Question for Experienced Home/Villa Renters

shenaniganzz

DIS Veteran
I would like some feedback from those who have rented privately before.

In November we rented a villa in Orlando. We checked in on a Saturday. By Monday, we discovered that there were roaches in the kitchen. Lots of them. I hate to use the term infested or overrun because that is subjective. But by Sunday, I could see them in the sink and baby roaches on the counters and by Monday, every time I opened the dishwasher, you'd see several scurrying. By the time we left, roaches would run around the counter, up walls, etc.

The owner contacted me about garbage disposal on Monday and I advised her that she had roaches in the unit. We were waiting to see her response but there was none that evening or the next morning and we left for the day. Upon return that evening, we found a note on the door from the management company stating the unit had been sprayed including "baseboards, doors and all areas of the kitchen" and to be cautious in these areas.

We had no notice whatsoever. I am curious what others experiences have been with regard to notice from an owner or management company in an occupied villa.

This is the Coles Notes version. I just want to know what others do or would expect if in a similar situation.

TIA!

We have had visits from management companies in condos that we've rented while we were not there. It was slightly unsettling to know that someone was in our unit, but it was written into the rental agreement that the management company reserved the right to enter to unit as needed. Our belongings were not disturbed - they did what they had to do, and left.

I am new to this but I have just booked a townhome in Paradise Palms and their terms & conditions state that "It may be necessary for staff or agents of our management company to enter the premises in order to perform routine maintenance or repairs."

So, probably this is how things work.

It wasn't in her contract. When we expressed our displeasure about it, she advised us that it was in the contract but I checked (because I didn't recall it being in there) and it isn't. When I provided a copy of the contract to her, she admitted it was an omission and said she would add the terms.

MommyDonald, I will PM you.

I think it would be standard common courtesy (and also standard practice) to let the holidaymakers know if a management company was going to enter the property.

Infestations of bugs are a disaster for an owner but can from time to time happen but i would expect an owner to respond immediately by email and give notivce that the management company are going to come round and inspect/resolve.

To ensure you get a good owner and service i would look for reviews on google and on this board. If there are positive reviews of the owner/property going back several years you know you will be ok.

Cheers,
Dave

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter