Question for pin collectors.... Wearing pins?

MCWifey

Earning My Ears
If you wear your pins on lanyards, bags, etc to show your favorites while on vacation (NOT ones you trade, the ones you want to keep), what backs do you use? I've heard the black rubber backs are basically useless. ;) Do you use the metal pinch, or pin-saver screw on backs?

I'm just wondering which works best for when I get my lanyard to show mine off :goodvibes

I actually use the "locking" pin backs on my "bragging lanyards".

This ensures I don't lose any. That would make me cry!

I use the locking backs from Disney. I have yet to lose a keeper so they do work. :)

They should have come with a small Allen wrench - you spin the little nut on the back open using the wrench - insert the pin back and tighten - and I mean TIGHTEN.

Hope all is well.
Ron

They should have come with a small Allen wrench - you spin the little nut on the back open using the wrench - insert the pin back and tighten - and I mean TIGHTEN.

Hope all is well.
Ron

Hey Ron..thank you...
that is the problem..we are all good at certain things...
you have found my weak spot...
I have problems hanging a picture..
I had to hire handymen..to hang my curtains.:rotfl:
So..using an Allen wrench to affix a pin..
waaay too much effort for me.:sad2:
i am fine..thanks..
I went to New york for a couple of weeks...

I get it - completely understand.

Just so you know the Allen wrench is a little L shaped piece of metal that fits into a small hole on the pin back. Turning it LEFT loosens the screw - you put a pin into it an then turn it RIGHT to tighten it.

Lefty = Loosey, Righty = Tightey

Hope you stopped into the new Disney Store @ 1540 Broadway in Times Square. While no World of Disney it is all we have up here anymore.

They have several unique NY only pins and Vinylmations (the doggone vinyls are the newest obsession - go figure).

Have a fantastic holiday.....

I get it - completely understand.

Just so you know the Allen wrench is a little L shaped piece of metal that fits into a small hole on the pin back. Turning it LEFT loosens the screw - you put a pin into it an then turn it RIGHT to tighten it.

Lefty = Loosey, Righty = Tightey

Hope you stopped into the new Disney Store @ 1540 Broadway in Times Square. While no World of Disney it is all we have up here anymore.

They have several unique NY only pins and Vinylmations (the doggone vinyls are the newest obsession - go figure).

Have a fantastic holiday.....
yes..i went there...
I got the Minnie Vinyl and i picked up some of the le stitch pins....
They did have some deals though...
and..I got lucky..
on my 2nd trip there...
they dropped the Lotso bears..that have been sold out here forever...
my son...wanted one.:confused3[he is 28]:laughing:
and..thank you for explaining what that little gadget was for..
I know I have about 4 packs floating around here..
when I find one..I will try it..
It just seems like..so much effort.:rolleyes1

It's not much effort at all, BUT be careful to not tighten too much. Some people have reported that their posts have broken from overtightening. It's never happened to me (and I've got a lot of pins I attach to my park bag and I have a pirates lanyard that's completely full of locked pins and some on another lanyard as well) but I don't overtighten. What I do is put the pin where I want it, put the back on, tighten until it's just tightened and then turn it one more full turn and that's it. Just be sure to have one of the allen wrenches with you just in case you need it. :)

I have one of these:
15482479.jpg

I love it! It shows my favorite pins in the mickey head.
I use it to store my pins in the snap-in binder at home and then bring just the bag as a purse to the parks ^_^

We used the locking backs from Disney the first time we went and we kind of went overboard on the pins. The next year, we bought more pins and locking backs only to realize that the new locking backs had a different sized allen wrench. We still have several pins that we can't get off our lanyards/bags because of this. We talked to several pins stands and have been to the pin store in DTD a few times and no one has had any explanation.

So, we don't use the locking backs. We also did have several snap the backs off, but we may very well have been tightening them too much. We use these:

Ok, direct links are not allowed, but if you search them name "disneypatriot" on ebay, he carries the backs we use. They are like tie tacks, but they don't have the ball on the end. If you pull the pin from the front, it just makes the back tighter, you have to grab the back of the pin and pull up to release it.

Also, my husband and I each carry a messenger bag (for all our stuff) and put our "keeper" pins on the bag. Our lanyards have our traders on it. Our kids have bucket hats that have their "keepers" on them and then wear their traders on their lanyard. It cuts down confusion for our kids (and keeps them from giving away pins in the heat of the moment lol) and they still get to wear all their pins and show them off. HTH

I've used both the locking backs and the regular rubber Mickey backs for the pins my Dad wears on his ball cap. He dis-liked the locking backs because they hurt, so he went back to the Mickey backs and hasn't lost any pins. (It surprised me, but I think if you get 'new' backs that are still tight, they have a pretty good grip.) For me, I've used the locking backs on the pins I wear on my bag (purse) and haven't lost any of those either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter