Question for married women who have cruised on just a birth certificate

rkwells

DIS Veteran
I am planning on the using birth certificates instead of getting passports...my birth certificate, of course, has my maiden name on it. How do I prove that's me??? For those of you who have done this were there any problems??

Thanks!

Since all your documentation will have your maiden name on it (birth certificate, driver's license, passport, etc) you will have to book and travel under your maiden name. My friend just honeymooned on DCL a year ago and had that same question.

You can bring your marriage license to show you got married. However, if it is a honeymoon then, you just book everything in your maiden name.

Since all your documentation will have your maiden name on it (birth certificate, driver's license, passport, etc) you will have to book and travel under your maiden name. My friend just honeymooned on DCL a year ago and had that same question.

Thanks for the reply!:goodvibes I have been married a long time so my documentation is all different from my birth certificate. This never even crossed my mind until I was getting my paperwork together and took a look at my birth certificate.

My mom has cruised twice with us on DCL with her married name on all the documents and there hasn't been a problem with her BC. She brought along her marriage license but they didn't ask for it.

I am planning on the using birth certificates instead of getting passports...my birth certificate, of course, has my maiden name on it. How do I prove that's me??? For those of you who have done this were there any problems??

Thanks!

I just used my birth certficate last year in April on a Carnival cruise. No problem at all. Obviously it also had my maiden name on it. Never any question at all. You will be just fine. :cutie:

I heard starting in Dec. 2010 everyone will need a passport to cruise. Might as well get one. We were going to get ours before the rumored March 11th passport price increase of $35 .... but our 11 yr old son went into the hospital unexpectedly due to his heart problems. (He's fine now, just came home yesterday) Anyone know if it is actually true about the price increase? Thanks. :)

My drivers license does NOT have my maiden name on it. Anyone else??? Only my birth certificate does. No problem for me when we cruised last year. Just check with Disney to be sure. Good luck.:cutie:

I cruised once without a passport, and took both my birth certificate and marriage license. That is what was suggested by the cruise line also.

A passport would certainly resolve any conflict.

Then you could leave the birth certificate and marriage certificate at home.

DW and I have been married 28 years, and her birth certificate and naturalization papers haven't left the safe deposit box at the bank since she got a passport. She uses it for stuff here at home too, like when we bought life insurance and had to have proof of identification and citizenship. It would also be good for getting a job since you are now required to show proof of legal residence.

I've cruised on my birth certificate, but after changing my name. I've never had a problem with it, I usually show my drivers license for a photo ID (which has only my married name on it), so maybe that's why. I've always carried a certified copy of my marriage license just in case, but never needed it. I agree with the other posters, though, it was much easier once I got a passport. Enjoy your cruise! :goodvibes

I heard starting in Dec. 2010 everyone will need a passport to cruise. Might as well get one. We were going to get ours before the rumored March 11th passport price increase of $35 .... but our 11 yr old son went into the hospital unexpectedly due to his heart problems. (He's fine now, just came home yesterday) Anyone know if it is actually true about the price increase? Thanks. :)

First, there is no problem cruising with a birth certificate in maiden name and photo ID and cruise booked in married name. You do not need to bring a marriage license. As other posters have stated, if all your documents are in maiden name (as in a honeymoon cruise) you need to use that name to book the cruise.

The price increase was posted for public comment for 30 days which expired on March 11. They will now review the comments, post the increase, and then put it into effect. Since it has not yet been posted, we don't know when it will become effective. However...does anyone really think that they are just jumping thru hoops--of course they're going to raise the fees. The only question is on what date. SO, if you are thinking of getting a passport, I'd do it sooner rather than later.

Thanks so much to all for helping me out with your personal experiences and advice!:thumbsup2
As we are leaving in a week it's too late for a passport, but after reading here I am comfortable with just the birth certificate and ID.

We just cruised last month on the Wonder. No passports for any of us (me, dh, and 2 small kids). We only used BC's and I never even thought about the BC only having my maiden name. No problems whatsoever! We did not like cruising enough to do it again any time soon and have no plans for travel outside the U.S. SOOOOO glad I saved the $400 and skipped the passports :thumbsup2

We just called a couple of weeks ago and you still do not need a passport to go on the cruise...you ONLY need a passport if you think you may have to fly(in an emergency) from a port outside of the US...like, from the Bahama's, but if you are staying on the cruise, and you KNOW you will not be deciding to fly back to the US, you still only need your birth certificate and your ID.

I cruised last year with just my birth certificate and I will be doing the same in May for our 4 day. My birth cert has my maiden name and all other documents (drivers license,etc.) have my married name. It was never an issue with DCL at all. They did not ask for my marriage license or anything of that nature. Don't worry, you will be just fine with just a birth cert with your maiden name :lovestruc

I thought about using just my birth certificate for our last cruise but was afraid I would sink! :lmao: Sorry, couldn't resist.

I don't think you'll have any problem. Enjoy your cruise. :goodvibes

I thought about using just my birth certificate for our last cruise but was afraid I would sink! :lmao: Sorry, couldn't resist.

I don't think you'll have any problem. Enjoy your cruise. :goodvibes

I can always count on my DIS "friends" for a laugh!:rotfl2:

Again, thanks to all, now I am really totally confident it will be fine...5 more days till we leave for our cruise:cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter