question for Florida residents

Nope - I didn't take you as argumentative at all and hope I didn't come off that way either. Some things are more challenging to type in a certain tone.

I cannot find the link about surrendering your out of state if you want to claim Fl residency status. Either way, even just for a new ID, it has gotten tuffer. What really burns me up about this, is the fact those of us who have been here for many many years, have a valid FL DL will get a one time chance to renew online without the hassle of the new requirements.. once that is done, for us to renew, we must provide all this :eek: Nearly everyone I know here is up in arms about it. I pray they change it back.
I was married, divorced, then remarried all in NY... dating back to 1978... that is how far back I have to go for these papers.. my birth cert is no problem, I have that...
I have to get originals of the others from NY to show when I renew. I have some of it in a safety box, but my divorce papers are on that filmy paper that fades :scared1:

again, I don't want you to think I am trying to deter anyone from trying to get a state issued ID, or being a bi***... I am not ..
I would hate for anyone to think they were ok and they would get the ID, then not. I think that is why Disney has changed some of their requirements as well.. to soften the blow with what you would need to get a state issued ID now.. :goodvibes

I guess I just don't understand what the criteria for resident and non-resident is - and I can't find it anywhere. It shouldn't be difficult to obtain as I have all of the necessary criteria according to current requirements. Nothing on there says you must surrender or present a DL to obtain an ID.

We'll see I guess. Frankly Disney hasn't checked the date on my current ID in about 4 years.

no that it doesn't!!! My uncle could not get the state issued ID because he (I guess let them know he had a DL when they asked) would not turn over his DL to have a FL DL as ID.. get what I am saying...
if you have a valid licence from another state & you will not turn it over to a FL issued one, they will not issue you a FL ID card.. they will issue you a FL DL that states non-resident. I do think this is due to the fraud in those applying for homestead to save on their real estate taxes..

I cannot find the link about surrendering your out of state if you want to claim Fl residency status.

I have an application for a FL drivers license/ID card here in front of me. On the back it does say that any out of state license/id must be surrendered before applying for a FL license/ID.

And the reason I have this at home is because I am changing my last name, I took in my new ss card and my court orders. I have to go back with my birth certificate & 2 documents to prove my residential address.

I found this but it is a newspaper story about the law.....:lmao:

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2009/nov/26/new-rule-requires-part-timers-surrender-state-driv/

The federal requirement mandates that part-time residents no longer can hold an out-of-state driver license and a Florida driver license simultaneously.

It used to be that a part-time Florida resident could come here, apply for a driver license and receive one that is valid in Florida only. That meant they could keep the license of their home state and use their Florida license while in this state.

The Real ID Act was put in place to increase security and reduce fraud. Initially approved in 2005, the government delayed its implementation until this year.

In Collier County, there are 9,696 licenses categorized as “Valid in Florida Only.” Of those license holders in Collier County, 8,318 have addresses in Naples.

Those who previously were issued licenses that still are valid in Florida can continue to use them until they expire.

New part-time residents must release their out-of-state driver licenses if they want to get a Florida license.

Most states insist new residents turn in their out-of-state license and get a new license.

However, part-time residents in Florida aren’t required to get a Florida driver license unless they want a job within the state or they want to put their children in the public school system. Those who fall into that category need to get a Florida driver license within 30 days.

Many residents hadn’t heard of the legislative changes but upon learning about it, North Naples resident Anita Panaccion, 59, said it’s a good idea.

The legislative change may reduce the chance of someone using his or her dual license as a form of fraud.

The Real ID Act imposes certain security, authentication and issuance procedures and standards for state driver licenses and ID cards. The requirement established new national standards for state-issued driver licenses and ID cards.

So far, 30 states, including Florida, have met or are in the process of meeting minimum security requirements for issuing state driver licenses.

“I don’t think it’s a bad idea,” said Naples Park native, Alex Caffrey, 20, who hadn’t heard of the requirement.

North Naples resident Steven Richards hadn’t heard of the requirement either and didn’t see how it would affect him because he isn’t a part-time resident.

Before the Real ID Act, states set their own rules and criteria regarding the issuance of driver licenses and identification cards, including the look of the card, what data is on the card, what documents must be provided to obtain one, and what information is stored in each state’s database of licensed drivers and identification card holders.

As of Jan. 1, 2010, Florida will have new documentation requirements for residents renewing or obtaining a new driver license or identification card. Applicants must present primary identification in the form of a valid birth certificate or passport, proof of a Social Security number in the form of a paycheck, W-2 form or Social Security card and proof of residential address, including a Florida voter registration card, vehicle registration or title.

More information can be found from gathergoget.com.

I am now seeing that this isn't just FL who is or will be doing these requirements. I guess each State wants people to have one state of residency... that means a lot of headaches for people proving who they are, especially females who have had several name changes. :headache: Either this will drop the divorce rate, or the marriage rate.. not sure yet :rotfl:

I guess I just don't understand what the criteria for resident and non-resident is - and I can't find it anywhere. It shouldn't be difficult to obtain as I have all of the necessary criteria according to current requirements. Nothing on there says you must surrender or present a DL to obtain an ID.

We'll see I guess. Frankly Disney hasn't checked the date on my current ID in about 4 years.

:chat: if all else fails, keep your fingers crossed that when it does expire, you will be living here full time anyway....:teleport:

I have an application for a FL drivers license/ID card here in front of me. On the back it does say that any out of state license/id must be surrendered before applying for a FL license/ID.

And the reason I have this at home is because I am changing my last name, I took in my new ss card and my court orders. I have to go back with my birth certificate & 2 documents to prove my residential address.

That was what I thought. And for those who will not let on that they have an out of state DL just to get a Fl ID card, will end up being caught. Seems this new rule/law isn't just for FL. I was just reading it will be for all of the United States. It is called the REAL ID ACT and it is nation wide. It is to cut down on fraud and help with homeland security.. Here is a link that has Q&A's about it....

http://www.flhsmv.gov/realid/index.html

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter