. We have yet to do a dinner in room. I'm sure we will at some point here... especially with 3 trips this year!

Thanks for all the responses. We very seldom cook in our villa at WDW because there are so many restaurants we like to be sure and visit when we are there. As I mentioned before, I am finding that DL doesn't have nearly as many "must-do's" for us and that is why I was thinking we might fix a few meals on this next trip. It just seems you have to buy so much that might go to waste to try and fix even simple things, like sandwiches. Even a small jar of mayo is going to get tossed at the end of a 5 day stay.

Still wondering if there might be a Trader Joes or Whole Foods near DL. We shop at both of these stores here at home and since they are familiar to me, was hoping to frequent the same stores in Anaheim.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter