Question for people just back from wdw

joshua4

DIS Veteran
I just read on another forum that someone said they stopped doing the RD at the studios -- instead, people just went through the turnstyles and could walk to tsm from there. I havent seen anything about that on these boards and was wondering if they have really changed the way that they open the park at Studios. If you were at the studios in the last week or so, would be so helpful to know if they no longer have a rope drop -- thanks.

Lauren

We were there Thursday, the park was scheduled to open at 9am. We got to the gates around 8:50 and they were letting people in. Not sure what time they started. We fast pass TSM and rode RNR 2 times and TT 2 times(used child swap) DH got FP while we did 1st ride. Both had 10 min. Wait.
Angie

I was there last Monday (the 2nd) and they did not do the rope drop. We got there about 8:50 also and were let right in and to our destination. Someone asked at the gates and they said it was a special gift to the guests that day...no way of knowing if it is a permanent change like over at Epcot.

We got a FP for TSM and then go on and through the ride by 9:30. We were a party of two though so we skipped the whole steps queue.

Liz

Wow -- that is interesting. That will really change the dynamic in the morning. I would imagine that it cuts down on the tsm stampede. Thanks for reporting back.

On the way home now. No RD at either DHS or Epcot. A CM at Epcot told us this is permanent because of the craziness from people running. She said at about 8:40 they just start letting people in.

We were there 12/17 and 12/23 about 10 minutes before opening and no RD- just walked in.

On the way home now. No RD at either DHS or Epcot. A CM at Epcot told us this is permanent because of the craziness from people running. She said at about 8:40 they just start letting people in.

We were at EP for EMH at Christmas and we arrived at 7:50 for an 8am EMH. The lines were huge and they did not start letting people through the turnstiles until 8am. We did not get to the front until about 8:35. Not much EMH time.

So how does that work - are the rides open early also, or are you just allowed in the park to get fast passes and where you want to go, but rides don't start until open time?

We were at the studios on December 23rd, got there in advance of opening, they opened the turnstiles about 30 minutes ahead of listed park opening time and once we got through the turnstiles everything was open, went right to TSMM and it was open! Didn't ask anybody about it though. When my parents were there the first weekend in December they still did rope drop and the "running of the bulls" as my Dad calls it ;)

I think they stopped the rope drop shows at all parks except MK a while ago. I remember reading about it while planning my trip, and I went in September.

Actually we did have to wait through a "show" at the turnstiles on 12/23 while waiting for them to open, the lines were VERY long and building outside, they filmed all of us saying something for the LMA show at 11AM, a lady with a megaphone went over a lot of special happenings at the park that day, etc. etc. etc. it took at least 10 minutes. Then they opened the gates.
We don't usually go that early so I don't know if that is typical for DHS. I was just surprised when my husband called me and said "come on, there is no rope drop, it is open" on his way to TSMM!

I talked to the CM at the entry to the TSM FP line about it on 1/2. He said they were keeping it hush-hush, but in light of the holiday crowds, they were opening HS 30 minutes early, and that they'd opened the ride (at least TSM) and the FP machines early, too.

Can't say if they'll continue it much longer, but it definitely made for easy FPs. There was NO line when I got there at 9:15, and still got FPs for 10:35. :)

We were there 12/21. We got there about RD (not quite sure) and walked right in. Mom went for the TSMM FPs (which were already to I think 1 in the afternoon) and we went straight on ToT. She then rejoined us for RnRC. Of course, we were traveling with my aunt and uncle, who were about 30 minutes behind us (they left the BWI at about the same time, but chose to take the boat (which they just missed) instead of walking). Their TSMM FPs weren't until about 6:30.... I found out later from either EasyWDW or Touringplans or Studios Central that they were opening DHS 30 min early because of crowds.

Last month when I was at Hollywood Studios on 12/18/11 they had opened at 9:00 AM. Well I believe they let us in the gates at 8:30 AM and just before the opening there was someone on a micraphone who kept describing all the attractions and etc, then at 9:00 AM we were allowed to start walking towards Toy Story Mania.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter