• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Question for solo travelers to POP

Candice30

World's Greatest Aunt! -- or so the kids tell me.
i have decided to tack a couple of days on to my solo trip and do disney. i have to admit that i have stayed away from value and moderate resorts mainly because of the outside entrances to the rooms. i'm just not comfortable there and have chosen in my later trips, resorts with inside entrances.

this time however, money is definitely an issue and i just can't swing a deluxe unless a great room deal comes out. it is only for 2 nights and i want to choose POP. i read that there is only 1 bus stop at POP which is a definite plus for me. my questions then are:

1. how safe do you feel as a solo traveler walking back to your room after getting off the bus a midnight?

2. how wide spread out is the resort? are there rooms really far from the bus stop and food court?

3. any cons of being a solo traveler there?

I'll say that I felt safe walking around POP with just me and DD and believe me, she's not old enough to provide me any protection. :)

Some rooms are pretty far away, but some are pretty close. If it makes a big difference to you, you could request one or the other. (I believe some of the farther ones have the lake view while the closer ones overlook either a pool or a parking area, depending on room location.)

I don't think there are any cons to being a solo traveler at POP in and of itself. It's more likely that you'll either like POP or not, whether you're solo or with people..... For just 2 nights, it's worth it just to try it and see, imho.

Enjoy!!!

I stayed in the 50s room, about as far away from the food court as possible, about 1.5 years ago - and it felt safe to me. I agree, having the single bus stop does help it feel safer.

I hadn't even realized it until I was typing this, I was at POR in January and got off at the last bus stop, a couple of times, by myself, and I was a LOT more aware of how late it was and how few people there were around, then I was at Pop. I think it also had to do with walking through a parking lot, I think that makes me feel less comfortable.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay at Pop by myself again.

Rest assured - I've stayed solo at Pop 4 times, with the 5th coming up in May. I've stayed at the mods, and also the All-Stars, and Pop is my fav value BY FAR. I love absolutely everything about it. If you want additional info, feel free to PM me, 'kay?

Michelle

I just stayed at Pop in the 50's section on my solo trip in January and I never felt uncomfortable there. I've stayed solo in the deluxes and mods also and still felt comfortable at Pop and will be going back for another solo stay there in May.

Hi I have stayed at POP my last 3 solo trips and will be going back in July, I always feel safe, I think having one bus stop helps. It may be a long walk back to the room,butits well lite and seems to go by fast I love the POP for this. You will have a great time. Enjoy.

I haven't stayed at Pop, but at CBR three times solo and I have always felt comfortable arriving back at the resort late at night. Disney does a great job with having lit pathways. Also if there are groups getting off the bus heading in my general direction I always tend to walk closer to them.

I stayed at PC in December, 2004 and felt fine taking the bus back to my resort alone at 1 a.m. after MVMCP. I was in the 50s, Building 3, Hourglass Lake side, which is quieter than the pool side. Behind Tramp--slightly to his right when you face him.

The things I request as a solo female are: top floor and mid-point in the corridor (in this case, between elevator & stairwell). This minimizes noise from those loitering at the elevators and stairwells waiting for the rest of their group and the number of people casually walking past your room. Not a guarantee of safety, but less traffic is a plus!

Just use common sense and be aware of your surroundings and you'll be fine! :)

the Pop is not spread out - certainly not like the moderates or the deluxes for that matter.

it is much smaller than the Polyn...

now when they finish it - it won't be - but right now this is a big resort 2,880 rooms in a small area....

it is very well organized.

It also has some of the best lighting I have seem at WDW....

so don't worry - you will be fine.

that say if you feel uncomfortable call the front desk and they will get security for you....

that say most of the time the couple of thousand people following you are going to the theme parks ...... :love:

nothing is very far away at this resort....

the only problem is the food court. I do love it. but at times it can be overwhelmed.... as I say 2,880 rooms is a big property in a small area....

so either plan on going early (it opens at 6:30 am) or later 10:00 am after everyone has run off to the parks....

1. how safe do you feel as a solo traveler walking back to your room after getting off the bus a midnight?

Well, I've never walked back to my room at midnight, but had absolutely no problems walking back at 2:30 / 3:00 am. :teeth: I felt safe - it was lighted well enough and there were people out working at that time. Cleaning sidewalks, picking up trash, or whatever they were doing. I didn't stop to ask. Only issue I had, which was very funny at 2am, was that my shoes squeaked on the wet walkways going to my room.

2. how wide spread out is the resort? are there rooms really far from the bus stop and food court?

I've stayed solo at Pop twice and my first solo trip was at CSR. Definitely prefer Pop, CSR was WAAAY to spread out. At Pop, my first time, I got a preferred room in the 60's. Was close to the main building on the second floor. Was perfect. Very close to food court. Walk through the main building to the bus stop. Last month, I stayed in the 80's/90's - real close to the bus stop, a bit further to the food court than before, but definitely not spread out in my opinion.

3. any cons of being a solo traveler there?

Not in my opinion. My only issues with Pop are 1.) no hot tub :sad2: and 2.) the bus stops at the parks and DTD always seem to be the very furthest away. Not a big deal, but at 2am after spending the night at PI, it seems reeeaaallly far away. ;)

Cheers!

thanks for the replies. i feel better after hearing from people who have been there solo. i just did a break the bank - splurge trip with me and my mom over christmas and i just wanted to take a solo trip and not pay an arm or a leg. i definitely want to request top floor. not comfortable on the bottom floor of any resort, value-mod-or deluxe.

i am prepared for the food court. i have heard stories about mass people in there but i'm prepared for it. i don't mind crowds and will most like grab things to go.

thanks again and keep the tips coming!

Worst part of the food court was breakfast - I usually never eat breakfast there, but there was one morning I just HAD to get something substantial to eat ASAP. Actually, it was the morning after the squeaky shoe incident. Anyway, I couldn't believe how crowded it was for breakfast!! Definitely going to be eating in the room on my trip with my nephew. No way am I fighting lines that early!! Other times, if I went as sort of off hours, it wasn't bad at all. There were a couple times I'd come back from the park, grab something, and take it to my room. Housekeeping was great and took care of the trays for me the next day.

Cheers!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter