Question for those of you that use the wait-list option...

prncssjas

Running, Disney, Aladdin...
Good morning,

I have a question for those of you that have used the wait-list feature for a reservation. I was on the wait-list for one night in a lake view studio at the VGF for January 2016, week after the marathon. I activated the wait-list about 2 months ago. Like many of us WDW obsessed folks, I checked my wait-list every morning (and at lunch and at night...:rolleyes1) to see if it came through. I would also check the resort availability tool, just because. :surfweb:

So I log in yesterday morning, still nothing...then tried at lunch and WOW! The room was open! I checked my wait-list and it was still active and the room not confirmed. I quickly booked the room for the night I wanted and canceled the wait-list. But I am slightly confused...how long does it take for a wait-list to kick in? This is actually the second time it's happened to me when I have used the wait-list.

There must be a delay perhaps? I am curious what others have experienced with the wait-list. For now, I will continue with my stalking I guess.... :stir:

Filling the waitlist seems to be a manual process. I had actually noticed it running much more quickly, if not instantly, over the past few days.

Filling the waitlist seems to be a manual process. I had actually noticed it running much more quickly, if not instantly, over the past few days.
That's interesting--I always thought it was a totally instantaneous process, generated by some fancy computer program.....but now I am wondering if it is manual...odd. :confused:

I was reminded by a few DISers a few months back that the waitlist is a batch system. Nothing about it is automatic. You and many other members can certainly grab a room that opens up without your waitlist for that room ever matching.

My understanding that the waitlist system is a batch computer program that is run several times a day. Between runs, all cancellations go back into the inventory and those nights are available to be booked by anyone. Once the program is run, the matches are removed from the inventory and put into a file for CM attention. The matches stay in the file until a CM has time to finish the process. CMs make the actual reservations.

I've had quite good luck with wait listing over the many years I've been a member. My most recent w/l for for a couple of nights at Aulani before the 9/17 DCL Hawaii cruise. There was virtually NOTHING to book for my needed dates. I grabbed what was there, which was a whatever view 1 bdrm. for only 1 night. So I w/l for the 2nd night in a matching 1 bdrm. Then I also w/l for what I really wanted: 2 nights in an ocean view studio for this particular trip. I was like you, obsessively checking the DVC Member site to check and see if I could snag what I needed. Never did but PTL! My w/l came through for exactly what I wanted, that ocean view for 2 nights pre-cruise!!!

I was reminded by a few DISers a few months back that the waitlist is a batch system. Nothing about it is automatic. You and many other members can certainly grab a room that opens up without your waitlist for that room ever matching.
I've had two experiences recently that make me think they've automated at least part of this process. In both cases, I saw the room and tried to grab it, but lost it. I immediately entered a waitlist request, which was filled in 30-90 minutes without ever seeing the room available again. In one of those cases, the room was immediately combined with an existing reservation. So, either they have someone working the waitlist constantly during business hours, or they've made some improvements.

I've had two experiences recently that make me think they've automated at least part of this process. In both cases, I saw the room and tried to grab it, but lost it. I immediately entered a waitlist request, which was filled in 30-90 minutes without ever seeing the room available again. In one of those cases, the room was immediately combined with an existing reservation. So, either they have someone working the waitlist constantly during business hours, or they've made some improvements.
That would be awesome if they streamlined it a bit better. I've been camping the reservation system nervously for my one missing night of my upcoming trip ever since that discussion about the batch processing.
I also have a stupid paranoid theory about my waitlist. I waitlisted for that night once before at the 7mo window, and it matched but MS didn't use the correct points and couldn't reallocate them for me since it's a sold out night. So I attempted unsuccessfully to reallocate it myself online and lost the night. It still shows up under my list of Confirmed Waitlists. When I tried to create a new waitlist, the system didn't let me because they thought it was a duplicate / already confirmed. I had to change the occupancy to not list my DD's name in order to create the new waitlist. But yes, I'm paranoid that it's not a valid waitlist request as a result. *sigh* Wish I could have more confidence in DVC's systems. :(

"Waitlist + STALKING" are best used together for optimal results.

One nuance I've noted with my waitlists, however, is that a "filled but not confirmed" waitlist drops off my 'Dashboard' even though it is still visible on the 'Manage Waitlist' page. Once the waitlist goes missing from the Dashboard, it often results in confirmation w/in 24-48 hours following.

One nuance I've noted with my waitlists, however, is that a "filled but not confirmed" waitlist drops off my 'Dashboard' even though it is still visible on the 'Manage Waitlist' page. Once the waitlist goes missing from the Dashboard, it often results in confirmation w/in 24-48 hours following.
That fits - the match has been made & put in the file and thus the waitlist has been satisfied. The actual reservation will be made once a CM is available to work the "match file". As you noticed, that can take a while (especially if the phones are very busy). :)

That would be awesome if they streamlined it a bit better. I've been camping the reservation system nervously for my one missing night of my upcoming trip ever since that discussion about the batch processing.
I also have a stupid paranoid theory about my waitlist. I waitlisted for that night once before at the 7mo window, and it matched but MS didn't use the correct points and couldn't reallocate them for me since it's a sold out night. So I attempted unsuccessfully to reallocate it myself online and lost the night. It still shows up under my list of Confirmed Waitlists. When I tried to create a new waitlist, the system didn't let me because they thought it was a duplicate / already confirmed. I had to change the occupancy to not list my DD's name in order to create the new waitlist. But yes, I'm paranoid that it's not a valid waitlist request as a result. *sigh* Wish I could have more confidence in DVC's systems. :(
All they really have to do is hold cancelations for a day or so until the wait lists can be checked. I've had good luck with the wait lists but I'm a bit of a gambler often doing 1 or 2 days at a time to build a trip.

Hello, Was wondering if you someone could help me out. I have a wait-list question that is not really related. I have 2 different resorts wait-listed for the same dates and an actually resort booked for the same dates as the wait-listed resorts. The first wait listed resort I did not add an alternate resort that was all ready booked for it to replace because I did not have one. When I wait listed the 2nd resort I added it to replace an existing resort. Then I went and booked an existing resort. LOL am I making sense? So now my question is... I only need one resort...I prefer the first resort I wait-listed... should it come available will it take the place of the existing one since I didnt add the option for it to replace? All 3 resorts are for the same dates so I am hoping it would automatically cancel the other ones? Since you can't be in all 3 places at the same time... I hope that makes sense.... I might just have to call them :)

You should call them to tell them your order of preference so they can note it in the comments section of each Waitlist. Also, technically, if either waitlist matches, they will automatically cancel your 2nd waitlist. This is very annoying and would be upsetting if your 2nd choice resort matches and they go ahead and cancel your 1st choice waitlist without consulting with you. You should see if there is any way they can prevent the automatic cancellation in that situation.

You should call them to tell them your order of preference so they can note it in the comments section of each Waitlist. Also, technically, if either waitlist matches, they will automatically cancel your 2nd waitlist. This is very annoying and would be upsetting if your 2nd choice resort matches and they go ahead and cancel your 1st choice waitlist without consulting with you. You should see if there is any way they can prevent the automatic cancellation in that situation.
Ahhh I see!! Thank you for the heads up!! I will definately call them tomorrow. This whole process is still so confusing to me. Thanks again.

Ahhh I see!! Thank you for the heads up!! I will definately call them tomorrow. This whole process is still so confusing to me. Thanks again.
You can call or you can email, calling is likely better. I'd also check the website at least daily to see if anything has filled and cancel any wait lists that you may no longer want ASAP.

PrincessaC, I know it is a bit overwhelming when you're a new DVC member, but the upside to the complexity of DVC is the versatility of usage. The more you learn how to work the program, the happier you will be! And looks like you're already well on that learning path. :flower1:

I agree. I had a 5 night waitlist at BWV in November 2013. I was able to get nights 4 & 5 by stalking the website, revised the waitlist. Then nights 2 & 3 became available, revised the waitlist. Finally night 1 came through by waitlist. Even if they held the cancellations, the problem with a 5 night waitlist is all nights have to become available at once. They used to have the option of a day by day waitlist.

Yes, DebbieB. And I do miss that option of a night at a time on a wait list. It is much easier as a rule to put together a multi-night rez by grabbing a night or 2 here and there than as you say, 5 continuous nights at once. :teacher:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter