Question for Those on Coumadin

MIGrandma

Lives in the middle-of-the-mitten.
When you get your blood tested, is it a regular blood draw or just a finger prick?

I was on Coumadin a few years ago and always had to have blood drawn for it, but one of my customers mentioned her doctor was able to just do a finger prick to test for it.

I've recently learned that my doctor has that capability now, and was told they are the only doctor's office in the entire county that has it.

The hospital does not have it, and I think they should.

My Mom has been on Coumadin for years and has to go for monthly blood draws and it's sometimes quite a procedure to get blood out of her for the test. I keep telling her she should go to my doctor.

But really, why don't more doctors/hospitals have the capability to do the testing with just the finger prick?

My Mom was on Coumadin for years and always had to have a blood draw. That would be wonderful if there was a finger prick option now!

Because of the nature of Coumadin, it would take forever for my Mom's arm to stop bleeding after they did the blood draw.

My dad and grandma are on coumadin and both just get a finger prick. It's almost like a blood sugar test but you get your Pt/INR results. Definitely beats a regular blood draw! :thumbsup2

Jess princess:

My FIL has blood drawn EVERY WEEK!!!:scared1: He's been on Coumadin for several years and the doc wants the blood checked every week so that he can make changes to his meds as needed. He's very careful with what he eats--no greens at all. I'm sure he would love a finger prick. I'll tell him to ask about it.

I have a regular blood draw once every 4 weeks (If I'm stable).

I remember hearing about an alternate test, even a 'home version', but never got any details.

I am on Coumadin and get a finger stick every 4 weeks at my doctor's office. However, some insurances don't cover the finger stick and will only allow the blood draw. They ask me each time which insurance I have because of that. The finger stick machine looks just like the machine that is used to check blood sugar levels for diabetes etc.

My son is on Coumadin and he gets the finger prick. He has his drawn at the student clinic at his university. Much easier for him.

(All this discussion of finger pricks makes me think about George Carlin.)

I am a nurse and can tell you our local hospital does not have the finger meter, but as a visitng nurse agency we do, as do some of the doctors.

Really a lot of it comes down to cost....EACH one of the test trips, which are purchaced at a bulk discount rate, cost $4, which may not seem like a lot, but they are WAY more sensitive/tetramental than a blood glucose strip and sometimes require another test when an error code comes up. The agency feels that it is cheaper to pay $4 per strip then to have the nurse run the blood tube to the lab, paying $0.51/mile to reimburse the nurse mileage to get it there.

Also the finger stick is not the most accurate way....if the machine/test strips are cold they can give a false reading, if someone has had Lovenox or Heparin in the past 24 hours, it can give a false reading and the big one, if someone is anemic it can give a false reading. You also need more than a 'finger stick' of blood, you need a LARGE drop or enough to pull it up in a dropper, yet you are not supposed to 'milk' the finger for it, as it can damage the sample.

I have seen some patients who are on coumadin forever, due to mechanical valve replacements, who have been able to get their own meters and test strips and for insurance to cover them. They test when the dr tells them to and then call the dr with the results.

Many of the MD offices around here (southern NH) have the fingerstick machines.. As a visiting nurse, we mostly use it also. Also have a few patients with machines at home to check it themselves, it's getting more popular.

My Dad was on Coumadin and had to have his blood drawn every week. I wish they would have been able to do just a fingerprick as it would have made his life easier.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter